Our squad is better than last season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our squad is better than last season

I think we have a better team/squad than last season.

The striker duo is certainly much better. Whether you compare with Washington/Mackie that played at this time last season or Smith/Sylla, Wells/Hemed is so much better. We had half a season with Eze last year. Now we will most likely have him for the entire season.

The midfield is strengthened by Cameron and the return of an injury free Cousin. Admittedly, Manning is missing, but on balance we have strengthened.

Defensively we have lost Robinson, Perch and Onuoha, but added Leinstner and Rangel and expect to get Hall back at some time. Cameron can play CB if necessary. Lynch has had an injury free pre-season and has shown that he is more than capable. On balance, we are not weakened, possibly more or less same defensive quality as last season, and some will actually argue we are slightly better.

The only area where we have weakened is the goal keeper post. But Lumley is certainly not a huge step down, as some of us feared. He has let in just 2 goals in 5 matches, and looks fairly solid.

We have added important experience to our squad. All our promising youngsters are one year older. Hardly any of them were ready for the Championship at the start of last season, but quite a few of them are now (Eze, Smyth, BOS, Lumley, Furlong, Kakay).

On balance, I think most will conclude we have a better team/squad than last season.

So why don't we expect to do better than last season, when we finished 16th, 15 points clear of relegation, if the team/squad is better? With the improvements we have added, we should look at a finish around mid table. However, I think most of us expect a relegation fight and would take 16th in a split second if offered today. It is strange, isn't it?
    Last edited by QPROslo; 24-09-2018, 09:13 AM.

Because the Championship gets tougher every year. Decent clubs with Prem set-ups come down and teams on the up with momentum get promoted. It's a tough one keeping ahead of the game in the Championship and if we accept all your points we've done nothing more, in reality, than stand still.

Comment

Simple but such an accurate response

Comment

Defence and goalie are weaker.
        Midfield the same
        strikers better

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
          Because the Championship gets tougher every year. Decent clubs with Prem set-ups come down and teams on the up with momentum get promoted. It's a tough one keeping ahead of the game in the Championship and if we accept all your points we've done nothing more, in reality, than stand still.
          Not sure surprisingly this season Al after nine games to me this season to me seems to have more teams not performing as expected favourites Stoke not at the races Swans ok WBA looking good Mwall a shadow of last season , no the way
          ​​​​​I see it there's a golden opertunity for any half decent side to reach the p/offs as a minimum tho I have to say I don't expect us to much better than last season

Comment

Originally posted by QPROslo View Post
            So why don't we expect to do better than last season, when we finished 16th, 15 points clear of relegation, if the team/squad is better? With the improvements we have added, we should look at a finish around mid table. However, I think most of us expect a relegation fight and would take 16th in a split second if offered today. It is strange, isn't it?
            Personally I think setting the bar lower is a way for fans to manage their expectation levels (and avoid disappointment if it goes badly). Secretly many are quietly confident that we'll do better this season, but don't want to say it publicly for fear of jinxing it or appearing as over-confident.

Last edited by Stanley; 25-09-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

We could be talking like Accrington Stanley supporters in a couple of years!

Comment

Working...
              X