No announcement yet.

Who would you appoint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Sam anyone ?? Clint Hill ? , think they have to give Mac the summer window to maybe try and put his stamp on the team, at the start of the season

Comment

IF we had to then it has to be David Wagner without a shadow of a doubt.

Anyone that could save Huddersfield from relegation, then get them promoted and then finish 16th in the PL has to be worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
        Big Sam anyone ?? Clint Hill ? , think they have to give Mac the summer window to maybe try and put his stamp on the team, at the start of the season
        Clint and Derry

Comment

What is the obsession with ex players who haven't proved anything?

Ainsworth comes in for stick for his playing style btw, very route one. Which is what people have been complaining about yet want him just because he is a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
            IF we had to then it has to be David Wagner without a shadow of a doubt.

Anyone that could save Huddersfield from relegation, then get them promoted and then finish 16th in the PL has to be worth a shot.
            Shepherds Mush that is bang on I think you've hit the nail on ze head there.. Wagner would do a great job!

Comment

Originally posted by YoungR1 View Post

Shepherds Mush that is bang on I think you've hit the nail on ze head there.. Wagner would do a great job!
              so would pep . infect, we are probably as likely to get pep as we are wagner . JN

Comment

I can't believe McLaren has bizarrely gone under the radar. The stick that Holloway took. In our current situation with zero money I would be begging for Holloway to come back. Steve is a brilliant coach but has never been a manager throughout his career. England he was a disaster and when things are going against him the man seems lost. Just can't believe how little flack he's had because he is proven to be up there with jfh. Looks like we might just survive but by the skin of our teeth. Must go and shouldn't even be a debate
                I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

If you feel SM is not up to it, why is Holloway the solution?
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                    If you feel SM is not up to it, why is Holloway the solution?
                    Coz he looks cool and dapper in many different hats.

He speaks untold volumes of clear, concise footballing know how and genius tactical awareness.

He simply loves the fans and treats them with the utmost respect. Never daring to bad mouth them in any way, shape or form.

And finally his ability to create team spirit and the desire to run up hills whilst kissing the badge is second to none.

Which is why we could never get him back at this club as for all the reasons above there is a very long list of clubs queuing for his services.

Comment

Originally posted by rodman View Post

He speaks untold volumes of clear, concise footballing know how and genius tactical awareness.

He simply loves the fans and treats them with the utmost respect. Never daring to bad mouth them in any way, shape or form.

And finally his ability to create team spirit and the desire to run up hills whilst kissing the badge is second to none.

Which is why we could never get him back at this club as for all the reasons above there is a very long list of clubs queuing for his services.
                      Can't argue with of that. So underrated. Not to mention nobody understands wing backs the way he does. And very few managers in the modern game can maintain losing runs to his level. Can hardly believe we let him slip through our fingers.

Comment

Excatly!!
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

I nearly bit ! Then it all suddenly made sense with the queue of clubs wanting him for his services ‍♂️

Comment

A very good piece our gaffer did with Premier League World...lucky to have him

Steve McClaren insists he does not regret accepting the Newcastle United job - and believes the Magpies' relegation was down to a collective failure of everyone at the club, rather than merely his own management.

The former England manager was appointed as United 'head coach' during the summer of 2015 and, with Newcastle also formulating a so-called 'Football Board', he was also named as one of four directors.

Owner Mike Ashley sanctioned a significant summer spend on the likes of Georginio Wijnaldum (£14.5million), Aleksandar Mitrovic (£13m) and Chancel Mbemba (£8m), but United's 2015/16 season started with an eight-game winless run - and it never really recovered.

McClaren won just seven of his 31 games in charge before he was dismissed in March 2016, with the Magpies languishing in the bottom three following a humiliating 3-1 defeat at home to AFC Bournemouth.

Rafa Benitez assumed the reins from McClaren but, with just 10 games of the season remaining, the former Liverpool and Real Madrid manager was unable to save United from the drop.

Speaking during an interview with Premier League World about his short stint on Tyneside, McClaren - who admits he still gets "sleepless nights" recalling his previous failures as a coach - accepts he was partly responsible for United's relegation, but implies both the players and the hierarchy at Newcastle were also culpable in Newcastle's demise

"It wasn't a failure because of any one person, it was a combination of which I was also a part of," McClaren - who is now in charge of Championship outfit Queens Park Rangers - explained.

"Someone said to me nostalgia gets in the way of the future, and I'm still thinking about that. I don't look back too often, but ingrained in the back of my head are all of those experiences which, when I need them, suddenly they come to the forefront, and I remember.

"That leads to sleepless nights, but that's part and parcel of the job. I just want to make players better, make coaches better, and help QPR to achieve what they want to achieve, for as long as we can.

"That didn't look very long two or three months ago [when QPR were struggling], and still we need to keep our feet on the ground because I know better than most that, in football, things change very, very quickly."

Interestingly, in hindsight, McClaren suggests that, in the back of his mind, he always knew from the very start that he was destined to fail at Newcastle due to the manner of his initial exit from Derby County.

Once Alan Pardew left Newcastle for Crystal Palace at the start of 2015, the Magpies courted McClaren, whose Derby side looked on course for promotion.

However, McClaren's flirtation with United coincided with a drastic dip in form for the Rams, and the ex-England manager was sacked by Derby.

And, while that cleared the way for Newcastle to appoint McClaren without having to pay compensation to secure his services, he accepts it put him in a position where he had to get off to a positive start on the field at St James' Park if he was going to enjoy a long-term spell on Tyneside.

Asked about his acrimonious initial exit from Derby, McClaren replied: "Yeah, I don't think that was handled very well in between Derby and Newcastle. I, myself, was also at fault for that. It wasn't handled well; it wasn't done in what I would call a 'class way'.

"I've always tried to do that, whether I've been sacked or whatever, I like to do it with 'class'. But that didn't feel right - and so it proved and, if it doesn't feel right, then it's not going to work out."

Although McClaren had been tempted by Newcastle's initial approach in January 2015, he was reluctant to leave Derby come the end of that season - though the job offer from United helped temper his disappointment.

St James' Park is a ground that McClaren had always hoped to work at; and that was partly because he had seen first hand the passion for football in the area while working at Middlesbrough.

Yet McClaren has revealed that ex-Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson also told him that any coach who got things "right" on Tyneside would be regarded as a "king", and that is something which appealed to him - even if he recognised that taking the job was a major gamble.

"In the end, leaving Derby was not by my own accord. I didn't really, in the end, want do that," the 57-year-old added.

"But I did - and I always wanted to manage in the Premier League, and I always want to manage Newcastle United football club because I've been in that area, and I knew how big it was.

"I knew if anyone got it right, as Sir Bobby always told me, you'll be the king. That's what I wanted.

"It was a gamble, it was a big risk - but high risk, high reward. I suppose that's been me [throughout] my career; but not just high risk, high reward, also hard fought. And that's what happened.

"I thought it was a great experience. What a club. We had some great days, and some bad ones, but we had some great days, and I got a taste of what it was like to manage Newcastle United Football Club."

McClaren's unhappy tenure on Tyneside followed a turbulent decade-long spell in his career, during which time he had managed four clubs in three separate countries which came on the back of his dismissal as England manager.

The Three Lions experience proved a difficult one for McClaren to take - and, following a 10-year period in which his managerial stock has fallen, the former Hull City midfielder is now keen to impart his knowledge to youngsters through coaching at QPR.

"I suppose when you're young, you fight the world, you think you can fight everything, and you want to win; it's all about winning, it's all about discarding people, and getting in people who can do the job," he added.

"You're quite ruthless at that stage - but then I had to start [my coaching career] all over again.

"Your career is peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs. So now I want to work. I've tried to get away, but it keeps coming back to coaching. Over the past 10 years, it's been a rollercoaster.

"Do I regret taking any of them [the jobs]? Never, because it's an experience, and you always think that you can turn it around; that you can do this, and do that; you always think you need time and patience, which you do. That's just modern-day football I'm afraid though. That's the reality.

"Football has been my life, and this is all I know. I've experienced a lot, I think I know a lot, I think I know how to succeed, and I know how to fail. I want to use that experience to help other people now, I suppose.

"I still want to win - oh God I want to win, because that then keeps me in the environment, and this is a wonderful club [at QPR], and I'm working for good people.

"That's all I want to do now. I knew the owner, and that was an important factor in coming here to [Loftus Road].

"We're going to have ups and downs, which we've had already, but I just like working in football. It gives me a purpose, it gives me a reason to get up in the morning and, relatively, enjoy life."

Comment

That's a pretty good read, thanks for posting it.
                              Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                              Work Best When Open...
                              @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Still will finish on more points with minus the premier league quality of the 2 strikers he could bring in. But there just facts and yep Steve talks in a calm civilised manor so let's keep him then and go backwards
                                I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Working...
                                X