X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnley FC ‏

Burnley FC‏Verified account @BurnleyOfficial
    FollowFollow @BurnleyOfficial
    740 viewsBurnley Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Mike Rigg as Technical Director.

Rigg, who has held a variety of high-profile roles within domestic and international football, will head up the process of talent identification and recruitment throughout the whole club, from Academy to first team.

The 49-year-old, who has previously worked as head of player acquisition at Manchester City, will also oversee a new, large investment programme in growing the talent identification and analysis teams at the club.

The new chain of command will see Rigg report directly into Chairman Mike Garlick, as remains the case with first team manager Sean Dyche.

Mr Garlick said: “We are delighted to welcome Mike on board.

“All of the candidates which Sean and myself interviewed were of a very high calibre.

“However, Mike stood out as someone who we feel can help move the club forward in terms of identifying and hiring the best possible footballing talent, both on a national and international basis.

“It’s an area of the club that we need to invest in and improve further, and we feel sure that Mike’s wealth of experience will be a valuable asset to us.”

Educated at the Manchester Metropolitan University, Rigg initially worked in the football community schemes at Wrexham and Chester in the late 1980s and early 1990s, before working as Technical Director for the FA of Wales for six years, between 1995-2001.

He was appointed Head of Academy at Sheffield Wednesday in 2001, later becoming Blackburn Rovers Chief Scout in 2006 and joining Manchester City two years later as their Head of Player Acquisition.

Following a hugely influential four-year stint at the Etihad - overseeing much of City’s transformation to one of the biggest clubs in world football, where he helped sign the likes of Yaya Toure, David Silva and Sergio Aguero - Rigg was appointed Technical Director at QPR in 2012.

A role as Head of Talent Identification at the Football Association followed in 2013, where he was tasked with all age groups in both the men's and women's game, working alongside future England manager Gareth Southgate and former FA Technical Director Dan Ashworth.

He then became Chief Footballing Officer at Fulham, and latterly, after leaving his role at Craven Cottage, has worked as a Global Football Advisor for an executive sports recruitment company, working with football clients in North America, Europe, the UK and Asia.

Rigg, who commences his new role at Burnley Football Club on December 1, said: “I am delighted and absolutely honoured to be asked to come and join the club.

“I have worked for over 30 years in football, starting out as a community officer, which was a terrific grounding, and have been lucky to work with national associations and club sides.

“I feel I have an excellent understanding of all areas and how things have to fit together to be successful.

“What Burnley has achieved over the past few years is absolutely phenomenal and I hope I can do everything possible to support Sean and try and strengthen the club’s position moving forwards.”

Clarets boss Dyche added: “I have mentioned over the past couple of years how important it is to grow all areas of the club, and recruitment structuring and how we want to go forward, is an important part of that.

“I think at the end of a good process for the club, involving myself and the chairman, amongst others, we have found someone who can help the club to grow.

“By bringing in Mike, I think it’s a great opportunity for him to stamp his side on the way that we work.

“Within the role it’s not just recruitment, but that’s a big part of it, and with Mike’s background, both here and abroad, in searching for the right players for Burnley Football Club, I think that experience will be needed and used wisely, and that’s what we’ll look to Mike to add to what we already do.”

Wow when will clubs see through this man

Comment

Loooooooooooooool. Unlucky

its how they mention his time at City & who he helped to sign & then it mentions QPR & nothing else

because he did a terrible job
      Under Les Ferdinand:
      Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
      Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
      Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
      Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
      And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Poor Burnley, seem like a well run club. Don't deserve what's about to inevitably happen to them

Comment

Really surprised by this appointment , I’ve spoken to Sean Dyche quite a bit recently as he drinks in our village pub in Northamptonshire.
          Hes a top manager and a right down to earth bloke, I hope this doesn’t upset the apple cart for him.
          F*CK OFF CHELSEA WEST LONDON IS OURS!

Comment

They seem like quite a sensible club so can’t for the life of me think why they’d employ this f****** c***. Deary me they are in for a shock

Comment

Someone hasn't done their homework and just fell for the CV and bovine excrement. Why don't they just sack Dyche and bring in Hughes.Can be a top Prem bullsh*t club then.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
                They seem like quite a sensible club so can’t for the life of me think why they’d employ this f****** c***. Deary me they are in for a shock
                Just like stoke established prem club appointed Hughes and dropped

Comment

Oh dear. Ironic that he’s head of recruitment when clearly someone’s not done their homework in recruiting him!

Comment

He is an example of all that is wrong in the Premier League. Strange decision by Burnley FC as always thought of them as well run and clever.

Comment

Working...
                    X