• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our new ground be open b4 spurs or brexit
    Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Clapton is God View Post

There isn't a demand for a concert venue in this part of the World so it's completely delusional. Especially at that size.

The bands/acts who can justify a significantly large capacity are going to Hyde Park, Olympic Stadium or Wembley Stadium for the prestige. Springsteen even played in what was effectively a gravel car park outside the Olympic Stadium in 2013 just so they could call it an Olympic Stadium gig.

We're about 20 years behind the times if we genuinely think there's room for another concert venue of such size in London.

that is a fair point. i used to work at earls court exhibition center and that was closed down because it couldn't compete.

that being said though i can see the dailymail article as being something possible. the council would have the guarantee of money from our club anyway and would make money from other events. the idea of a pitch that makes a roof seems pretty cool too, although a bit unfeasable

Comment

Could be used in week for them African happy clappy church,they get bigger crowds than us
        Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post

that is a fair point. i used to work at earls court exhibition center and that was closed down because it couldn't compete.
          It had its critics, and I was definitely one of them, but it was a shame when Earl's Court closed down. It was such an important part of British music history - from Bowie playing the first ever gig there (It was meant to be Slade BTW), Pink Floyd's Dark Side/Wall/Division Bell shows through to Oasis and The Osmonds (Who I can't stand btw, but theres no denying their effect, good or bad on British teen culture in the 70s) - but the building of the O2 made it a pointless venue.

The success of that and the Olympic Stadium proving that they can't get stadium shoes perfect has rendered any plans for a concert venue in West London dead in the water before they have even begun construction.

I have my problems with the current board but I don't think they are that stupid.
          ​​​​​

​​

Comment

[QUOTE=Clapton is God;n2507896]

There isn't a demand for a concert venue in this part of the World so it's completely delusional. Especially at that size.

The bands/acts who can justify a significantly large capacity are going to Hyde Park, Olympic Stadium or Wembley Stadium for the prestige. Springsteen even played in what was effectively a gravel car park outside the Olympic Stadium in 2013 just so they could call it an Olympic Stadium gig.

We're about 20 years behind the times if we genuinely think there's room for another concert venue of such size in

Dunno walking distance from HS 2 could be the most accessible concert , boxing , variable arena to most of the country

Comment

With so many option for concerts in London not sure another one needed but we were forward thinking with Astro turf that enabled boxing never know what we got in mind, realistically we gotta move lr old and not big enough should we return to prem just to increase gate revenue irrespective of add on options. On another note we sell out allocation of Wembley when we visit so never say never

Comment

Originally posted by shanns View Post
                For gods sake just get on with it, I would like to go to it before I die.
                Me too.
                It's dragging on far too long for my liking.

Comment

Not so sure about the argument that there is no concert demand in West London due to 02 and that 02 took out Earls Ct.

Earls Ct was to the end drawing in the big acts. It wasn't 02 that killed it but Boris who saw regeneration aka hundreds of expensive flats that no one lives in. The London property boom centred around West london did it for earls Ct.

We've always been a major part of the English music scene.We have great heritage. Noticed a queue at Bush Hall yesterday when walking to the ground.

Earls Ct and Olympia have both gone. For the big concerts we have Wembley Stadium, Arena and Twickenham .

Arena is approx 12k and a bit old and the other two are massive. 30k or thereabouts concert venue would imho do quite well as wide range of bands that are not big enough for the stadiums but the arena is too small. It would compete with 02 as slightly bigger with better transport links for everyone who doesn't live in Greenwich. As someone suggested boxing could also be attracted as I think medium size venues are lacking it's either 20k 02 or 90k Wembley.. Before, football stadiums would fill the gaps but with sky money and other revenue streams the big clubs appear no longer that interested apart from WH.

Recently been an explosion in touring as bands aren't making the cash they use to out of royalties due to streaming. Look up who's playing Wembley Stadium this year, it's anyone, I'm surprised Chico ain't got a residency.

I got the cheapest tickets for metallica this year and it set me back approx £70. I'm sure me level 42 tickets at Hammersmith Odeon in the 80s were about £8
                  Last edited by TBLOCKRANGER; 28-02-2019, 02:29 AM.

Comment

I think you're right TBlock, especially with more bands touring due to digital downloading.

I saw Metallica at Wembley arena early to mid 90s, it was a pain getting a ticket, they could of easily sold 30k +
                    Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                    Work Best When Open...
                    @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

If this is a council project Im suprised a groubd share with Fulham hasnt been mentioned. Also, if we are going to fund the last option then hopefully the council will agree to us selling HQ for commercial development and ignore the community covernant on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                        If this is a council project Im suprised a groubd share with Fulham hasnt been mentioned. Also, if we are going to fund the last option then hopefully the council will agree to us selling HQ for commercial development and ignore the community covernant on the site.
                        The council can't lift that mucker it's the only protection the fans have got that the club doesn't become homeless , the council will lift the covenant when they know that isn't going to happen ie when a new stadium is cast iron .
                        but the bottom line is there's more chance of Tommy Robinson becoming head of the BBC than this latest pie in the sky getting off the ground

Comment

Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
                          If you read the article there are four options, option four being a 35,000 capacity stadium funded by the occupier. That would be best for us. A bigger version of Loftus Road, same layout with more leg room and no restricted views, steep stands close to the pitch, that would be perfect!
                          Liking the sound of that, we only need 30-35,000 & no bigger, but liking the sound of simular to loftus rd, first thing sprung to mind reading this picturing a bowl like stadium half empty.
                          http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

Working...
                          X