Style of play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post

I doubt we will ever agree on Ollie. Loved his first spell with us, loathed his second. Yes forwards were poor but you could argue he had Smithies in goal and players in defence like Chief and Robinson. In fact at that point Sylla was fairly highly rated at this level. It was the way he set up the team with that awful system for months on end with wing backs when we didn't have any wing backs until someone said or did something and forced a change. Mainly that system looked carp so it was chuck Smith on and long ball bit hoping for the best. The way sometimes players just looked confused as what they were meant to be doing. His weird outbursts and comments at times. Says a lot that he left over a season ago, touted his availability and has got nowhere management wise. 11 months between away wins at one stage. Those six game losing runs. Almost relegating us in his first season from a position of safety. I really don't see how he could have been much worse.

The players Ollie brought through ... Manning who then faded quite quickly. Eze had a mini run after changes had been made to style of play mainly so whether that was down to him don't know. Odd appearances for likes of Shopido and Oteh. Smyth started a small number of games then faded. Think Chair may have played once in a Cup? I just don't see him as a champion of youth. That is history reinventing itself.

Agree dressing room better and partly down to deadwood gone on nice contracts but some of that is down to the player recruitment which from the outside looks like a combination of MW and Sir Les.

Regardless of views on previous managers things looking good for first time in Uncle's reign (ok Amit now!) so hope he is enjoying it as much as me!
    Yup. But those players were 19 at the time and went out on loan to gain some experience so the club generally, managers and coaches have managed that situation well.

I don't want to highjack this thread to start another Olly debate.

We are playing well under MW and I'm loving it. Hopefully, I'lI get to see us live this season shortly having only seen the Oxford friendly. Away to Leeds and home to Boro are pencilled in.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

I think he is a good player as I said. Started badly but has got better each game.
      He's just back from being sent off 2 games ago. Hardly getting better then. Have to agree to disagree on this one Croydon.

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post

He's just back from being sent off 2 games ago. Hardly getting better then. Have to agree to disagree on this one Croydon.
        If you're just looking at that fact rather than how he is playing in the 90 mins then yes. I'm not alone in thinking he has improved but yes it's all about opinions

Comment

Originally posted by Dono77 View Post

He maybe better as a defensive Midfielder ( keep him away from the penalty area )

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post

I doubt we will ever agree on Ollie. Loved his first spell with us, loathed his second. Yes forwards were poor but you could argue he had Smithies in goal and players in defence like Chief and Robinson. In fact at that point Sylla was fairly highly rated at this level. It was the way he set up the team with that awful system for months on end with wing backs when we didn't have any wing backs until someone said or did something and forced a change. Mainly that system looked carp so it was chuck Smith on and long ball bit hoping for the best. The way sometimes players just looked confused as what they were meant to be doing. His weird outbursts and comments at times. Says a lot that he left over a season ago, touted his availability and has got nowhere management wise. 11 months between away wins at one stage. Those six game losing runs. Almost relegating us in his first season from a position of safety. I really don't see how he could have been much worse.

The players Ollie brought through ... Manning who then faded quite quickly. Eze had a mini run after changes had been made to style of play mainly so whether that was down to him don't know. Odd appearances for likes of Shopido and Oteh. Smyth started a small number of games then faded. Think Chair may have played once in a Cup? I just don't see him as a champion of youth. That is history reinventing itself.

Agree dressing room better and partly down to deadwood gone on nice contracts but some of that is down to the player recruitment which from the outside looks like a combination of MW and Sir Les.

Regardless of views on previous managers things looking good for first time in Uncle's reign (ok Amit now!) so hope he is enjoying it as much as me!
            Gave up at the bit where you rated nedum. Shows a lack of footballing knowledge unfortunately
            I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

Gave up at the bit where you rated nedum. Shows a lack of footballing knowledge unfortunately
              I find it quite hurtful that you wouldn't give the time to try and educate a poor R in need and cure them of their ignorance.

Ollie was clearly great with us second time around. See my previous post about losing runs etc. I am sure had we kept him we would be at least as well off as we are now ...

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post

Perhaps you should have persevered, there was a lot of sense in the rest of the post. Also, I recall a great outpouring of grief amongst many when Nedum was let go, but then my memory isn't what it was once.

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Perhaps you should have persevered, there was a lot of sense in the rest of the post. Also, I recall a great outpouring of grief amongst many when Nedum was let go, but then my memory isn't what it was once.

I cant say the chief was any better than Leisner. Seem pretty similar to me and cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

I cant say the chief was any better than Leisner. Seem pretty similar to me and cheaper.

Ned had a good partnership with Dunne but as an individual CB, I'd take the BFG over Onuha every time.

Comment

barbet good on ball but gives away a pen/ makes an error leading directly to a goal every game. JN

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

You could well be right, but at the time fans hadn't seen Leisner, and many still held Nedum in high regard, possibly for his previous endeavours.

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

You could well be right, but at the time fans hadn't seen Leisner, and many still held Nedum in high regard, possibly for his previous endeavours.
                          Hmmm. I seem to remember the majority calling out a mistake a game. I never felt comfortable when he had the ball at his feet, and was glad when he moved the ball on. Always seemed pretty static and immobile to me. An average championship player and now hitting the heights of Salt Lake City...I wasnt too disappointed to see him move on

Comment

Working...
                          X