Lee Wallace (5 at the back)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Wallace (5 at the back)

Getting pretty tired now of seeing Wallace played at CB when he's quite clearly a LB. I've got nothing against him at all and think when played at LB he will do a great job for us, its just unfortunate for him that its Ryan Manning's shirt to lose right now.

You dont play 5 at the back when you dont have the CB's for it, the only time its worked this season is when Barbet, Hall and Leistner have played as a 3. Geoff Cameron and Lee Wallace playing CB in that system is an absolute disaster. A quick breakdown for you of the results this season when playing 5 at the back with Wallace at CB:

Leeds 2 - 0 QPR (WALLACE CB)

QPR 2 - 2 Middlesbrough (WALLACE CB + Mix up with Manning led to Boro goal)

Fulham 2 - 1 QPR (WALLACE CB)

QPR 0 - 4 Nottingham Forest (WALLACE CB + RED CARD)

Derby 1 - 1 QPR

Birmingham 0 - 2 QPR

QPR 2 - 0 Preston

Barnsley 5 - 3 QPR (WALLACE CB)

Anyone notice a pattern? We haven't won a single game playing this system apart from when its been Barbet, Hall and Leistner. As soon as we switched to a 4, we went unbeaten in 3 and conceded just 1 goal.

I'm 100% up for playing 5 at the back when we have the players for it, but why switch to it when Barbet is injured and we've just gone 3 unbeaten playing with a 4? I understand that rotation is important in this period, but there's 0 need to play players out of position and change system.

I want to clarify that this is not me criticising Wallace, he's clearly not a centre-half and gets exposed when we play him there. I think he'll be great at LB and from what the players say he's been great for the dressing room, it's just unfortunate for him that Mannings performed the way he has this season.

Also like to add that I'm happy with Warburton and the season so far, I just cant help but think we could be slightly higher if it wasnt for some strange team selections like the above.

Wallace played LB today with Manning in front of him. He was awful. Very slow and indecisive. Warburton's decision to change the back line that had conceded 1 goal in 3 matches was just plain stupid. Surely they knew Barnsley were a team of young, fast, albeit inferior footballers yet they decide to slip Wallace back into the line-up; dumb! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerod View Post
      Wallace played LB today with Manning in front of him. He was awful. Very slow and indecisive. Warburton's decision to change the back line that had conceded 1 goal in 3 matches was just plain stupid. Surely they knew Barnsley were a team of young, fast, albeit inferior footballers yet they decide to slip Wallace back into the line-up; dumb! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
      Wallace too slow. Leistner too slow. Cameron too slow. Hall too slow. I know what? I'll play them all together, that should work!! Thick decision from a supposedly intelligent manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerod View Post
        Yeah, he also switched Wallace to CB during the game which just made things worse and we continued to concede. Shambles!

Comment

Working...
        X