Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qpr fan arrested.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    And 'Life of Brian' was intended to mock too. Had that film never been made for fear of causing offence the world would have been denied a piece of classic cinema, providing great entertainment to millions throughout the world.
    Or did they simply intend to entertain ?

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post
      Or did they simply intend to entertain ?
      That too. But they're comedians, so that was a given.

      Charlie Hebdo cartoons are intended to entertain too - also a given.
      IMO
      YMMV
      LOL

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

        Personally think it depends on intent to cause offence.
        Agree with this.... most of the time it is easy to spot humour rather than something a bit darker.....

        Comment


        • #94
          Paris-Charlie-Hebd_3157845k.jpg
          IMO
          YMMV
          LOL

          Comment


          • #95
            Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

            So burning effigies of Trump, Boris, Thatcher?...poppies being burnt not so long ago?
            None of that is racist, so you ok with that? really?
            Burning effigies of politicians is a time honoured tradition which both left and right use, though admittedly, more on the left at present. I don't have a problem with it but can see how some would find it offensive especially when an effigy of a foreign dignitary is burned and they don't have the same expression of dislike/dissatisfaction in their culture.

            However, as a Catholic, I do find it quite questionable that the people of Lewes, in 2018, still find it acceptable to burn an effigy of the current Pope on 5th November. Want to burn an effigy of Leo XI who was Pope at the time of the Gunpowder Plot? Yep, go for it but why is it acceptable that the Religious leader to a billion people across The Globe should be burned as an effigy?

            The poppy.... It is an interesting case. It must be remembered that the Poppy is not a religious symbol but the trademarked symbol of 1 charitable organisation. It is not even recognised officially as a national symbol either. That said, it is a symbol which means a lot to a lot of people even though most people don't buy one now and The Royal British Legion have commercialised it so much that what was once a somber, dignified symbol can now be found on women's knickers with no complaints from RBL.

            Those who burned the poppy were found guilty of a Public Order Offence which is the only crime that they could have been guilty off given the secular nature of the symbol so the only thing up for debate is the fine. I think it should have been more - not excessive mind you - but some people's reaction to the judicial decision was over the top in my opinion.

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by OldR View Post

              Burning effigies of politicians is a time honoured tradition which both left and right use, though admittedly, more on the left at present. I don't have a problem with it but can see how some would find it offensive especially when an effigy of a foreign dignitary is burned and they don't have the same expression of dislike/dissatisfaction in their culture.

              However, as a Catholic, I do find it quite questionable that the people of Lewes, in 2018, still find it acceptable to burn an effigy of the current Pope on 5th November. Want to burn an effigy of Leo XI who was Pope at the time of the Gunpowder Plot? Yep, go for it but why is it acceptable that the Religious leader to a billion people across The Globe should be burned as an effigy?

              The poppy.... It is an interesting case. It must be remembered that the Poppy is not a religious symbol but the trademarked symbol of 1 charitable organisation. It is not even recognised officially as a national symbol either. That said, it is a symbol which means a lot to a lot of people even though most people don't buy one now and The Royal British Legion have commercialised it so much that what was once a somber, dignified symbol can now be found on women's knickers with no complaints from RBL.

              Those who burned the poppy were found guilty of a Public Order Offence which is the only crime that they could have been guilty off given the secular nature of the symbol so the only thing up for debate is the fine. I think it should have been more - not excessive mind you - but some people's reaction to the judicial decision was over the top in my opinion.
              Ok see now here is the hole in your argument. You're happy that the pope of the time of the
              gunpowder plot can be burned, as i presume in your view it's not offensive, and long gone, yes?
              So what about the Islam and the prophet?
              Long gone, so would you go on record and say yep go for it?

              Comment


              • #97
                Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post

                Agree with this.... most of the time it is easy to spot humour rather than something a bit darker.....
                But it all gets lumped in that it is or might be offensive, there is too much offence taken in this day and age.
                Ok here's one for you, eating jerk chicken (is that what it's called?)
                Dawn Butler says that's offensive if whites eat it as its something called race appropriation?
                So people don't eat that to be funny, but because they are hungry, so in your book that's intent?

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

                  But it all gets lumped in that it is or might be offensive, there is too much offence taken in this day and age.
                  Ok here's one for you, eating jerk chicken (is that what it's called?)
                  Dawn Butler says that's offensive if whites eat it as its something called race appropriation?
                  So people don't eat that to be funny, but because they are hungry, so in your book that's intent?
                  I believe the original complaint was that Jamie Oliver named one of his microwave dinners 'jerk rice' without actually having the required ingredients included... pretty simple requirement for jerk cooking as far as I can see..... I'm pretty sure Dawn Butler wasn't suggesting that it is offensive for 'whites' to eat it.... I imagine the only offence caused would be to your tastebuds....

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

                    Ok see now here is the hole in your argument. You're happy that the pope of the time of the
                    gunpowder plot can be burned, as i presume in your view it's not offensive, and long gone, yes?
                    So what about the Islam and the prophet?
                    Long gone, so would you go on record and say yep go for it?
                    Hmmm.....

                    Although I am not making a direct comparison - historical, of course, or theoretically - I will say that the relationship between followers of Islam and Mohammed is very similar to the relationship Catholics have with Mary to some extent: Not God but an integral part of their faith and revered. Would I be offended if someone burned an effigy of Mary. Absolutely and I understand why Muslims would be offended by the same happening to Mohammed. Both should be considered religious crimes in my opinion.

                    The difference between the above and the burning of an effigy of Pope Leo XI is that he is not revered by Catholics and most (about 99.99%) wouldn't be able to tell you that he was the Pontiff at the time of the Gunpowder Plot: I certainly had to look on Google. He is an irrelevance to the Catholic faith but plays an important, if not integral, role in the Plot. Therefore the burning of his effigy should't be considered as religious hatred in my opinion.

                    Comment


                    • What OldR is saying and it's pretty much the general consensus nowadays is that if any white person offends a non-white then that is racist but the other way round it's absolutely fine.

                      Thanks in advance.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                        Which side of the argument (below) is the most blinkerdly dangerous here? And why is it (relatively) acceptable to mock one religion but not another? If someone made a 'Life of Muhammad' (for example), why should that be an exception to the rule?




                        Interesting point.

                        Is it desirable that an element of Islam undergoes a period similar to Europe's Enlightenment which subsequently led to us being able to make fun out of Jesus and Christianity? Definitely and I would even argue that it is essential/

                        However, there are still hundreds of millions of Christians around the World who take deep offence to any, what they perceive to be, mocking of their faith and many millions who wouldn't be happy with just a placard protest either as their response. However, apart from the Bible Belt in the US, most of those who would happily resort to violence to defend Christianity's honour are in developing nations with poor educational standards. In Western Europe it is incredibly unlikely.

                        The problem we face with Islam is that those emigrating to the UK from countries such as Sudan, for example, are coming from environments where such hot-headed feelings thrive. The Muslims who have been here for decades are normally, just like Christians, quite relaxed about religion. The other problem is the old adage about no greater zealot than the convert. Although we are not on the cusp of imposed Sharia Law as claimed by Britain First and movements of such ilk - why don't these patriots understand how the electoral system in the country they love works? - we do have an increasing amount of converts to Islam.

                        There is, however, a big difference between asking Muslims to adopt our position on religious humour and questioning all aspects of faith, and acting in a manner widely agreed to cause great upset. Should South Park, for example, be able to add a Mohammed character to their show? Absolutely. Should people be allowed to show him, or any religious figure regardless of the faith which worships/revers them, in a super-imposed pornographic picture for a 'joke'? In my opinion, no.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
                          What OldR is saying and it's pretty much the general consensus nowadays is that if any white person offends a non-white then that is racist but the other way round it's absolutely fine.

                          Thanks in advance.
                          I'm White, would be offended by the burning of an effigy of the Virgin Mary and would sign petitions to get the perpetrators arrested and prosecuted.

                          Also, I even said that the decision to prosecute the burner of the poppy - despite the fact that it is a secular symbol - was correct and the fine too low.

                          Racism and acts of blatanty attacking a religion to offend en-masse should be crimes regardless of the perpetrators or 'victims' race or religion. Only an idiot thinks otherwise.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

                            But it all gets lumped in that it is or might be offensive, there is too much offence taken in this day and age.
                            Ok here's one for you, eating jerk chicken (is that what it's called?)
                            Dawn Butler says that's offensive if whites eat it as its something called race appropriation?
                            So people don't eat that to be funny, but because they are hungry, so in your book that's intent?
                            except she didn't say that

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by OldR View Post
                              Is it desirable that an element of Islam undergoes a period similar to Europe's Enlightenment which subsequently led to us being able to make fun out of Jesus and Christianity? Definitely and I would even argue that it is essential
                              But is it really reasonable for western largely secular societies to have to wait until Islam has undergone its own reformation (which is unlikely to even occur in our lifetimes, if ever at all), before it's permitted to satirise and reveal its shortcomings by way of the arts? Yes, Islamic 'blasphemy' (however subjectively that may be defined) is a criminal offence in Pakistan, Saudi Arabia etc, but is not in the the UK, Europe, North America etc last time I checked.

                              And what of the concept of integration and assimilation into a culture and society that has been good enough to offer these people safe haven, asylum, employment and a new life.....into a culture in which religious satire is woven into its very fabric?

                              IMO
                              YMMV
                              LOL

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by OldR View Post

                                I'm White, would be offended by the burning of an effigy of the Virgin Mary and would sign petitions to get the perpetrators arrested and prosecuted.

                                Also, I even said that the decision to prosecute the burner of the poppy - despite the fact that it is a secular symbol - was correct and the fine too low.

                                Racism and acts of blatanty attacking a religion to offend en-masse should be crimes regardless of the perpetrators or 'victims' race or religion. Only an idiot thinks otherwise.
                                Guess I'm an idiot then

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X