No announcement yet.

McClaren: Stick or Twist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick with, we need stability. We can learn from the likes of Bristol City, who’s fans were calling for the managers head season before last, board stuck with him and last season and this been play off contenders. Likewise Norwich, this time last season and start of this fans were calling for the managers head, look at them now! Both these in my opinion show a way ahead, both similar budgets to ours and no big name Charlies

Comment

Stick - I feel we have the right man and I believe managers should be given at least 3 years. Next year we'll be in a much better place and we have a lot of youngsters to look forward too, it will be the start of a new era.

Comment

Stick. We surely can't attract anyone better given the situation at the club.

2019 hasn't gone well so far, but we weren't doing too badly before that.

True, he hasn't given the youth like BOS, Smyth and Chair much of a chance but perhaps next season he won't have much option in the matter.

Lets see how we fare next season.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
          Stick. We surely can't attract anyone better given the situation at the club.

2019 hasn't gone well so far, but we weren't doing too badly before that.

True, he hasn't given the youth like BOS, Smyth and Chair much of a chance but perhaps next season he won't have much option in the matter.

Lets see how we fare next season.
          Do you think SM is up for that type of squad? Based on the Board's change of stance and bringing in three loan signings and Rangel instead of our young lads it seems that might have happened after pressure from SM. When those four finish at the end of the season, and possibly Freeman will be sold, if there no money to replace them I think he'll go.

Comment

Originally posted by MYU View Post
            Stick - I feel we have the right man and I believe managers should be given at least 3 years. Next year we'll be in a much better place and we have a lot of youngsters to look forward too, it will be the start of a new era.
            Which of these youngsters will play up front and bang in 25 goals as a partnership? With Wells and Hamed heading off home it will be hard to get goals. Even those two haven't pulled up any trees and doubt they came cheap. Any success next season will hinge on the recruitment of a new forward pairing because there's nothing coming through our system that that fill that gap.

Comment

A lot will say blame the manager but he can’t put the ball in the net or stop a slip at the back. He can set the side up well or not though and this table says everything for me about how luck has gone and how we’ve played well a lot of the time. We’d be 9th now with a shot at the play offs on expected goals from attacking and defensive plays. A swing of -9 places the biggest in the division. Interesting to note Derby are +12 and are 18th in this table. The biggest swing the other way. It’s madness to suggest the manager should go for me, he’s had absolutely no funds and he’s still coaching a primarily JFH/Ollie squad. Lampard has spent between 5-10mill on Martyn Waghorn and I think he’s going to struggle to make it at Derby yet I think McClaren would have Derby in with a shot at automatic. We need to back the manager to come out of this as we’ve seen glimpses this season of his ability and that will come again
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Which of these youngsters will play up front and bang in 25 goals as a partnership? With Wells and Hamed heading off home it will be hard to get goals. Even those two haven't pulled up any trees and doubt they came cheap. Any success next season will hinge on the recruitment of a new forward pairing because there's nothing coming through our system that that fill that gap.
                We as a team have a problem creating chances, we could play anyone up top and still have the same result.

Comment

Our fans proper pi ss me off. Everyone wrongly hyped up rubbish like wells luongo Leistner and makes them out to be one the best in the league in their positions . Having said that , we ARE underachieving, Cameron wells hemed bidwell freeman luongo rangel Hall are all proven decent players in this league and we shouldn’t be where we are in the league, especially not losing 7-1 and losing 8 in a row . McLaren is doing a poor job as far as that is concernced , and don’t even get me started on what he said on developing the youngsters- THEY HAVE ALL GOT WORSE. He’s not even playing them any more , and we don’t have anything to play for....... JN

Comment

Originally posted by jamesnutt View Post
                    Our fans proper pi ss me off. Everyone wrongly hyped up rubbish like wells luongo Leistner and makes them out to be one the best in the league in their positions . Having said that , we ARE underachieving, Cameron wells hemed bidwell freeman luongo rangel Hall are all proven decent players in this league and we shouldn’t be where we are in the league, especially not losing 7-1 and losing 8 in a row . McLaren is doing a poor job as far as that is concernced , and don’t even get me started on what he said on developing the youngsters- THEY HAVE ALL GOT WORSE. He’s not even playing them any more , and we don’t have anything to play for....... JN
                    fair points tbh. wells and hemed are improvements on washington and sylla but still aren't cutting it for us this season. i think a lot of it has to do with the service from midfield and our nervous style of play.

we had a great few months after our diabolical start to the season but have massively gone backwards since then. we've simply not been good enough. i think loaning out the youngsters was the right idea but we loaned then out expecting our older players to do much better than they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Mac_Fan View Post
                      A lot will say blame the manager but he can’t put the ball in the net or stop a slip at the back. He can set the side up well or not though and this table says everything for me about how luck has gone and how we’ve played well a lot of the time. We’d be 9th now with a shot at the play offs on expected goals from attacking and defensive plays. A swing of -9 places the biggest in the division. Interesting to note Derby are +12 and are 18th in this table. The biggest swing the other way. It’s madness to suggest the manager should go for me, he’s had absolutely no funds and he’s still coaching a primarily JFH/Ollie squad. Lampard has spent between 5-10mill on Martyn Waghorn and I think he’s going to struggle to make it at Derby yet I think McClaren would have Derby in with a shot at automatic. We need to back the manager to come out of this as we’ve seen glimpses this season of his ability and that will come again
                      Steve, macs had absolutely no funds whatsoever?! im pretty sure the 4 loans werent free & what have we got out of them at the end of the day, when the cost we could of bought some frees in possibly, not too sure what that tables all about as its not the one that counts/matters.....
                      http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Originally posted by MYU View Post

We as a team have a problem creating chances, we could play anyone up top and still have the same result.
                        Agree myu, since xmas and even at forest with our win, we`ve been really struggling to create chances, this for mes where we could of done with giving the likes of chair smyth bos a chance to freshen things up seems as we`ve not been playing well or creating, same for me smith should be starting as he always causes problems with support around him, we`ve the players but the managers been too scared to drop the more experienced players.

Comment

This thread has predictably ended up with two questions. Firstly should we stick with SM? For me yes. Not happy with current run, is miserable. However my take on it is the squad has run out of legs and most of our youngsters are nowhere near as good as some think. We showed some good consistency earlier in the season and for a period overachieved. So not 100% convinced but would stick.

Second question is usual suspects saying we should have kept Ollie. Give it up guys. Surely fact he has been touting his availability and still hasn't got a job says it all about how he is viewed in football. His time has come and gone. Even the club admitted they had to tell him to change his silly formation and I suspect he was manager in name only for the only period we looked reasonably good under him. Great character but these days nowhere near good enough for this level.

Beyond that main issue is the squad is threadbare and youngsters not good enough in the main to play regularly. We send them out on loan and majority struggle for game time in lower divisions but according to some should be paying regularly in the Championship. We also lost all our defence barring Bidwell (Furlong missed half of season) and had no money to replace them which was always going to hurt us. Mainly just want to limp through rest of season avoiding trouble and see what happens in summer. With FFP was always likely to be a bruising season. We have had worse!

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                            This thread has predictably ended up with two questions. Firstly should we stick with SM? For me yes. Not happy with current run, is miserable. However my take on it is the squad has run out of legs and most of our youngsters are nowhere near as good as some think. We showed some good consistency earlier in the season and for a period overachieved. So not 100% convinced but would stick.

Second question is usual suspects saying we should have kept Ollie. Give it up guys. Surely fact he has been touting his availability and still hasn't got a job says it all about how he is viewed in football. s level.His time has come and gone. Even the club admitted they had to tell him to change his silly formation and I suspect he was manager in name only for the only period we looked reasonably good under him. Great character but these days nowhere near good enough for this level.

Beyond that main issue is the squad is threadbare and youngsters not good enough in the main to play regularly. We send them out on loan and majority struggle for game time in lower divisions but according to some should be paying regularly in the Championship. We also lost all our defence barring Bidwell (Furlong missed half of season) and had no money to replace them which was always going to hurt us. Mainly just want to limp through rest of season avoiding trouble and see what happens in summer. With FFP was always likely to be a bruising season. We have had worse!
                            For a start furtive, think youre wrong on the usual suspects comment, as if youve not noticed i havnt saidbout getting rid of maclaren as dont think its a good idea to atm in the season, also youre comment about the youngsters is rubbish as two of our better ones were sent out straight away, so how can they be judged as not good enough! more poor judgement on the super coaches behalf especially with running out of steam, poor management again relying on the same so many players & loanees

Also this comment "Even the club admitted they had to tell him to change his silly formation and I suspect he was manager in name only for the only period we looked reasonably good under him. Great character but these days nowhere near good enough for this level."

Lol what a made up load of tosh

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

For a start furtive, think youre wrong on the usual suspects comment, as if youve not noticed i havnt saidbout getting rid of maclaren as dont think its a good idea to atm in the season, also youre comment about the youngsters is rubbish as two of our better ones were sent out straight away, so how can they be judged as not good enough! more poor judgement on the super coaches behalf especially with running out of steam, poor management again relying on the same so many players & loanees
                              Are you saying you are one of the usual suspects?

So which youngsters do you believe are good enough that aren't playing regularly? Furlong on a poor run of form so dropped Eze for me clearly needs spell out which us understandable given how much game time he has had so far. Manning has not looked much since his return and didn't do an awful lot with Rotherham after promising start with them initially. BOS at times looks good but when he has started has not looked all that convincing. Oteh set out to get some proper game time and on bench with new club. Smyth we will see how he does. Too early to tell. Looked decent for a spell last season before fading. Chair has shown some promise so will be interested to see how he does and if he gets some consistent game time over remainder of season. Not saying there is no promise there but I am not convinced generally good enough to step into the breach and give first team regulars a rest.

Loan players have done ok. Rangel 36 so did pretty well to get game time out of him. Cameron same really. Wells and Hemed done ok overall although latter not got back into any form since injury. Bearing in mind FFP think club done pretty well with signings.

Comment

Originally posted by Clapton is God View Post

I think we have developed a weird element among our fanbase who just can't help themselves but hype up our players beyond ridiculous lengths.

Eze is one of the best young prospects outside the Premier League and we shouldn't accept less than £15m for him.

We have a Golden Generation of youngsters at the moment.

Luongo will be targeted by the big clubs and we should accept nothing less than £15-20m

And on and on and on...

How we came like this is a complete mystery but it's a big problem because it affects expectations.

We are a poor team who are relegation candidates for a reason. We're crap.

No more, no less.

​​​​​
                                what have I just read about loungo.cant believe I've just seen that. JN

Comment

Working...
                                X