Boro Match Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boro Match Thread

QPR boss Steve McClaren will asses the fitness of duo Luke Freeman and Grant Hall ahead of Saturday’s trip to Middlesbrough.

Freeman limped off in the later stages of Tuesday’s 3-2 defeat against West Bromwich Albion with a hip problem.

And McClaren had expressed he feared Saturday’s trip to the Riverside would come too soon for the talisman.

However, the R’s chief revealed on Friday morning that his injury isn’t as bad as first feared and Freeman, who has six goals this season, could be on the bus to Teesside.

“Luke isn’t as bad as we first thought so that is encouraging,” McClaren told www.qpr.co.uk.

“We are reviewing it today and we will make a late decision on him. But knowing we have Leeds and Brentford coming up we have to be careful."

Meanwhile, defender Grant Hall will also be assessed ahead of the trip north.

Hall was rested for Tuesday’s loss against the Baggies with a niggle and he will also be checked on today before deciding if he will make the journey.

“Hally, we are assessing today as well,” Steve confirmed.

“Geoff (Cameron) and Angel (Rangel) are getting there but will still be another couple of weeks also.”

grant_hall_fitness_01.jpg

Comment

R’s to take advantage of Boro’s home woes?

QPR head up north this weekend to take on Middlesbrough in what will be the 50th game between the two sides.

The R’s and Boro have enjoyed some cracking games against each other in recent years and Steve McClaren will be hoping his current side can end their bad run when facing one of his old teams.

The QPR gaffer had a lot of success with the Teessiders in the early noughties but managed to get one over them in this fixture back in December with Nahki Wells scoring the winner.

In truth, neither team are in great form heading into this match. Boro have only won one of their last four games which by their very high standards is slightly disappointing and leaves them seven points off the top two.

There’s still plenty for Tony Pulis’s side to play for but if they are to go up then they must address their home form in the final two months of the season. Middlesbrough have picked up the fewest amount of points out of all the teams in the top half of the table and have yet to win a home league fixture this year.

As for QPR, well the R’s simply need to find a way to bring something back to Loftus Road to stop the rot that McClaren’s side are currently enduring. Having been in such a positive position at the start of 2019, the R’s now find themselves 18th in the league.

There’s still plenty for Tony Pulis’s side to play for but if they are to go up then they must address their home form in the final two months of the season. Middlesbrough have picked up the fewest amount of points out of all the teams in the top half of the table and have yet to win a home league fixture this year.

As for QPR, well the R’s simply need to find a way to bring something back to Loftus Road to stop the rot that McClaren’s side are currently enduring. Having been in such a positive position at the start of 2019, the R’s now find themselves 18th in the league.

QPR’s performances have deserved more but it’s the points on the board that matters and the R’s have been lacking in that department of late.
      Head to Head

Played 50

QPR wins 18

Draws 17

Middlesbrough wins 15

Comment

All above from https://www.qpr.co.uk

Comment

Opta stats

Middlesbrough have won four of their last five league matches against QPR, losing the other in this season's reverse fixture at Loftus Road (1-2).

None of the last 13 league meetings between Middlesbrough and QPR have ended as a draw (seven wins for Middlesbrough, six for QPR).

QPR were the last team to concede first and win at the Riverside Stadium against Middlesbrough in a league game, doing so in March 2014; the hosts are unbeaten in their last 61 home league matches when scoring first (W54 D7).

QPR's six-match losing streak represents Steve McClaren's longest losing run in league competition as a manager.

Middlesbrough have won just two of their last 11 home league matches (D6 L3) since starting the season with four consecutive wins at the Riverside.

QPR's last five away Championship defeats have been by a single-goal margin, losing the last three in a row (0-1, 1-2, 1-2).

Comment

QPR boss Steve McClaren wants his side to make it their day at Middlesbrough on Saturday.

A series a blows late in halves in recent matches has seen the R’s lose their last six Championship matches.

And McClaren wants his side to learn from the recent experience and use it to create resilience in a bid to end that run of form.

“They are a remarkable group and at times like this it is building resilience which is important,” he told www.qpr.co.uk.

“No one likes it, you could easily feel sorry for yourself but you can’t have that attitude. The only way it will turn is to work harder and stick together.

“We’ve played very well in spells in games but the disappointing thing for me is that we built a good run on being hard to beat.

“We’re conceding too many goals and I don’t like that, that isn’t going to win you matches. If you score two at home you expect to either win or draw the game.”

Saturday sees QPR head to promotion-chasing Middlesbrough.

It’s a club McClaren knows well having enjoyed success on Teesside between 2001 and 2006.

And the R’s chief has called on his squad to make it their day as they did in away day successes at Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa.

“We’ve been reflecting on some of the away games we’ve played,” he said.

“We looked very resilient against Bristol City and we didn’t deserve that and then you are talking about Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest so we have proved that we can go away from home and get results.

“We have to prove that again tomorrow. We don’t fear anyone in this league on our day but we’ve got to make it our day.

“It was a long time ago now (since McClaren was Middlesbrough manager) but I still live in the area and I know everybody.

“I’ve been back before so I’ve got over that.

“As long as the boys stick together and fight and give the sort of performances they have been doing then eventually we will get a result from that. What we mustn’t do is loose belief or confidence.”

Comment

Pubs for tomorrow please, I’m up here already
              Thank **ck thats all over with !!! need a holiday!!!

Comment

Hall, Rangel and Cameron still injured. Hmm..
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

WTF Lynch.....so clumsy....

//Nostradamus

Comment

Why, why are we sitting so deep and giving them so much time

/Nostradamus again

Comment

We have to keep the ball and not just hoofing it

/ You know

Comment

I`m not sure why we time and time again drops too deep. Not sure I will ever know, for that matter..
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

I'm just going out, ignoring all media

Comment

Can’t make it today , my lads got a trial at Sheffield United fingers crossed. Any chance of a stream. JN

Comment

0b92d050-3a19-4683-b7e7-a1ca6ff1d7d0.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X