"It's the system, stupid"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "It's the system, stupid"

Most think we have tried and failed with every normal approach to building a consistent and winning club. Big dollar players. Small dollar players. Big name coaches. No name coaches. Loading up with loans. Bailing out on loans. Yet there IS one thing we (and so many other clubs frankly) seem to avoid at all costs: innovation.

In American baseball, the small dollar clubs (Tampa Bay, Oakland, others) have started consistently winning with budgets the big teams beat 4-1. Why? They have created a NEW SYSTEM based on metrics. Don't go for the big dollar name on the decline; find the versatile player few know that dollar for dollar out-delivers almost everyone else. Invest in youth with everything you've got. And innovate on the field, where you do things others won't.

In QPR's case, here's an example of such an idea. Over the next year, get rid of all the big dollar players past their prime, and look for young talent that have one distinguishing feature: speed. Let's become the fastest team in the Championship. Look at what BOS does nearly every game; he blows past defenders. Now imagine a whole team of BOS-like speed? And even slower players like Toni or Luongo or Smith will be told they only play if they move the ball fast.

Given the mediocrity of this team for the past too many seasons, what do we have to lose...but continuing to lose? In short, don't do what everyone else is doing. That's a prescription for maddening mediocrity. Do it unlike anyone else. And if Les and the football staff are not built that way, with no malice intended, we need to ask them to go.

Well said tanpa.
    The 'Moneyball' approach does have its merits.
    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
    Work Best When Open...
    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

So does the blindfold and pin one
      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

One of the big deficiencies in our game is lack of speed, even when BOS makes a run past defenders there are usually no passing options for him because we are so slow overall as a team, not every player has to be fast but we sure could use more pace in the lineup! Scouting and recruitment are going to be huge moving forward given our budget restraints, it would be very helpful if we could come up with a footballing philosophy to take as forward as we have sadly lacked one, this makes getting the right manager in place all that more important!
        @gatorTFC

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post
          One of the big deficiencies in our game is lack of speed, even when BOS makes a run past defenders there are usually no passing options for him because we are so slow overall as a team, not every player has to be fast but we sure could use more pace in the lineup! Scouting and recruitment are going to be huge moving forward given our budget restraints, it would be very helpful if we could come up with a footballing philosophy to take as forward as we have sadly lacked one, this makes getting the right manager in place all that more important!
          The manager we bring in should be an innovator, not a plodder, if we hope to break out of this cycle of mediocrity. SMC, Redknapp and others were old style traditionalists; Holloway was entertaining but kinda nuts re formations and style of play. Know this sounds a bit odd, but would prefer a manager who is brilliant with less footballing managerial record than one who's in with the good 'ol boy network who has a long resume but shown no particular ingenuity.

Comment

Originally posted by gator View Post

I sometimes wish the Board would read the message boards..

QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post

I sometimes wish the Board would read the message boards..[/B][/I]
              The sad thing is, they do
              Minds Are Like Parachutes.
              Work Best When Open...
              @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post

The sad thing is, they do
                Have to confess, I sort of knew...
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

Tanpa I've said for ages that we don't move the ball fast enough I don't mean one player running at lightening speed i mean passing as a whole is so slow. I've lost count of how many times Freeman runs with the ball, looks up, ignores the pass thats clearly on and either keeps running or stops and turns back and the move and space is over and gone. Luongo runs with the ball 30 yds towards a player and passes it to him when he's 5 yds away. This constantly happens. Eze drifts so far back he may as well be a centre back and when play is going on around him he stays still. There is no movement from him. We hardly ever have anyone either playing through balls or making runsnto receive a through ball. There seems to be no plan to our play apart from kick it up field and hope for the best. The best teams/clubs buy players to their style of play that fit into everything they try and do on the field and off it. We seem to buy players just because they're available and will come to us. Everybody at Man city is bought being comfortable on the ball that don't get flustered easily, can keep the ball, pass it and move. There are plenty of players that can do that in the lower leagues and we should be exploiting it but seems the recruitment isn't up to scratch

Comment

Originally posted by qprjeff1882 View Post
                    Tanpa I've said for ages that we don't move the ball fast enough I don't mean one player running at lightening speed i mean passing as a whole is so slow. I've lost count of how many times Freeman runs with the ball, looks up, ignores the pass thats clearly on and either keeps running or stops and turns back and the move and space is over and gone. Luongo runs with the ball 30 yds towards a player and passes it to him when he's 5 yds away. This constantly happens. Eze drifts so far back he may as well be a centre back and when play is going on around him he stays still. There is no movement from him. We hardly ever have anyone either playing through balls or making runsnto receive a through ball. There seems to be no plan to our play apart from kick it up field and hope for the best. The best teams/clubs buy players to their style of play that fit into everything they try and do on the field and off it. We seem to buy players just because they're available and will come to us. Everybody at Man city is bought being comfortable on the ball that don't get flustered easily, can keep the ball, pass it and move. There are plenty of players that can do that in the lower leagues and we should be exploiting it but seems the recruitment isn't up to scratch
                    This is is very thoughtful riff. The key here is the system. Make it strong, make it consistent, and make it different than what most every other club is doing. THEN...recruit players who fit that system. How many times do we need to debate whether Smith is fast enough, Freeman is unselfishness enough, or that Eze cares enough to play. Look for recruits who are unafraid to run fast, pass fast, decide fast and finish fast. Make that your signature trademark. That will do more to help us recruit better players than all of the agents screaming to look at one of theirs, or all of the commentators bemoaning missed loans or signings. Of course, we need both a coach and DOF who believe in the same. To date, Les has shown he’s not an innovator, and none of our managers have yet shown they are either. Amit and Tony have tried just about everything else; how bout changing this up?

Comment

Can't have a decent working system without decent coaches to explain it.

Backroom staff needs an overhaul IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                        Can't have a decent working system without decent coaches to explain it.

Backroom staff needs an overhaul IMO
                        You are on target, here.

I don't believe we have any fresh ideas about how to move forward differently. After many seasons of doing everything else everyone else does, and with the new pressures of FFP bearing down on every Championship Club, this is EXACTLY the right time to bring an an outside-the-lines team willing to break the mold of mediocrity in which we are mired.

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post

You are on target, here.

I don't believe we have any fresh ideas about how to move forward differently. After many seasons of doing everything else everyone else does, and with the new pressures of FFP bearing down on every Championship Club, this is EXACTLY the right time to bring an an outside-the-lines team willing to break the mold of mediocrity in which we are mired.
                          I think McClaren was on the right lines bringing in an assistant coach and a goalkeeping coach but probably needed a fitness coach as well. Certainly could do with a proper defensive coach (IMO).

Comment

I kept telling the fan sitting next to me each game I saw that QPR move the ball around far to slowly to build an effective attack.

QPR need the likes of BOS, Smyth Shodipo and Chair in the line up next season along with some full backs with pace, ability to cross the ball as well as defend.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
                              QPR need the likes of BOS, Smyth Shodipo and Chair in the line up next season along with some full backs with pace, ability to cross the ball as well as defend.
                              I'd just be happy if the full backs could defend and the wingers could attack. Far too often at this level there are too many things asked of players who don't have the ability to do more than one thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X