The Evidence is in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Evidence is in...

We've learned a lot this season, about this Club, management, managing, and the players. On the latter front, my take: (1) Furlong emerging as the crucial cog on our defense, and Manning may have finally found his best position at this level of football at LB -- Leistner the best of the rest (Bidwell, Hall, et alia); (2) Desperately need the right coach -- not necessarily the right manager -- to re-instill the shot confidence of Lumley and Eze; the former looks dazed, the latter lackadaisical; would trade in every assistant coach on the squad (we have an embarrassing number of them) for one who can get the young players where they need to be; (3) Our midfield is too often overrun by the opponents'; okay to lose Freeman for money, and Luongo for just about anything; (4) The two vets to bring back if the wages are right: Rangel and Cameron. If only one, would choose Rangel.

Furlong is no where near good enough for the Championship. Manning has shown in the last few games that Bidwell is a very poor player.
    What we need is some decent players at every position. Whoever the Manager/Coach is without decent players we will be relegated.

Comment

Originally posted by spogs View Post
      Furlong is no where near good enough for the Championship. Manning has shown in the last few games that Bidwell is a very poor player.
      What we need is some decent players at every position. Whoever the Manager/Coach is without decent players we will be relegated.
      If Furs had a decent experience CB alongside him talking him through the game he would be more than decent at this level. His heading and pace is a big asset.

Comment

Seriously? Furlong not good enough to play in the Championship? I agree he's been totally up and down as a RB, but he looks squared away as a CB. Given all the needs to come with this team in the off season, I rate Furlong, Manning, Bos, Chair, Oteh, and Smyth as a good start to what was promised us from the start of THIS season: a Club rebuilding around youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Qprtanpa1 View Post
          Seriously? Furlong not good enough to play in the Championship? I agree he's been totally up and down as a RB, but he looks squared away as a CB. Given all the needs to come with this team in the off season, I rate Furlong, Manning, Bos, Chair, Oteh, and Smyth as a good start to what was promised us from the start of THIS season: a Club rebuilding around youth.

Quite like Furlong although up and down this season. Eze good but has struggled second half of season. Lumley the same. Chair until this season only a handful of games so in my view right to send him out on loan to get some more game time. Am hoping he will kick on with us next season. Smyth same really although had more game time last season than Chair. Oteh npt done much at Walsall. Manning cannot seem to show consistency for us or Rotherham. BOS sometimes looks good, sometimes not. Overall there is some promise in our youngsters but do fear a lot of supporters expecting way too much from them. Love to be proved wrong.

Comment

"Won't win anything with kids"

Comment

Not sure on Furlong, haven’t seen enough at CB but what I've seen of him at RB he is pretty shocking. If we are putting our hopes in this potential “cog” then I think we are in a bit of bother.

C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

Manning had an absolute shocker against Blackburn. Gave Armstrong so much space and got continually beaten. Agree that Bidwell is average but he would have dealt with Armstrong much better than Manning.

Comment

We will have a mid table defence and midfield next season. The problem will be scoring goals, we'll be limited up front. With strikers costing money and not much coming through the ranks it will be that area that will cause it to be in the bottom six all season.

Comment

Originally posted by spogs View Post
                    Ridiculous statement.

Comment

I really don't know anymore. So much speculation, one thing is for sure this season has been a massive waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post

Quite like Furlong although up and down this season. Eze good but has struggled second half of season. Lumley the same. Chair until this season only a handful of games so in my view right to send him out on loan to get some more game time. Am hoping he will kick on with us next season. Smyth same really although had more game time last season than Chair. Oteh npt done much at Walsall. Manning cannot seem to show consistency for us or Rotherham. BOS sometimes looks good, sometimes not. Overall there is some promise in our youngsters but do fear a lot of supporters expecting way too much from them. Love to be proved wrong.
                        Totally agree. The only one I have hope for is Chair but worry for him as he is only 5'2''. BOS at the moment is an athlete with boots on. Give them 4 games next season and we will be back in the loan market.

Comment

Bidwell at LB with Manning at LM would sort out Bidwell having no cover all game and Manning playing out of position.

Furlong needs to go back to RB and we need a proper CB pairing that does not include Lynch.

Comment

Originally posted by croxleyhoops View Post
                            Manning had an absolute shocker against Blackburn. Gave Armstrong so much space and got continually beaten. Agree that Bidwell is average but he would have dealt with Armstrong much better than Manning.
                            completely agree - if we are pinning our hopes on Manning replacing Bidwell then we are in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
                              Bidwell at LB with Manning at LM would sort out Bidwell having no cover all game and Manning playing out of position.

Furlong needs to go back to RB and we need a proper CB pairing that does not include Lynch.
                              Sorry mate but the only bit I agree with there is the don't include Lynch part! I think Furlong struggles at RB and he seems to be more comfortable at CH. He is good in the air, quick on the ground, ok his distribution isn't the best but with an experienced CH alongside him next season (like the BFG...NOT Lynch) he could make the position his own. He's still very young and will learn with time, so give the lad a chance. After all we have to bear in mind there is no money in the pot to go out and splash any money on new signings, so we will have to make do with frees, out of contracts, perhaps the odd Prem loan and maybe the odd fee or swapping with otherr players? I've no idea how the transfer strategy is going to work next season, but it is going to be even more of a struggle than this season I hate to say.

As for Bidwell...the kindest thing to do would be to put him down or better still give him away to one of our relegation rivals for next season! I just don't rate him. He is slow, always seems to stand off instead of getting close to the opposing attacker (probably due to him being sh!t scared of being done due to his lack of pace), doesn't get forward enough, can't cross the ball etc. He is out of contract at the end of the season, and I'm assuming is on fairly good money (for us), so again with us having to slash the wage budget, I can only see him shown the door tbh.

Manning looks a different player in the LB role. I think he looks suited to that position and offers far more than Bidwell and in my opinion is definitely a better option than to play there in the long term. We actually look far more secure and less seceptible to conceding. It's probably down to the fact that both Bidwell and Lynch are not in the side if I'm honest!

Anyway, just my opinion, we are all entitled to them. But at the end of the day, they are 2 young lads who are there for the future so I say we should be backing them.

Comment

Working...
                              X