Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Women's team - a justifiable cost to the club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Women's team - a justifiable cost to the club?

When discussing women's football I always feel compelled to start by saying that I am not a misogynistic dinosaur and I have no problems with women playing football: in fact, I think anyone who does is a moron to be honest.

However - and this isn't on par with I'm not racist, but - there is no denying that the standard of the elite women, though improving, is still significantly below the men's game and the top clubs generate less crowds than the most successful non-league clubs in men's football. That's the top level. There is no doubt that the QPR women's team is nowhere near the elite and generates interest and crowds on par with teams who play a number of divisions below the National League. My local non-league team, Raynes Park Vale, play in the Combined Counties League -4 divisions below the National League - and get better crowds.

Today on the official website is confirmation of another heavy defeat for the QPR women's team: 7-1 to Coventry. These big defeats are a regular occurrence.

So, how is the continuation of this team justifiable to a club who have had to tighten the purse strings over the last 12 months and who will have to do so for a few more? There is no or little interest in the side and we can never hope to make anything but a financial loss.

So what's the solution? Do we just admit that there is no demand and wind the section up? Do we have the women's team fund themselves as a separate entity? Do we have a duty/responsibility to have a women's side regardless of the cost?

I'm not a sexist, some of my best friends are women, but ??................

It's a community thing init Old?...I thought you were big on community and inclusiveness...

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
      I'm not a sexist, some of my best friends are women, but ??................

It's a community thing init Old?...I thought you were big on community and inclusiveness...
      I understand the community aspect and the importance of inclusiveness, but we are a business at the end of the day and no other business would feel compelled to make a guaranteed financial loss to prove how inclusive they are.

Surely we can show how inclusive our community is in other ways which wouldn't add to the financial burden we already have as a club?

Comment

i doubt that the financial burden is that much to the club tbh, i reckon that the mens teams expenses for a week could probably cover the womens expenses for an entire year.

i don't keep up with the womens team but its good that the club is doing it. i'm sure many girl qpr supporters dream of playing for us one day, they shouldnt be denied that imo.

Comment

Wasn’t always that way - in fact at one point it was so much more popular than the men’s game that they had it banned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606

Comment

It’s also not the women’s teams fault that we have been hammered with ffp.In my opinion we should back them I doubt it is costing a fortune and they are representing QPR so that’s fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
              Wasn’t always that way - in fact at one point it was so much more popular than the men’s game that they had it banned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30329606
              There was no need to ban it.

Attendances were extraordinary for the duration of WW1 because there was a demand to watch the sport in any guise - even youth team fixtures got attendances previously the reserve of senior league football - but at no point was the women's game 'more popular than men's' and the demand for an alternative to men's football ended the moment the normal league resumed. Yes, there were a few stand-out attendances post WW1- most notably one at Goodison Park where 14,000 were locked out, though this was primarily the consequence of Lily Parr's presence- but for the most part attendances were insignificant and a huge drop occurred post war.

Regardless, there is no evidence that there exists any significant demand now. As I said, Raynes Park Vale get bigger crowds than our women's team and Sutton United get more for a run-of-the-mill league match than they got for the recent Manchester United vs Liverpool women's fixture. The FA even have to issue thousands of free tickets for the Women's FA Cup final which is ludicrously held at Wembley Stadium: btw, I find it equally ridiculous that The FA Trophy and FA Vase finals are played at a half empty Wembley Stadium when a ground like Stamford Bridge, for example, would be more than sufficient if they are to be held in London.The England national side's last match was free to watch on Twitter but early indications suggest that it struggled to attract 4 figures...

Apart from the obvious problems with standard,the other significant problem is that even the target audience - women - would rather watch a men's match than women's.

As I said above, I get the community and 'inclusive' rationale for having a side but we need them to work for us financially. How about they play their home matches at Loftus Road on the same day the men's team is at home - with a Noon kick off - which might increase our food/drink sales thus bringing extra revenue to the club or simply just sponsor them and provide kits but treat them as a separate entity who must create their own revenue?

Comment

Should play woman’s games half hour after the men’s at Loftus Road and people can stay on and watch. Keep food outlets open so club is making money, I’m sure crowds would be better then what they currently get, fans would get more for their ticket, and girls would probably play better in front of bigger crowd

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                  Should play woman’s games half hour after the men’s at Loftus Road and people can stay on and watch. Keep food outlets open so club is making money, I’m sure crowds would be better then what they currently get, fans would get more for their ticket, and girls would probably play better in front of bigger crowd
                  Far better idea than mine to host games before the men's/

With your idea we would definitely increase revenue too as the ban on drinking alcohol in view of the pitch wouldn't count after the men's game but would beforehand.

Secondly, we currently rent Holycroft Stadium for the women's team and make a loss at every fixture because attendances are so poor. Hosting matches at Loftus Road could see us making a profit for every match.

Comment

Think West Actons idea is a splendid one in order to raise attendance although other than food and beverage it does not raise money . Cannot imagine to the club of fielding a womens team is that great but I do think it is something that given the rise of womens football the club really need to do . Unfortunately our womens team is just not very good . I think the coaching staff as well as developing local and English talent should set up connections with the US as there is a dearth of quality players who after graduating from college who would like nothing better than to play abroad , even without funding.
                    This could also be done in conjunction with local universities who often want US players to come study and play after having done their Bachelors in the states. Durham is a good example and is always seeking US players . So I think with a bit of thought this the club could have a far better and more competitive womens team at very little cost .

Comment

Just seen that the highest gate for the women's team this season is 90... the average is around 55...

It's inconceivable that they don't increase this at least four-fold if matches are played at Loftus Road after the men's fixtures.

Comment

Originally posted by OldR View Post
                        Hosting matches at Loftus Road could see us making a profit for every match.
                        From selling a few more beers and pies ?

Comment

Women’s football is awful. They want equally but they are simply not as good

Not sexist, it’s fact
                          Under Les Ferdinand:
                          Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
                          Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
                          Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
                          Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
                          And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

Is the men's team a justifiable cost to the club? Both men's and women's teams are loss making. I doubt the women's team costs much, but you'd never find me getting interested in it. Perhaps the BBC should sponsor their league and show games on prime time after the tepid One Show.

Comment

think they prob pay out more themselves to play than club puts in, i say back them. They may not be most gifted but want to play for us.
                              Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Working...
                              X