No announcement yet.

Sack him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he goes, Darren Moore nailed on. Would fit in with Les's plan.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
      I feel so bad.
      I was very frustrated when we signed Steve - failure was written all over this signing. Good manager in the 90s, but failed over and over again last ten years and definitely yesterdays man. Maybe still a decent coach, but no manager. It was insane that we replaced Holloway with McClaren after Holloway brought us 56 points last season and did very well with a young side.

I was very skeptical when we changed our recruitment policy, relying almost exclusively on experienced loans and veteran signings. It can work short time, but with FFP defining our recruitment policy we should look for players with sell on value. It is the only way we can work ourselves out of the mess we are in. McClaren's job should be to sign and develop players like Freeman, BOS etc. One or two experienced players to replace Mackie and Onuoha would be understandable, but not spending the entire August budget on loans and last payday type players, even if they are very decent and better than we had.

However, he and the team did very well between September and December. He slowly won me over - he over-performed and I was starting to think I was wrong. After 6 losses in a row I called for everyone to be patient and back him even though we probably would loose to Middlesbrough and Leeds. I was rather focusing on very winnable matches like Stoke and Rotherham at home, I though we would get the necessary points on board to be safe, and show that some of the poor results in January/February was partly down to bad luck.

However, the last two matches demonstrate that the downward trend is continuing. We are worse than ever. It is the McClaren we should have expected, based on recent track record. We might miss two or three players, but almost any team miss a few regular players. It is not an excuse against teams such as Rotherham.

What makes me so sad is that despite the fact I can't see McClaren being the solution any longer I hate the idea of keep firing managers all the time. It was stupidity to fire Holloway only to replace him with a much weaker candidate. However, I desperately want to avoid firing the next manager after less than a year. We are crying out for stability on the manager/coaching side of things. A new change is the last thing we need..

On the other hand, sticking with McClaren leads us to League 1, either this season or next, and I feel super-frustrated. It is damn if you do, damn if you don't.

I hate to say it, but I would actually accept a sacking. I cannot believe I say this, but I think it is a sign of how desperate I feel.

Top post and I'm feeling exactly the same. Thing is if there IS to be a change now i don't trust the board to make a good change. There's plenty of good managers and backroom staff out there but we constantly keep overlooking them. This for me is proving that the board have no football knowledge whatsoever. How can a club keep getting everything wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnutt View Post
        Hang him . JN
        A tad harsh don't you think JN?
        @gatorTFC

Comment

Why is everyone always calling for the manager’s head? Our players are a bunsh of #### wanna be pro-players. Any manager would struggle with this kind of a squad - you can't polish a turd! so rather than going for the manager how about starting to call for the responsibility of the players??

Comment

Like many of you I had a difficult night’s sleep after watching Rotherham, a nearly totally nothing team, have the upper hand over us at home most of the night. The picture of SM sitting on the bench with his head down kinda said it all. No answers. What I can’t fathom is why the team suddenly looks clueless out there. No solid system of play. No offensive scheme. Just kick it upfield and hope for the best. And the UTTER lack of urgency shows the players are slow walking it now. Bench Hemed; he’s already moved on. Bench Lynch; deservedly he’s heading out. Move Furlong off RB; beyond throws he’s useless there; play with Hall Leistemer and Bidwdll only. Need Cameron ASAP; must start at Hull. Bench Eze; has a real future but he’s totally lacking any confidence now and needs to push the reset button over the summer. And as for the coaching, like many of you who’ve held out hope SMC was a stabilizing anchor he now just looks old in a game that’s possibly passing him by. Would like nothing better than keeping him/his staff for many seasons, but now it’s clear we are not only the victims of bad luck but tepid coaching.

Comment

As my son said
              Rotherham are qpr without Freeman

Comment

Originally posted by luca View Post
                Why is everyone always calling for the manager’s head? Our players are a bunsh of #### wanna be pro-players. Any manager would struggle with this kind of a squad - you can't polish a turd! so rather than going for the manager how about starting to call for the responsibility of the players??
                because we've lost 9 of our last 12 and have looked shocking. thats down to the manager.

Comment

Originally posted by luca View Post
                  That's exactly what this '"coach'' was brought into do - polish a turd. He his an expert coach and apparently superior to the last manager who relied purely on team spirit.

Comment

I would keep him until the end of the season. I was always a bit frustrated with the sacking of IH as he seemed to be doing ok (not great, but ok) and blooding a number of youngsters, When SM was announced we were told he would work with the kids and be a better coach, but he seems to loan them all out (bar Eze) and bring in experienced pros, which is disappointing. However on Boxing day he was doing great, I don't think we will go down, so think we should wait and see how we finish the season. Hopefully his contract has an early termination clause if certain conditions aren't met (i.e. less points than last season?) which would at least save money if we chose to go down this route. I just feel that if Oteh, Smyth, Hamalainen et al were playing I would be more forgiving of this season, because I would hope that with the experience they would be improving and so next year would be better. But none of the youngsters (Furlong is no longer a youngster in my mind) are getting this experience, so I'm not sure how next year will be any better

Comment

I agree we should keep SMC til season’s end. Then we need a better answer to our future than “we are close”, ‘it’s building character”, “just a few bad breaks” as the manager’s standard riff.

To avoid relegation, bench Hemed, Lynch for the rest of the season. Move Pavel or Cousins to RB until Rangel is fit. Start Bos, Cameron, Freeman, Wells, Bidwell the rest of the way. Anchor the defense with Toni and Grant. Platoon Manning and Mass.

And for bloody sake, ALWAYS play on the front foot, pressing and with pace. We are at our best when we do that. When we do not we look like relegation fodder.

Comment

Just a point , we were time wasting after 2 minutes yesterday . AT HOME TO ROTHERHAM. No disrespect to Rotherham, but that is unacceptable and the mark of a cowardly manager , and team. They ALL need a long look at themselves. JN

Comment

Are we any better than we were each of the last three years ?? Under the three previouse managers we weren't good enough to play a full season , the people in control arnt good enough the players haven't been good enough for years , so yeah sack the manager will posters still think that way after time to deal with the disappointment of another dross fest ? that's why I never posted after Saturdays debacle ,
                          we can limp over the line this season no certainty , but get used it for next season's doesn't look too clever with this mob we've got upstairs and Freeman gone does it
                          i could see him him walking away from this in June now that he knows what he's let himself into though then who would the the Dof appoint ??
                          Last edited by dogsrrs; 14-03-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
                            I feel so bad.
                            I was very frustrated when we signed Steve - failure was written all over this signing. Good manager in the 90s, but failed over and over again last ten years and definitely yesterdays man. Maybe still a decent coach, but no manager. It was insane that we replaced Holloway with McClaren after Holloway brought us 56 points last season and did very well with a young side.

I was very skeptical when we changed our recruitment policy, relying almost exclusively on experienced loans and veteran signings. It can work short time, but with FFP defining our recruitment policy we should look for players with sell on value. It is the only way we can work ourselves out of the mess we are in. McClaren's job should be to sign and develop players like Freeman, BOS etc. One or two experienced players to replace Mackie and Onuoha would be understandable, but not spending the entire August budget on loans and players looking for their last pay check, even if they are very decent and better than we had. It looks as a poor mans copy of Hughes and Redknap. I cannot understand we went down this route again. The fact we threw out Holloway's balanced low budget recruitment policy overnight is simply shocking.

However, McClaren and the team did very well between September and December. He slowly won me over - he over-performed and I was starting to think I was wrong. After 6 losses in a row I called for everyone to be patient and back him even though we probably would loose to Middlesbrough and Leeds. I was rather focusing on very winnable matches like Stoke and Rotherham at home, I though we would get the necessary points on board to be safe, and show that some of the poor results in January/February was partly down to bad luck.

However, the last two matches demonstrates that the downward trend is continuing. We are worse than ever. The trend is now crystal clear - it goes backwards! It is the McClaren we should have expected, based on recent track record. We might miss two or three players, but almost any team miss a few regular players. It is not an excuse against teams such as Rotherham.

What makes me so sad is that despite the fact I can't see McClaren being the solution any longer I hate the idea of keep firing managers all the time. It was stupidity to fire Holloway only to replace him with a much weaker candidate. However, I desperately want to avoid firing the next manager after less than a year. We are crying out for stability on the manager/coaching side of things. A new change is the last thing we need..

On the other hand, sticking with McClaren leads us to League 1, either this season or next, and I feel super-frustrated. It is damn if you do, damn if you don't.

I hate to say it, but I would actually accept a sacking. I cannot believe I say this, but I think it is a sign of how desperate I feel.

I hate to pull you up on this again, and its not personal, but we did not have a great season with Holloway last year;

1) We went on 2 runs of 6 consecutive defeats

2) Our best run was 4 unbeaten matches and 2 of those were draws.

3) We won just 3 of our last 9 matches.

4) We stayed up only because of the decent - not great - start we got off to up to and including the Sheffield United match after which our form was relegation form for 6 months.

And, contrary to what you said in a previous post, that WAS with a much better permanent squad than this one.

The board - who had been playing the victim card so well some of our fans believed we wouldn't be punished for FFP - knew we were in the middle of negotiating a fine and knew with such form as they'd seen over the last 6 months, the requirement to reduce the squad and the embargo had a decision to make; Keep Holloway who is failing with a decent squad or sack him and bring in someone who might just keep a weakened side up. They made the right decision not to back a man who WOULD have taken us down for certain this year.

However, that's the justification for sacking Hollloway.

Is there any justification for keeping McClaren?

I still think people are being incredibly naive if they think this squad is capable of much more than this. It is a poor squad full of average players.

However, they are guaranteed to be relegated if the manager does not have their respect or the ability to install some passion and I think that is the problem here. McClaren seems incapable of getting players to play with pride or finding the right tactics to give us a fighting chance. He seems clueless , bizarrely for a man who has had success in tactically superior Holland.

I personally think the only justification of keeping him now is the financial cost but the club need to ask themselves if the cost of relegation will cost more than sacking him.

Comment

Originally posted by qprdel View Post
                              As my son said
                              Rotherham are qpr without Freeman
                              last night QPR were QPR without freeman. terrible game

Comment

There aren't many managers that can or should survive after a run like this, but the board have to take some blame as do the players
                                Lack of investment has caught up with us, simple as that. We will be lge 1 if not this year then by the end of next year, simple as that.
                                Yes ffp is apparently the cause, and i'm sure it is part of it but tell me what is the point of stadium plans for a lge 1 or 2 club?
                                Brentford for eg are doing ok, year on year, yet we stumble along annually fighting the drop.
                                We have players out on loan, some of whom can't get a starting place in lge 1.
                                We have to invest. We cannot just keep buying mediocre we must buy Freeman level quality, they must find a way.
                                OR beg Neil Warnock to leave Cardiff and promise not to dump him again if he were to, by some miracle able to get us up again.

Comment

Working...
                                X