Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of the football winger

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-of-the-winger

Just Google the title of this thread to see the articles on it!

Good article, and very true. Be interested to hear the likes of Rangers77 and hal9thou's take on it. I often think this is why so many managers no longer employ wingers.

Also, it's much more of a possession based game nowadays. So the winger role is counter-intuitive to that system too because, as the winger's main role is to supply crosses from the byline or wide areas, there's still a 50% chance (or less) that possession will be lost, even if you have a tall striker.

Comment

pretty much every position in football is dead by pre 2000s standards tbh. cbs are more like midfielders in their abilities now, even strikers are more like attacking midfielders. players are expected to do much more than they were 20+ years ago when their roles were more rigid and longballs or crosses played more of a bigger role than they do today

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
        pretty much every position in football is dead by pre 2000s standards tbh. cbs are more like midfielders in their abilities now, even strikers are more like attacking midfielders. players are expected to do much more than they were 20+ years ago when their roles were more rigid and longballs or crosses played more of a bigger role than they do today

It`s no wonder the games becoming a borefest....I much prefer football in the old days...so much more flair players around then and in most teams...Whereas nowadays the big clubs have ate up any of the flair players...Such a shame

that monies ruinned the game....The game shoud all be about wingers and striking partnerships.......Too many borefest games and too many managers scared of losing their jobs....hence boring settups simular to mclarens way of

thinking......It`s killing the game in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
          Good article, and very true. Be interested to hear the likes of Rangers77 and hal9thou's take on it. I often think this is why so many managers no longer employ wingers.

Also, it's much more of a possession based game nowadays. So the winger role is counter-intuitive to that system too because, as the winger's main role is to supply crosses from the byline or wide areas, there's still a 50% chance (or less) that possession will be lost, even if you have a tall striker.
          Indeed. And I seem to member one manager saying the very same, thst crosses very rarely lead to goals due to the strength of CBs these days. Also, remember that the current size of the goal was decided when the average height of an man was 5'7. Most goalkeepers today are around 6'4.

To have a more expansive game perhaps we should increase the size of the goals

Comment

Not sure why our way of playing have to be possession based? In all honesty, I feel that players like i.e. Freeman and Eze are actually at their best when they releases the ball early and passes it to players Like BOS(?) and Wzolek. Playing it this way will create much needed space in a physical league like ours. Just my opinion.
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Indeed. And I seem to member one manager saying the very same, thst crosses very rarely lead to goals due to the strength of CBs these days. Also, remember that the current size of the goal was decided when the average height of an man was 5'7. Most goalkeepers today are around 6'4.

To have a more expansive game perhaps we should increase the size of the goals
              If the winger squares it properly, the CB will not reach it. He has to concentrate on the striker(s).
              QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Wingbacks. We should play wingbacks!

Comment

[QUOTE=acricketer;n2488175]Wingbacks. We should play wingbacks![/QjUOTE]

just a shame we dont have the players with the legs to play that system.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Indeed. And I seem to member one manager saying the very same, thst crosses very rarely lead to goals due to the strength of CBs these days.
                    Probably true for the prem but plenty of dodgy error prone centre halves in this lge.

Comment

was watching tv the other day , with focus on brian cloughs forest ... john robertson different gear on the wing

Comment

Working...
                      X