Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les

Just read the comments by les,
    sounds like we are going to be a selling club.
    What about keeping the better players and trying to actually win something

Can’t afford to

Comment

We have always been a selling club just in the last few years we have had nothing to much sell!

Comment

Originally posted by eam1882 View Post
        Just read the comments by les,
        sounds like we are going to be a selling club.
        What about keeping the better players and trying to actually win something
        Works for me if you're happy to donate £30m to the club every season to bank role it.

Comment

If someone goes for £10m and we get 2 or 3 decent players in then there is no reason why we couldn't win something....eventually.

Norwich are a prime example of how it can work selling your "best" players in order to build a proper team that can give it a go in this division.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
            If someone goes for £10m and we get 2 or 3 decent players in then there is no reason why we couldn't win something....eventually.

Norwich are a prime example of how it can work selling your "best" players in order to build a proper team that can give it a go in this division.
            there one big flaw in that plan - we do not have any £5 million players let alone £10mill....Norwich had at least 3 and got lucky with Huddersfield , Newcastle, and Cardiff paying way over the odds. Only Maddison of the 4 big sales they made was worth what the club paid for them,

Comment

Lets hope the so called DOF isn't doing the selling, if he's responsible for the poor fees we got for Austin & Smithies

Comment

I know Les is only trying to manage expectations but he does depress me with the same message with little/no ambition

We mustn’t forget also how awful we were at the star of last season before Cameron, Wells, Rangel and Hemed joined. 3 of those have left and with Bidwell, Lynch and Pav gone we are desperately lacking experience which we need to even compete in the championship

I hope we have a few things up our sleeve!

Comment

Originally posted by Mem View Post
                  I know Les is only trying to manage expectations but he does depress me with the same message with little/no ambition

We mustn’t forget also how awful we were at the star of last season before Cameron, Wells, Rangel and Hemed joined. 3 of those have left and with Bidwell, Lynch and Pav gone we are desperately lacking experience which we need to even compete in the championship

I hope we have a few things up our sleeve!
                  the start to last season is the worry for me.... we clearly had no leaders and not enough experience to know-how to turn things around - things were in freefall (although, it's easy enough to argue the same happened for the last 4 months of the season, when we did have experience and know-how).

we need to find some hidden gems coming towards the end of their careers that have been cast-off by other clubs and are happy to be playing for not much in the way of wages... that's going to be hard.

Comment

We did well to stay in division this year given our comparative lack of incoming transfer activity, need to do same again again in forthcoming season. Big learning point should be NOT to get older players in on loan....... they spend too much time in the treatment room.

Comment

i think we should dig a well on the pitch and pray for oil
                      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

It is a strange sensation to find our club becoming a model for others to follow, given that we used to be trying to ape the Charlton Model. Then Curbishley left and it turned out it had all relied on one good manager.

As to our model, and any relevance to QPR, having been able to sell players (Maddison, Pritchard and the Murphys) has not been so significant as it might appear. That was mainly necessary because we were coming to the end of our parachute payments and needed to fill a large hole in the accounts.

Roughly speaking, we probably could anyway have afforded the players we brought in, such as Buendia (from a Leeds United feeder club…), who cost 1.5m, or Vrancic, at less than half that, and the Germans from the lower leagues. The trick is not so much having the money as having the scouting network.

Much has been made of our young players, but of the four who have made their mark this season only Cantwell is a genuine Norwich City youth product. Godfrey was bought from York City when he was 18 and Aarons and Lewis were snaffled up at an even younger age from Luton Town. Again, it is scouting, and a long-term plan. I don't know how good your scouting network is, and whether it covers abroad, but that might be an aspect to be worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
                          Lets hope the so called DOF isn't doing the selling, if he's responsible for the poor fees we got for Austin & Smithies
                          and spending £3m on Washington.

Comment

Working...
                          X