Summer transfer and twitter Loan Window rumour thread 18/19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
    Why would we be looking at Thorne? He's a midfielder and there would only be a need for him if we're about to sell one of our own.
    And then would we need to replace the mf outgoing?

Comment

• Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Well that would make it more bearable Reb, as long as wages are not what they are now or even close to it
      We wouldn't even consider them if they didn't fit in our salary scale. It would just undermine the whole strategy.

Comment

• Mass and Eze aside would argue Thorne would be improvement on midfielders we have

Comment

• Thorne and Martin would represent a plan B in our way of playing imo.
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

• would hope that the so called good work Penrice apparently does in identifying players would come up with something better than these two crocks. Thorne used to be decent but injuries have curtailed his career and Martin has a huge chip on his shoulder.....and is pony with it too.

Comment

• Smith over Martin

Comment

• Thorne if he was fit would be an immense signing and would be a crowd favourite. Young, 6ft plus can keep and pass the ball and puts foot in

fully fit he walks into our side

Comment

• You're thinking of the 2014 player though, the one before injuries, did he play in Rowett's team?

Comment

• Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Well that would make it more bearable Reb, as long as wages are not what they are now or even close to it
                    We aren't quite that poor yet that we can't afford to pay normal chanpionship wages,we got £3 milion for Smithies so some money will be made available to pay for wages on free transfer's, I can't imagine McClaren taking the job if he was told "we have to sell our best players,you won't get anything to spend and we can't even afford to pay the wages on average free transfer's, BUT you are still expected to finish higher than Holloway managed!!""

Comment

• Derby fan here,

I watched a bit of the game earlier via our stream and noticed John Eustace watching on from the sideline. I came on here to see what had been made of it all & there's a few rumblings regarding Martin & Thorne which I'm not entirely surprised at - the reaction from you guys, however, definitely isn't warranted.

Chris Martin is a great player. He's technically our best striker by some distance, miles ahead of the likes of Vydra, Jerome & Nugent. What he obviously lacks, however, is pace & movement. He needs to be played in a certain way in order to get a song out of him. He's certainly no worse than he was under McClaren at Derby, but we've had Rowett trying to get him to chase hopeless punts down the wing and run the channels. It's like asking a cat to bark. It was never going to have an happy ending. I imagine that since then the two loan moves have been made by people who haven't done their homework & it's lead to him being left out in the cold, so to speak.

Under McClaren, I have absolutely no doubts Martin will get back to form & he deserves to. The wages have been brought up, which is obviously a concern, as he'll be on 25-30k a week at Derby. He signed a new deal whilst on loan to Fulham & McClaren was in his second spell at the club. He's a very, very good footballer who you have to accommodate at times. He's also very creative, again, under McClaren, he created the most goal scoring opportunities in the league from open play. He links things up very well.

Thorne, as you may remember, was outstanding when he first came in and injuries & certain managers not knowing how to get the best out of certain players have again left him in the cold. Thorne when he was on song was the best player I've seen in a Derby shirt for many years - there's videos on youtube that will give you an indication of just how influential he was right before you dumped us out of the play-offs at Wembley. We signed him permanently & days later he was out for the season. He then got back up to fitness and did well then had his leg snapped in half by an over enthusiastic Ipswich Town player on the last day of the season, right before we were due to play Hull in the play offs.

In my opinion, these two signings could go anywhere else in the league & be hit and miss based on who they sign for. If they join you guys under McClaren, I'd be very surprised to not see them improve significantly on their most recent campaigns and be two massive additions to your squad. All I'll say is don't look at our players under Rowett, they weren't used as footballers. Martin & Thorne above all else are very good footballers.

Comment

• Originally posted by DerbyFan View Post
                        Derby fan here,

I watched a bit of the game earlier via our stream and noticed John Eustace watching on from the sideline. I came on here to see what had been made of it all & there's a few rumblings regarding Martin & Thorne which I'm not entirely surprised at - the reaction from you guys, however, definitely isn't warranted.

Chris Martin is a great player. He's technically our best striker by some distance, miles ahead of the likes of Vydra, Jerome & Nugent. What he obviously lacks, however, is pace & movement. He needs to be played in a certain way in order to get a song out of him. He's certainly no worse than he was under McClaren at Derby, but we've had Rowett trying to get him to chase hopeless punts down the wing and run the channels. It's like asking a cat to bark. It was never going to have an happy ending. I imagine that since then the two loan moves have been made by people who haven't done their homework & it's lead to him being left out in the cold, so to speak.

Under McClaren, I have absolutely no doubts Martin will get back to form & he deserves to. The wages have been brought up, which is obviously a concern, as he'll be on 25-30k a week at Derby. He signed a new deal whilst on loan to Fulham & McClaren was in his second spell at the club. He's a very, very good footballer who you have to accommodate at times. He's also very creative, again, under McClaren, he created the most goal scoring opportunities in the league from open play. He links things up very well.

Thorne, as you may remember, was outstanding when he first came in and injuries & certain managers not knowing how to get the best out of certain players have again left him in the cold. Thorne when he was on song was the best player I've seen in a Derby shirt for many years - there's videos on youtube that will give you an indication of just how influential he was right before you dumped us out of the play-offs at Wembley. We signed him permanently & days later he was out for the season. He then got back up to fitness and did well then had his leg snapped in half by an over enthusiastic Ipswich Town player on the last day of the season, right before we were due to play Hull in the play offs.

In my opinion, these two signings could go anywhere else in the league & be hit and miss based on who they sign for. If they join you guys under McClaren, I'd be very surprised to not see them improve significantly on their most recent campaigns and be two massive additions to your squad. All I'll say is don't look at our players under Rowett, they weren't used as footballers. Martin & Thorne above all else are very good footballers.
                        Cheers for the insight I just think most of us are a bit pessimistic due to the fact funds are low and with Martins age and Thornes injuries we would rather any money we might have is spent a bit wiser.
                        In Matt Smith we have a decent enough target man who dug us out of a hole quite a few times last season and although he’s not pretty in the eye to watch at times he’s younger and fitter than Martin who would probably want similar money to what he’s on at Derby

Comment

• Good post DerbyFan and take your word on Thorne. I would be over the moon if we got him and he was fit. That’s only question mark for me. Would he be on a free or would fee be expected???

Martin I could take on leave would not cry if he never came but same time not bash one out if he did

Comment

• Darbs read your post again and what you say about Martin is exactly what we have missed last few seasons. We seriously have lacked a creative player and have forwards who really do one thing and they need chances created for them.

Martin based on what yoi say although playing up top brings others into the game and creates for others (Sylla, Smith and Washington don’t do that).

We have now got some young pacey players who with right person holding ball, creating and slipping them in could transform us into a pretty lively side on the attack.

Your comments on Martin have got me thinking now. Knows how to win free kicks and pens too if memory serves me right

Comment

• Don't see the issue with Chris Martin - we don't need another forward who can run at defenders - its the forward who can finish the chances we are lacking. Would say he'd fit the bill perfectly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hove Ranger
                                #### Chris Martin. Never liked Coldplay
                                No, but that is probaly because all their songs sound similar. Chris Martin, the footballer, is certainly not like Coldplay . He is unpredictable and the sort of player we need.
                                QPR
                                Best team in the world
                                Sort of

Comment

Working...
                                X