Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protests - The Thompson Family..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Protests - The Thompson Family..

    For those older enough to remember this can anybody on here remind me of why we were protesting against them and our Chairman at the time - Richard Thompson.

    There is a reason I ask this question but I would like to hear your thoughts on the above first.

    Thanks in advanced.

  • #2
    He was asset stripping the club and not investing in the side. Let GERRY go too !

    Comment


    • #3
      It was perceived that he was an asset stripper but there was no evidence, just an inkling which was never acknowledged to be wrong.

      Every big selling we made went towards new signings, ground improvements or balancing the books. In the case of Les Ferdinand every penny was given to Ray Wilkins to spend on new recruits: all 5.4m after Hayes had taken their cut.

      In insight it was great business sense driven by Richard Thompson which kept us debt free and top flight for many years until Wilkins' disastrous reign as manager. People just struggle with the idea that we're a small selling club who punched above our weight for the duration of Thompson's reign.

      He should, however, never let Gerry speak to Wolves as it was a sign of a lack of ambition.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kit View Post
        He was asset stripping the club and not investing in the side. Let GERRY go too !
        Which manager during the Thompson era was not given money to spend?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Clapton is God View Post

          Which manager during the Thompson era was not given money to spend?
          Clapton, i was answering JJB's question not that i thought he was myself. My only gripe with RT was Gerry Francis and the RodneyGate incident, that pushed Gerry out the door.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kit View Post

            Clapton, i was answering JJB's question not that i thought he was myself. My only gripe with RT was Gerry Francis and the RodneyGate incident, that pushed Gerry out the door.
            My apologies.

            Yep, the Rodney incident was bizarre and I'm not sure what happened or why.

            As for Thompson's spending, I think some people forget that we were the 3rd London side after Spurs and Arsenal to spend a 1m on a player (for those a bit too young to remember, trust me, that was a phenomenal amount for us) under him, each time we sold a player for big money we always brought in 3-4 new ones and most of these were considered the best outside the top division or clearly 'one to watch' and, as I said above, Wilkins was given 5.4m to spend in 1995.

            Looking back we were wrong to protest against him.

            Comment


            • #7
              Couldn't understand it at the time. Perception as others have said is lack of investment, only interested in money. However even at the time I thought they were doing a good job. We were a sensible well run club. Pretty much like now ...

              Comment


              • #8
                Sounds like we were more like Brentford are now. Buy cheap, sell on and playing decent football.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                  Couldn't understand it at the time. Perception as others have said is lack of investment, only interested in money. However even at the time I thought they were doing a good job. We were a sensible well run club. Pretty much like now ...
                  Football fans are a strange bunch ...

                  A chairman who ran a tight ship and kept the club in a great financial position is hated whilst chairmen who are financially reckless are applauded despite nearly killing the club and manage to persuade thousands that they're victims when brought into line...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SpongeParr View Post
                    Sounds like we were more like Brentford are now. Buy cheap, sell on and playing decent football.
                    It was the QPR way and hopefully it will be the future too.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I remember the big protest when we played Leeds. Fans protesting on the pitch.Can't remember the year.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        He sold year on year Seaman Parker Peacock Sinton Ferdinand ....selling finally caught up with us and it was
                        always going to.....Les likes this model, and we will go the same way

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TBLOCKRANGER View Post
                          I remember the big protest when we played Leeds. Fans protesting on the pitch.Can't remember the year.
                          think that was the merger protest and it was man city
                          Chelmsford City the home of Radio

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            No defo Leeds and involving Thompson early 90s. Sure police horses on the pitch.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              never did them pitch protests,plod loved them,knew who you were after.
                              Chelmsford City the home of Radio

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X