X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end is nigh

For the matcday programme.
    A real shame but time stands still for no man

24.99 for a digital season subscription verses 125 quid for a paper copy in the post that often arrives after matchday.
    As a youngster the programme was a massive part of the match experience for me, the glossy pictures, the smell even, sad I know but its true.
    Paper copies still available at 3.50 on the day or 1.99 for a digital version, people will probably be able to download it the night before a game or on the way to a game to read on the train etc, the end is in sight and it's a real shame but eventually paper copies will not be cost effective and everyone who wants one will have it on their phone.

Originally posted by loftbalcony View Post

24.99 for a digital season subscription verses 125 quid for a paper copy in the post that often arrives after matchday.
    As a youngster the programme was a massive part of the match experience for me, the glossy pictures, the smell even, sad I know but its true.
    Paper copies still available at 3.50 on the day or 1.99 for a digital version, people will probably be able to download it the night before a game or on the way to a game to read on the train etc, the end is in sight and it's a real shame but eventually paper copies will not be cost effective and everyone who wants one will have it on their phone.

Stopped buying them years ago , internet killed the programme all information available on there now

Comment

Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Stopped buying them years ago , internet killed the programme all information available on there now
      Yes I agree regarding stats, fixtures etc but many a good article/interview/opinion is only ever published in the match day programme.

Comment

Completely agree - I complete 50 years of programmes from 1966 and then stopped - don’t really know what to do with them now though- but as a kid they were my most prized possession- the old chequer board front ones from the 70’s are still the best

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
          Completely agree - I complete 50 years of programmes from 1966 and then stopped - don’t really know what to do with them now though- but as a kid they were my most prized possession- the old chequer board front ones from the 70’s are still the best
          I had mine from that 75/76 season including that great one with the flags on done on the last game against Leeds.
          I inexplicably got rid of them.

Comment

Those chequered covers still send a tingle down my spine as OP said it was all part of the day, getting the programme. I still do get one as fortunately we are still one of the best going. Last years idea to have a home team legend and an away team legend was a fantastic idea. Still love seeing retro pics in them.

Comment

I had loads from about 61 & it just got too much so I dumped them, but kept a dozen or so memorable ones, I don’t buy them now

Comment

its the times,world will soon be paperless and cashless, a lot of people now days cant remember pre mobiles and internet times.
                Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by loftbalcony View Post

Gotta agree as a kid it was special & yes the smell!! Same as when I used to open a pack of Panini football stickers. Nice memories.

Real shame to see it on the way out but slightly hypocritically I only buy about 4-5 a season if that. Even stopped buying AKUTRS a while back as I just don't bother reading them.

Comment

I feel I might start buying AKUTRs again this season. I re-read the Stan special one last week and it made me think I should support it. I believe it is one of the longest running fanzines left.

Comment

Shame but to be honest I stopped buying programmes years ago because they just sit around gathering dust

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                        Shame but to be honest I stopped buying programmes years ago because they just sit around gathering dust
                        Digital version fine for you then

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                          thats what house work is for ,to stop dust
                          Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

They are utterly superfluous and redundant in the internet age. I think last one I bought was 1982 Cup Final.... Gawd knows where it went - I suspect I lost it doing a flit in a hurry in 1989.

Comment

Working...
                            X