Release the handbrake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Wilson

They have but it's his 1st season at this level, playing every week. I'm surprised he is not rested more often.

See fans calling him lazy a lot and it's a bit annoying. Was it Ollie that talked about piano shifters and piano players?...this boy can play and will get better IMO
    great with the ball and gets us his fair share of free kicks around the box , but lacks any stamina

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

How is picking an out and out winger with no experience playing central midfield in central midfield a wise idea?

Seen some silly posts on this site recently, but this one is right up there!

If you can’t see that he has the attributes needed and is a better option than Scowen and Cousins - well.....Specsavers. He has experience playing CMF (though limited) and sometimes it is better to change players position, especially if the ones we have are not good enough to play the football we need to play to give playoffs a chance. The mantra ”you can’t play players out of position” isn’t always right, you have to adapt to the specific situation and be flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post

If you can’t see that he has the attributes needed and is a better option than Scowen and Cousins - well.....Specsavers. He has experience playing CMF (though limited) and sometimes it is better to change players position, especially if the ones we have are not good enough to play the football we need to play to give playoffs a chance. The mantra ”you can’t play players out of position” isn’t always right, you have to adapt to the specific situation and be flexible.
        Straight from the Ian Holloway school of football management that! Ha ha

let's just agree to disagree on this one mate.

Comment

Couple of matters arising.

At this level, and with our lack of depth, playing people fundementally out of position is to be avoided. You can have all the skill and vision in the world but box to box mf requires a physical dimension that I'm not sure Pavel has. The last great ATM we had was Adel, and he physically tough to disposess. Even if you are ATM only like he was you better be prepared for a right
          battle with their holding MFs and again I'm not sure if Pavel has that.

The other point here is Smith (who is part of the PW debate). Throughout his career the minute Smith has stepped on the park the fvckin football goes airborne and long. What he actually needs is airborne from wide and deep, ie final third maximum. Pav is one the very few people on the books who can do some damage from wide. I'd like to see us play the ball in behind more, use the space, get it in the box from there.

There real reson why Smac has the handbrake on might have something to do with the fact that during his first proper competitive game in charge we were mercilessly raped. Since then we've had a few blemishes, but we don't look like a mobile catastrophe. That's progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

Straight from the Ian Holloway school of football management that! Ha ha

let's just agree to disagree on this one mate.
            Oiii leave me out of it!
            http://soundcloud.com/pinkie2

Comment

It could also be an option to let Pawel play as wide right as possible. The last few matches he has been forced to track back or cut inside too often for my liking. IMO, we should Play Freeman in the ATM role.... instead.
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkie View Post

Sorry but last season for quite a big chunk of the second half of the season we was dominating possession with this same squad and the younger players, so dont agree with you there
                Was this the part of the season after Ollie was told to change tactics and basically was in charge in name only?

Comment

Pawel skulle rocka som central mittfältare, men i ett land där många (dock inte alla) fortfarande tar taktiska idéer från frysboxen förstår jag att idéen att alla CMF ska kunna spela fotboll inte faller i god jord. Inte sedan 1966 har sina orsaker.

Comment

Anyone that says Cameron should be backup needs their heads testing. Can't win anything without an accomplished ball-winning central midfielder.

Comment

Pawel skulle rocka som central mittfältare, men i ett land där många (dock inte alla) fortfarande tar taktiska idéer från frysboxen förstår jag att idéen att alla CMF ska kunna spela fotboll inte faller i god jord. Inte sedan 1966 har sina orsaker.

Pawel would rock as a central midfielder, but in a country where many (though not all) still take tactical ideas from the freezer box, I understand that the idea that all CMF should be able to play football does not fall into good soil. Not since 1966 has its causes.

Had to Google translate Swede, as the only Swedish I know is 'Fitta' & 'Knulla'

Got a couple of mates in Sundsval
                      Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                      Work Best When Open...
                      @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by Fraggy View Post

Pawel would rock as a central midfielder, but in a country where many (though not all) still take tactical ideas from the freezer box, I understand that the idea that all CMF should be able to play football does not fall into good soil. Not since 1966 has its causes.

Had to Google translate Swede, as the only Swedish I know is 'Fitta' & 'Knulla'

Got a couple of mates in Sundsval
                        Your swedish is limited but you have learned the basics, well done Sundsvall not far from me. Proper people from the North.

Comment

Your swedish is limited but you have learned the basics, well done Sundsvall not far from me. Proper people from the North.
                          And also very good moonshine
                          Minds Are Like Parachutes.
                          Work Best When Open...
                          @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

You can't polish a turd (does that work in Swedish?) Creative ATMs average out as the most expensive players in world football (at all levels). That means that if you have a youngster who looks like he could be the answer you take a chance and you play him. We just don't know if we have anyone, but giving it a try is worth a shot.

Comment

Hal, that’s the second time I’ve seen you refer to ATM’s now.

What are they exactly, other than cashpoints?

Comment

Originally posted by brightonr View Post
                                Hal, that’s the second time I’ve seen you refer to ATM’s now.

What are they exactly, other than cashpoints?
                                Ar*e to Mouth mate. Horribly unhygenic!

Comment

Working...
                                X