No announcement yet.

Our 75/76 team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was the best team the R's ever assembled. Pity they did not win any silver as they really deserved something for the quality they possessed. Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Maclintock, Webb, Thomas, Francis, Bowles, Masson and Givens. And as already stated, Leach was always coming on as a sub. I remember listening on the BBC radio back then for the commentary of the Liverpool/Wolves game. Wolves scored first and were hoping they could hang on to it. The rest is just history.

Comment

Originally posted by Martinmalta View Post
      That was the best team the R's ever assembled. Pity they did not win any silver as they really deserved something for the quality they possessed. Parkes, Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Maclintock, Webb, Thomas, Francis, Bowles, Masson and Givens. And as already stated, Leach was always coming on as a sub. I remember listening on the BBC radio back then for the commentary of the Liverpool/Wolves game. Wolves scored first and were hoping they could hang on to it. The rest is just history.
      Yes I listened to it Martin & thought we had it, I heard I think it was tosack & said he had no sympathy for us as we had our chances, ###### & oh that Norwich match!

Comment

I never ever enjoyed a season as much since. A joy to watch. The best team never to win the league.

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

True, it was a much smaller squad game then. The team played a 4-3-3 and was largely unchanged, I think Mick Leach was a regular sub.

Parkes
          Clement Webb McLintock Gillard
          Hollins Masson Francis
          Bowles Givens Thomas

No tinkering around needed.
          Yes, Mick Leach was normally the sub, he was the orignal super sub, 61 goals in 300 odd games
          Last edited by cross it Dave; 28-08-2018, 07:31 AM.
          I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

Didn't we create some sort of record by beating 4 Europan league champions in a month, 3 in a pre season tournament and then Derby County 5-1 in the league.
            Last edited by cross it Dave; 28-08-2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

The Greatest team I've ever seen didn't need a plan B they were just too good for most opponents most of the time, all round an outstanding team some of the players were just, well hard to describe Mick Leach played the first game of the season V Liverpool and scored a great diving header, I then think he was sub for 38 games out of the 42 played in Gerry Francis we had the most complete midfielder in the country, and wit Bowles, Thomas & the Don a tremendous attacking force and shed loads of experience in the rest of the team especially at the back, don't think we'll ever relive those days again, not the way football is now and what money does, Gordon Jago built that team and Dave Sexton took it a little bit further, managers don't or get time to build teams now,

Comment

Great times, at least until the last week...remember getting on a Football Special at Wembley Central (I'm pretty sure it was Wembley) for the fateful game at Norwich. Train packed with several hundred R's. We had fantastic support that day.

Comment

Anyone remember how much support we had at Norwich? Seemed like about 10,000??

Comment

So Don Givens was our main striker then? With Bowles behind him in a free role?
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

all you need to know is they were from another planet compared to what we watch today\
                      I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                      This morning's tempest I have to cross
                      I must be guided without a stumble
                      Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
                        all you need to know is they were from another planet compared to what we watch today\
                        That is true, have I saw a few matches telly here in Norway. It was like watching Ajax and Holland under Rinus Michels.
                        QPR
                        Best team in the world
                        Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                          So Don Givens was our main striker then? With Bowles behind him in a free role?
                          sort of. Givens wasn't your typical centre forward, there was no meat on the man for starters. He would play across the line, had the height for knock-ons and had some pace too. Rangers played a unique style and it's difficult to pigeon hole a players role. They were all mavericks in a way
                          I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                          This morning's tempest I have to cross
                          I must be guided without a stumble
                          Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Originally posted by bushkangaroo View Post
                            Anyone remember how much support we had at Norwich? Seemed like about 10,000??
                            A correction to my earlier post, I saw us lose at Norwich as well, I guess the trauma of the day made me forget it.

With regards to support it difficult to say, I was in the corner with thousands of us packed into some shitty wired pen, it was very hot on the day, when we scored it was bedlam and you couldnt tell if there Rangers elsewhere in the ground, but I would be very surprised if there weren’t.

I would say a minimum of 5,000 and possibly a couple of thousand others dotted around Carrow Rd in the seats.

I remember coming out at the final wistle and their scummy fans taking the pi ss, that lasted for about a minute.

The best away support we’ve ever had that I know of, was either Villa Park in 68 when we got promoted or that cup game at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon, both in excess of 15,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post

That is true, have I saw a few matches telly here in Norway. It was like watching Ajax and Holland under Rinus Michels.
                              Yes they were like a Dutch team.
                              The players were all comfortable in their atyle of play and the forward 3 were mobile quick and had the skill to deliver.

Dave58, you are correct that we will not see the like again in the modern game.

Comment

Originally posted by cross it Dave View Post

A correction to my earlier post, I saw us lose at Norwich as well, I guess the trauma of the day made me forget it.

With regards to support it difficult to say, I was in the corner with thousands of us packed into some shitty wired pen, it was very hot on the day, when we scored it was bedlam and you couldnt tell if there Rangers elsewhere in the ground, but I would be very surprised if there weren’t.

I would say a minimum of 5,000 and possibly a couple of thousand others dotted around Carrow Rd in the seats.

I remember coming out at the final wistle and their scummy fans taking the pi ss, that lasted for about a minute.

The best away support we’ve ever had that I know of, was either Villa Park in 68 when we got promoted or that cup game at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon, both in excess of 15,000.
                                We were in the wrong end about 5 of our group and about 6 others they took us out of their end marched around the pitch to the other end it was like a caged pen as someone has stated when Dave Thomas equalised it went into mayhem, but sadly the dream faded on that fateful day, I think the whole history of our club could've changed on that day had we won the league, being a better footballing side, than Liverpool, we may have even gone on to win the European cup? as Liverpool did, our team was definitely good enough, which I feel in turn would've changed our history dramatically

Comment

Working...
                                X