Good to be back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to be back

Probably one of the better times to jump back into the forum straight after a win at home at the start of a new decade.

Last few games prior to this have been tough to take and even conceding late today was an annoyance to an otherwise excellent performance... but the interesting thing to note is that the style of play hasn't changed at all. A lot who've been at the matches will say the same but honestly speaking we all know the biggest issue we've had in recent times is taking our chances, which we've been awful at... you just have to look at the number of shots inside the box since our last win to realise this:

Barnsley 8 shots in the box (5 goals); QPR 9 shots in the box (3 goals)
    QPR 15 shots in the box (2 goals); Charlton 9 shots in the box (2 goals)
    Reading 7 shots in the box (1 goal which was from outside the box); QPR 9 shots in the box (0 goals)
    QPR 9 shots in the box (1 goal which was from outside the box); Hull 5 shots in the box (2 goals)

It then comes at no surprise that eventually we had to balance out and today was that day:

QPR 10 shots in the box (6 goals); Cardiff 9 shots in the box (1 goal)

Were we perfect? Maybe offensively we were close to it but we've still got a way to go to improving the defense; though credit where it's due, Geoff Cameron coming in at right back today totally changed things from where we were with Todd Kane there. The reality for us is that we don't need wing backs when we have the attack we do. We need players who focus and line up the defense solidly and Cameron came in and did exactly that in a way we haven't seen this season.

Now we just need a defense that doesn't give away over 13 fouls a game (giving away more fouls than taking shots btw) and doesn't get 52 bookings and 2 reds in half a season and a keeper who can make more saves (Lumley has saved 2.2 shots per game on average, that's 22nd out of 26 in the ranking of keepers who have played 13 games or more this season, which is made worse by the fact that he's conceded the second most goals in the league).

The club won't be spending much money in January I don't think, even if we make some sales. The loan market and free agent market will be our biggest entry point and we've seen that this is very hit and miss (For every Hugill, Wells and Amos, there's a Smith, Kane and Mlakar). With that being said I think if the club just targets the right spots to strengthen, a lot of good can happen for us.

I don't know how frequently I'll be back posting; working as much as I have been has made it difficult to post content to forum when I'm having to provide similar stuff to other clubs, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on what's being said here and hopefully we can all be part of seeing positive change in the club that takes us forward in a sustainable manner.

COYRS!
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Welcome back Nas and Happy New Year!
    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
    Work Best When Open...
    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post
      Welcome back Nas and Happy New Year!
      Happy New Year to you too mate! Thank you for being a big part of the reason I'm back haha. Looking forward to a constant flow of positive energy from the club this decade!
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Welcome back Nass

Comment

Welcome back statman.

Comment

Welcome back, Nasser95
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

I wondered what had happened to u nas also Ted ,facto and Ramsey , happy NY

Comment

Why did you have a temporary break mate?

Comment

Welcome back and yes, I agree, the lads took their chances this time unlike in recent games since November

Yes, I also agree that QPR need a defence that primarily defends and allows Chair Eze BOS and Wells and Amos to do the attacking.

Comment

Thank you all for the welcome back.

Honestly, the break wasn't even intentional , with my work this year in football, I've totally cut down my football-related hobbies because it just feels like more work haha. Only thing that hasn't changed is that I still go to almost every home game. But I'm still analysing, doing stats and everything as I used to, just monetising it more. Hopefully this year I can create a bit more time to go back to some slightly more regular posting.

Stanis, I have it on fairly decent authority that the club is either not looking to spend any money on transfer this January or isn't looking for a centre back at this moment... Hopefully a right back will be something they look into at the very least and another keeper to force everyone to stay on their toes.

Comment

Working...
                    X