The Lumley Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lumley Issue

Joe's issue is not youth and inexperience. He simply isn't goalie-sharp upstairs.

Just heard his Loftcast interview where he talks about needing mental resilience.

We see little evidence of that from him on the field where his distribution is slow, his decision-making is slow, and his reactions to set plays are usually timid.

In this interview with Andy Sinton (arguably the BEST thing about following QPR) Lumley seems unnervingly unsure about himself, and slow to grasp the flow off the conversation.

Says it all.

In American football, the quarterback is the most important position on the field. Yet the best quarterbacks are ones that have mental sharpness, who can see an opportunity and immediately take advantage of it.

IMHO, I see none of this potential in Joe, at least not at the Championship level.

Priority number one for the club is recruiting/signing a veteran keeper who has these qualities, who can command the defense from the back line, who's unafraid to get his cleats dirty.

He's just a tall, lanky streak of pi ss. I thought that on his debut. Never a commanding keeper that has any real attributes. Unfortunately that's just the reality of it and he will just keep costing us points
    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

He's a young lad, being asked to play out from the back, with a defence in front of him who aren't up to the task.
      Any error by a keeper is compounded as they are the last line of defence, but he's been badly let down by those in front of him.

The mental resilience he needs is probably more to do with dealing with the armchair critics who pounce on any slip up and slate him all over message boards and social media.

I have more confidence in him than Kelly, and I think he badly misses Furlong who was always his go to guy for distribution out wide.

Comment

Not written him off. Some errors last season but also showed promise. This season bit of a car crash. Ideal would be for him to get out of firing line for a while and go on loan somewhere. He can lick his wounds and then come back and try and force his way back him.

Comment

Would help him more if he a) didn't try and play as a sweeper keeper and b) had a proper CB pairing in front of him.

Comment

The mistakes he has made have been down to him and him alone.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
              This , defence has been poor all season but they can’t be blamed for his numerous errors.

Comment

His distribution is terrible. He can't kick to save his life. Passing out from the back just invites more unnecessary pressure than we can't justify at this level.
                Last edited by Joe90; 05-12-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

play football when u can launch it when under pressure .... it isnt rocket science

Comment

Originally posted by 72bus View Post
                    play football when u can launch it when under pressure .... it isnt rocket science
                    You'd think wouldn't you!

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
                      Same goes for the defence then doesn't it because you cannot tell me that none of them have made mistakes.

Fact is that this season at the back, we have been poor all round.

Comment

I started this thread questioning Lumley’s ability to compete at this level.

Today, Lumley played a solid game and gained immensely from the long-due decision to not play everything out from the back.

Kudos to Joe today.

Hope he can build on this experience.

Comment

Really pleased for Lumley, he had a great game today. It made such a difference to him and the defence not faffing around passing out from the back.

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
                            I started this thread questioning Lumley’s ability to compete at this level.

Today, Lumley played a solid game and gained immensely from the long-due decision to not play everything out from the back.

Kudos to Joe today.

Hope he can build on this experience.
                            agreed. cutting out the nonsense playing the ball out from the back made a massive difference to his game and hopefully his confidence will return.

Comment

Working...
                            X