Evil Les

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
    My mind has never needed changing. He’s done good job from day dot for us and I thank him.

Some simply don’t like or agree with DOF role (I accept and understand why they would feel that way) but it’s now bearing fruit. Football has moved on the DOF role is key now
    Les: hey, Stheeve, I know you've won titles overseas and took an unfashionable club like Middlesborough to the UEFA Cup Final, but I once won the Turkish FA Cup as a loanee and that trumps everything you have done... What I'm saying is that you MUST listen to me....

Comment

Haters going to hate

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
        Haters going to hate
        It's not about hating.

It's about being realistic.

Honest question: Do you honestly believe that he has any say about footballing matters above a manager with proven success as McClaren has?

Comment

Originally posted by OldR View Post
          There is no need for DOF at QPR. It serves no purpose and if anyone thinks that Les Ferdinand - with no managerial success and a solitary medal in both the English League Cup and Turkish Cup - is telling Steve Mcclaren what to do then they are deluding themselves. he also had no say in choosing McClaren beyond saying 'I think he will work for us' or not.

He did, however, have more than just an ear with the board and when he had this opportunity there is no doubt that he used it for 'jobs for the boys' and to suit a political agenda. Absolutely no doubt.at all. He will never lose my respect for what he did as a player here, but as a DOF he embarrassed himself.
          there's a lot of truth in that.

really naffed me off when he was simply trying to prove a black/coloured candidate could be a successful manager at this level.

I've always believed any position in life should be filled by the best candidate for the job REGARDLESS of race, religion, colour or sexual persuasion.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
            Never personally thought he was doing anything more than his job and have always thought he did that very well. Anyone who thinks otherwise wants to give their head a wobble and this constant “there has to be some ulterior motive” thing is all a bit weird imo
            This. Never saw the big issue with the anti Les thing. Clearly had a million problems to deal with and it appears we're getting there.

Comment

Honest question: Do you honestly believe that he has any say about footballing matters above a manager with proven success as McClaren has?
              No I don't.

However based on what the club have always put out, my understanding of his role as DOF at QPR, is primarily:

1) To negotiate contracts with players, be it for new signings or renewing contracts.
              2) To target new players, as recommended by the manager for the positions we are short in.
              3) To liaise and co-ordinate between McClaren, Gary Penrice, Ian Butterworth and Chris Ramsey over academy players and our scouting network, and their interface with the first team squad.

None of the above, overrides or treads on McClaren's toes in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, the two roles dove-tail very well.

With all that being said, LF, by his own admission, has stated that he's had to learn the job on the fly, and as such has made mistakes in the past. The managerial appointments of JFH and CR being two examples, both of which he did have a say in.
              Last edited by Stanley; 28-12-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

DOF offers continuity to squad and club. Usually when a new manager comes in he completely overhauls the squad to get ‘his’ players in. DOF limits this and makes sure recent purchases aren’t jettisoned.

In turn this makes managers attempt to develop what they have other than the odd addition or two.

i honestly don’t believe we would be in the position we are now without the DOF to stop knee jerk signings and create a squad stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

No I don't.

However based on what the club have always put out, my understanding of his role, as DOF at QPR, is primarily:

1) To negotiate contracts with players, be it for new signings or renewing contracts.
                  2) To target new players, as recommended by the manager for the positions we are short in.
                  3) To liaise and co-ordinate between McClaren, Gary Penrice, Ian Butterworth and Chris Ramsey over academy players and our scouting network, and their interface with the first team squad.

None of the above, overrides or treads on McClaren's toes in any way, shape or form. On the contrary, the two roles dove-tail very well.

With all that being said, LF, by his own admission, has stated that he's had to learn the job on the fly, and as such has made mistakes in the past. The managerial appointments of JFH and CR being two examples, both of which he did have a say in.
                  1) Steve McClaren and his successors will always pick the players to sign/keep

2) Target new players 'as recommended by the manager'

3) To liaise with those with more responsibility than him...

See, if you break the DOF role down to the brutal truth it is nothing more than a glorified administration role which previous employees at the club - and employees at most other clubs - do with little or no fanfair. He is an expensive Admin Assistant who used to have a bit more power but that was stripped back as soon as he proved himself to be a) a disaster and b) abusing the platform for political reasons.

The role doesn't bring anything to the club and was created as a lip service by the board when they realised they were losing the fans. He is only stil in the position because the wool has been pulled over too many people's eyes.

Comment

Not a hater West but 3 bad managers for 5 years mate speaks for itself does it not
                    Also how many decent managers did not apply due to us having a DOF ?
                    5 years is a long time to turn out shite really isn't it when your a paying customer

Comment

1) Steve McClaren and his successors will always pick the players to sign/keep

2) Target new players 'as recommended by the manager'

3) To liaise with those with more responsibility than him...

See, if you break the DOF role down to the brutal truth it is nothing more than a glorified administration role which previous employees at the club - and employees at most other clubs - do with little or no fanfair. He is an expensive Admin Assistant who used to have a bit more power but that was stripped back as soon as he proved himself to be a) a disaster and b) abusing the platform for political reasons.

The role doesn't bring anything to the club and was created as a lip service by the board when they realised they were losing the fans. He is only stil in the position because the wool has been pulled over too many people's eyes.
                      Soccernomics by Simon Kuper has a good explanation of the role and purpose of a DOF. Whether you like Les or not he is doing the job described fairly well.
                      It also explains why a club like us might have need of a DOF in modern football with the manager merry go round.

Comment

Had we not employed Ramsey would we have survived in the Premier League ? Maybe
                        Had we have employed Warnock would we still be in the Championship ? Maybe Not
                        Had we not have appointed JFH would I have saved 400 notes watching crap football ? Maybe

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
                          DOF offers continuity to squad and club. Usually when a new manager comes in he completely overhauls the squad to get ‘his’ players in. DOF limits this and makes sure recent purchases aren’t jettisoned.

In turn this makes managers attempt to develop what they have other than the odd addition or two.

i honestly don’t believe we would be in the position we are now without the DOF to stop knee jerk signings and create a squad stability.

The first full season of DOF was 15/16.

We brought in 13 new players.

In 16/17 we brought in 8 new players

In 17/18 we brought in 5.

The only reason the figure for the last of those seasons was that low was because we were broke.

In 3 full seasons with a DOF in place we have brought in 26 new players and this increases to 31 if you include this season's signings. This is the same amount as all the players we signed combined between 1980/81 and 1992/93 (inclusive)...

You were saying how things are now better than ever before...

Comment

Originally posted by The General View Post
                            Had we not employed Ramsey would we have survived in the Premier League ? Maybe
                            Had we have employed Warnock would we still be in the Championship ? Maybe Not
                            Had we not have appointed JFH would I have saved 400 notes watching crap football ? Maybe
                            I suppose another way of looking at it is this.

when CR failed as manager, without the DOF would we have kept him on as technical director? Without CR as technical director would we have had the youth players brought in or brought through into the first team?

swings and roundabouts.

Comment

You were saying how things are now better than ever before...
                              Dont remember saying that but do appreciate things are better post LF DOF. Clearly not initially as you had to move on players on high contracts and replace with players he felt had potential. Sure some have been poor while with us, whilst others have been sold on with a profit.

football was very different between 82-92 on and off the field, we are talking pre SKY, largely pre bosman and with much less financial incentive for success.

Comment

Awin I think CR is a great tech director but an appalling decision to be made manger
                                Interested to see how you defend the JFH decision to be manager too mate
                                5 years of crap but as things are now good you all suddenly have short memories
                                I'm really happy how things are but Les has been shocking end of story

Comment

Working...
                                X