McClaren: Stick or Twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
    This thread has predictably ended up with two questions. Firstly should we stick with SM? For me yes. Not happy with current run, is miserable. However my take on it is the squad has run out of legs and most of our youngsters are nowhere near as good as some think. We showed some good consistency earlier in the season and for a period overachieved. So not 100% convinced but would stick.

Second question is usual suspects saying we should have kept Ollie. Give it up guys. Surely fact he has been touting his availability and still hasn't got a job says it all about how he is viewed in football. His time has come and gone. Even the club admitted they had to tell him to change his silly formation and I suspect he was manager in name only for the only period we looked reasonably good under him. Great character but these days nowhere near good enough for this level.

Beyond that main issue is the squad is threadbare and youngsters not good enough in the main to play regularly. We send them out on loan and majority struggle for game time in lower divisions but according to some should be paying regularly in the Championship. We also lost all our defence barring Bidwell (Furlong missed half of season) and had no money to replace them which was always going to hurt us. Mainly just want to limp through rest of season avoiding trouble and see what happens in summer. With FFP was always likely to be a bruising season. We have had worse!
    Funny how some think that Ollie would have fared better this season. It's been said so many times that QPR only climbed clear of the drop zone last season after his 352 formation was dumped (I doubt that it was his decision).

Some seem to suggest that bringing in Wells Hemed Rangel and Cameron was wrong and we should have kep faith with the youth, just how good do fans think our youngsters are? Kakay was not good enough to play at RB, so Rangel was bought in. Cameron was excellent as a DM and far better than either Scowen or Cousins for the role.

Whilst Wells has lost form in 2019, he was doing quite well up until then. Hemed has been less successful, but was out injured for 10 games. However Smith would not have done well in McLaren's favoured 433 formation and Oteh is not good enough (he can't even get into Walsall's team), so yes, the two loanees were the better option.

I am disappointed that Smyth and Chair were sent out on loan as I think they could have contributed to the 1st team matchday squad during this lousy run of form.

Comment

Madness to change manager again , just like it was wrong to sack Ollie
      SMc has had a good 1st half to the season , Ollie had a good 2nd half of the season before , for that reason I make them level pegging ! this and last season was as good as it could get , we have 4 players that are good enough the rest of the 1st team squad are average at best , that bore fest on Saturday tells us that 'was the best team the manager had available and they weren't up to beating 10 men , after 4 years of parachute payment we still lack enough quality , sack S Mc nah not for me look elsewhere

Comment

At least we have enough decent League 1 players if we actually go down

Comment

Originally posted by dogsrrs View Post
          Madness to change manager again , just like it was wrong to sack Ollie
          SMc has had a good 1st half to the season , Ollie had a good 2nd half of the season before , for that reason I make them level pegging ! this and last season was as good as it could get , we have 4 players that are good enough the rest of the 1st team squad are average at best , that bore fest on Saturday tells us that 'was the best team the manager had available and they weren't up to beating 10 men , after 4 years of parachute payment we still lack enough quality , sack S Mc nah not for me look elsewhere
          as has been said things only looked better under Ollie after he was forced (as admitted by the club) into dropping his silly pet formation. Given how much more prominent Ramsey was on match days during latter part of season I suspect whilst Ollie was manager in name he was himself being managed as club didn't want to change managers mid-season again.

For me Ollie was a disastrous appointment we got away with. SM agree with you. After those first four games very good first half of season but has fallen away badly.

Comment

as has been said things only looked better under Ollie after he was forced (as admitted by the club) into dropping his silly pet formation. Given how much more prominent Ramsey was on match days during latter part of season I suspect whilst Ollie was manager in name he was himself being managed as club didn't want to change managers mid-season again.

For me Ollie was a disastrous appointment we got away with. SM agree with you. After those first four games very good first half of season but has fallen away badly.
            Have you said before furtive i hadnt noticed

Out of interest where has the club admitted that and that he was being told what to do?!
            http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

Have you said before furtive i hadnt noticed

Out of interest where has the club admitted that and that he was being told what to do?!
              Don't think I have mentioned that before. Always been very pro Ollie's appointment.

Uncle mentioned it after his sacking. Makes sense as well when you look at everything else.

Comment

Don't think I have mentioned that before. Always been very pro Ollie's appointment.

Uncle mentioned it after his sacking. Makes sense as well when you look at everything else.
                Obviously with that quite a statement asin undermining you will have a link to this?!

The only thing i can remember is tony i think mentioning 352 wasnt working, but cant recall him stating they told ollie what to do, also ironic we've just been playing that system again, so perhaps tony can tell mac and guide the team for the rest of the season too

Comment

Obviously with that quite a statement asin undermining you will have a link to this?!

The only thing i can remember is tony i think mentioning 352 wasnt working, but cant recall him stating they told ollie what to do, also ironic we've just been playing that system again, so perhaps tony can tell mac and guide the team for the rest of the season too
                  A link to a comment Uncle made midway through last year ...

So he changes formation, CR starts spending game in dugout, selections change and all of a sudden we are more consistent and formation/selections have an element of sanity previously missing for the past 18 months. Doesn't take much to join the dots.

Why do you think Ollie has not managed to get a managers job in the football league bearing in mind he has been vocal about his availability?

Comment

So he changes formation, CR starts spending game in dugout, selections change and all of a sudden we are more consistent and formation/selections have an element of sanity previously missing for the past 18 months. Doesn't take much to join the dots.

Why do you think Ollie has not managed to get a managers job in the football league bearing in mind he has been vocal about his availability?
                    You are pishing in the wind fox. He won’t have a word said against the man.
                    “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                    Will Danaher

Comment

Didnt think youve a link or quote tbh lol

Comment

Didnt think youve a link or quote tbh lol
                        I doubt I'm the only one who will recall it. Was surprised Uncle admitted it. Was clear to most people something dramatic had gone down after 18 months of insanity.

So why do you think Ollie has failed to secure another job in the football league?

Comment

I doubt I'm the only one who will recall it. Was surprised Uncle admitted it. Was clear to most people something dramatic had gone down after 18 months of insanity.

So why do you think Ollie has failed to secure another job in the football league?
                          Lol honestly, probably not got a job as still getting paid from here maybe, who knows........id be more inclined to think tony & les thought ollie hadnt done well enough, and they knew they had stcheeevie mac waiting in the wings, grass is greener and all that....again who knows

Comment

If as you say tony made that obvious then youll be able to find that anywhere & would imagine in the local papers

Comment

Hearing from my sauces he’ll be sacked if we fail to win tonight . JN

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnutt View Post
                                Hearing from my sauces he’ll be sacked if we fail to win tonight . JN
                                Olllie got sacked for far less so I should think so too!
                                I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Working...
                                X