Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bushkangaroo
    replied
    Great times, at least until the last week...remember getting on a Football Special at Wembley Central (I'm pretty sure it was Wembley) for the fateful game at Norwich. Train packed with several hundred R's. We had fantastic support that day.

Leave a comment:

• dave58
    replied
    The Greatest team I've ever seen didn't need a plan B they were just too good for most opponents most of the time, all round an outstanding team some of the players were just, well hard to describe Mick Leach played the first game of the season V Liverpool and scored a great diving header, I then think he was sub for 38 games out of the 42 played in Gerry Francis we had the most complete midfielder in the country, and wit Bowles, Thomas & the Don a tremendous attacking force and shed loads of experience in the rest of the team especially at the back, don't think we'll ever relive those days again, not the way football is now and what money does, Gordon Jago built that team and Dave Sexton took it a little bit further, managers don't or get time to build teams now,

Leave a comment:

• cross it Dave
    replied
    Didn't we create some sort of record by beating 4 Europan league champions in a month, 3 in a pre season tournament and then Derby County 5-1 in the league.
    Last edited by cross it Dave; 28-08-2018, 08:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cross it Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

True, it was a much smaller squad game then. The team played a 4-3-3 and was largely unchanged, I think Mick Leach was a regular sub.

Parkes
    Clement Webb McLintock Gillard
    Hollins Masson Francis
    Bowles Givens Thomas

No tinkering around needed.
    Yes, Mick Leach was normally the sub, he was the orignal super sub, 61 goals in 300 odd games
    Last edited by cross it Dave; 28-08-2018, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• acricketer
    replied
    I never ever enjoyed a season as much since. A joy to watch. The best team never to win the league.

Leave a comment:

• Jeffqpr
    replied
    Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
    That was the best team the R's ever assembled. Pity they did not win any silver as they really deserved something for the quality they possessed. Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Maclintock, Webb, Thomas, Francis, Bowles, Masson and Givens. And as already stated, Leach was always coming on as a sub. I remember listening on the BBC radio back then for the commentary of the Liverpool/Wolves game. Wolves scored first and were hoping they could hang on to it. The rest is just history.
    Yes I listened to it Martin & thought we had it, I heard I think it was tosack & said he had no sympathy for us as we had our chances, ###### & oh that Norwich match!

Leave a comment:

• Martinmalta
    replied
    That was the best team the R's ever assembled. Pity they did not win any silver as they really deserved something for the quality they possessed. Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Maclintock, Webb, Thomas, Francis, Bowles, Masson and Givens. And as already stated, Leach was always coming on as a sub. I remember listening on the BBC radio back then for the commentary of the Liverpool/Wolves game. Wolves scored first and were hoping they could hang on to it. The rest is just history.

Leave a comment:

• hal9thou
    replied
    They were way ahead of their time. Way ahead. Not just from our point of view either. Everyone else loved us then.

Leave a comment:

• CroydonCaptainJack
    replied
    Yes Mick Leach was the regular sub.

Leave a comment:

• stanistheman
    replied
    Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
    Incredible when you think about it Jack. One sub, players like "Chopper" Harris, "Bite yer legs" Hunter, Tommy Smith, all
    would rather kick the player than the ball, yet players stayed on after crunching tackles.
    Terrible pitches, the molly coddled little darlings can't even play in snow or rain these days.
    Sure I remember Rangers playing two games in two days........
    Very true. I love watching Big Match Revisited on BT Sports just to watch proper contact football on those muddy and sometimes frozen pitches.

Leave a comment:

• stanistheman
    replied
    Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
    This was my first season of going to Loftus Road aged 11 having supported the Rs since my parents moved us up from Norfolk when I was about seven. What a team that was. From memory we only played with about 13-14 players all season and I think you were only allowed one sub so plan Bs didn't really come into it back then. There were much smaller squads back then.
    True, it was a much smaller squad game then. The team played a 4-3-3 and was largely unchanged, I think Mick Leach was a regular sub.

Parkes
    Clement Webb McLintock Gillard
    Hollins Masson Francis
    Bowles Givens Thomas

No tinkering around needed.

Leave a comment:

• QPRDave
    replied
    Incredible when you think about it Jack. One sub, players like "Chopper" Harris, "Bite yer legs" Hunter, Tommy Smith, all
    would rather kick the player than the ball, yet players stayed on after crunching tackles.
    Terrible pitches, the molly coddled little darlings can't even play in snow or rain these days.
    Sure I remember Rangers playing two games in two days........

Leave a comment:

• CroydonCaptainJack
    replied
    This was my first season of going to Loftus Road aged 11 having supported the Rs since my parents moved us up from Norfolk when I was about seven. What a team that was. From memory we only played with about 13-14 players all season and I think you were only allowed one sub so plan Bs didn't really come into it back then. There were much smaller squads back then.

Leave a comment:

• Kit
    replied
    Originally posted by wortonranger View Post

Maybe one potential one but was irrelevant. Don’t think we had any significant injury issues. Not sure how good our reserves would have been. Team seemed to pick itself every Week.
    To be fair we beat Derby away 5-1 with Ron Abbott and Tony Tagg at Centre Back pairing as Mclintock and Webb were injured, so they did their job when called upon too. So much swagger to the way we played it was incredible and such a joy to watch. Really think I got lucky starting to watch the Rs in 1972.

Leave a comment:

• wortonranger
    replied
    Originally posted by Shania View Post

No weak links?
    Maybe one potential one but was irrelevant. Don’t think we had any significant injury issues. Not sure how good our reserves would have been. Team seemed to pick itself every Week.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X