Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
    Give Freeman a chance under McClaren.

How many on here reckon Schteve could get more out of him than Ollie's inflexible system managed to?
    This is a very good point. Freeman probably hasn't worked with a real top class coach since leaving Arsenal. Perhaps MacClaren can get a bit more out of him than Ollie was able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
      Give Freeman a chance under McClaren.

How many on here reckon Schteve could get more out of him than Ollie's inflexible system managed to?
      Thought Freeman had a lot of freedom under Holloway personally. Got a feeling Freeman will get a lot more goals under McClaren though

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

Got a feeling Freeman will get a lot more goals under McClaren though
        Interesting point. If I remember correctly, one of the criticisms levelled against Freeman was too often going it alone. So would SMac encourage him to be more of a team player or go for goal still?

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Interesting point. If I remember correctly, one of the criticisms levelled against Freeman was too often going it alone. So would SMac encourage him to be more of a team player or go for goal still?
          Just reckon he'll encourage attacking players to have a go more often.

Comment

Just reckon he'll encourage attacking players to have a go more often.
            Sounds like more of the same? Given the talented players we now feel we have coming through, shouldn't identifying team mates in a better position take precedent?

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Sounds like more of the same? Given the talented players we now feel we have coming through, shouldn't identifying team mates in a better position take precedent?
              100% agree. No doubt has some great individual talent, but can be frustrating as hell at times.
              Minds Are Like Parachutes.
              Work Best When Open...
              @Nowt2SeeHere

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

Same as that mate, all fart and no sh*t is Freeman. Wouldn't mind getting some cash in for him, placing a bit of trust in Eze and Smyth to fill his boots, and reinvesting the money in a centre half or 2. A loan deal for him is a non-starter though!
                Strange way to describe our most effective outfield player last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubble View Post

Agree. We aren't going to easily replace him with anyone better in any event.
                  "I don't read the papers, I don't gamble, I don't even know what day it is." - Steve McClaren.

Comment

Depends on how you interpret things doesn't it Hubs?!!

For me, 5 goals & 12 assists in 45 games (43 starts) isn't that great a return for a creative player that is often used in the number 10 role, and takes almost all of our set pieces. You could compare him to Matt Smith, who in 41 games (24 of those as a sub), scored 11 and made 9 assists. On those figures you'd have to say that Smith is a far more effective outfield player.

My gripe with Freeman is that he isn't as effective as he should be. His corners for starters are atrocious. The majority of them don't even beat the first man, which is criminal at this level. Secondly, his distribution is poor. He doesn't seem to understand when is the appropriate time to release the ball, and often favours a trick or a long shot at goal when there was a better (and usually far easier) option on. My biggest gripe is that I don't think he plays for the team, he looks like a really selfish player to me.

Of course I can appreciate that he has bundles of talent, but I really don't think he's as good for the team as some on here rate that he is. But as I said above, perhaps the negative sides to his game can improve with decent coaching. There is no doubt the ability is there!
                    Last edited by Tarbie; 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM.

Comment

3rd highest assists in the Championship last season Tarbs. Not bad for all fart and no sh*t!

Can't believe how much you underrate him (apparently), so much so you wouldn't be bothered if he left. And I'll see your 'selfish' and raise you 'ambitious' - he always wants to make something happen. Sure, he's over-elaborated too often, but that can be trained out of him.

Comment

Agree with Tarbs

his stats look very good but they should be so much better given most things go through him and how greedy he is. I like him but he’s not as good as some like to think

how many assists were from set pieces, not that it matters, compared to him opening up defences???
                        Last edited by West Acton; 11-06-2018, 03:24 PM.

Comment

3rd highest assists in the Championship last season Tarbs. Not bad for all fart and no sh*t!

Can't believe how much you underrate him (apparently), so much so you wouldn't be bothered if he left. And I'll see your 'selfish' and raise you 'ambitious' - he always wants to make something happen. Sure, he's over-elaborated too often, but that can be trained out of him.
                          Is 12 assists in 43 starts that great though Hubs? Considering everything goes through him and he takes every corner, I'd say an assist every 350 minutes is actually a pretty poor return, regardless of where he sits in Championship standings for assists.

Totally agree that it could be coached out of him, hopefully that's something we see next season if he is still here.

I stand by what I said, in that I don't feel he'd be anything like the loss that some on here are making out if he does go. I'd far sooner he went than Luongo for example. I'd also be more upset if Smyth or Eze went, as I think both have the potential to be far better player than Freeman is at present.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

Is 12 assists in 43 starts that great though Hubs? Considering everything goes through him and he takes every corner.
                            Would love to see the number of chances creasted as if Freeman had someone other than Washington or Mackie to aim for (most of the season), those stats would be higher.

Comment

Would love to see the number of chances creasted as if Freeman had someone other than Washington or Mackie to aim for (most of the season), those stats would be higher.
                              This too is a valid point. And perhaps even somewhat of a justification as to why Freeman doesn't like to pass the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
                                I like his style. JN
                                Cheers. JN

Comment

Working...
                                X