FFP sorted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news...udi-super-cup/

i think we're fine actually, the ticket prices for this game are insane. we'll pay off our ffp fine and aston villa's with one game.

Comment

• Originally posted by acricketer View Post

It basically tells smaller clubs to stay in their box and forget the bigtime. It is a restriction on competition, frowned upon in wider business circles.
      On the contrary, it protects small clubs - at least in spirit - by making it less enticing for money men to take over a club, make it reliant on that money and risk going out of business when the owner pulls their money out.

People love a fairy tale and if we won promotion playing good football with a mostly home grown squad we would be cherished and adored by all and sundry. What we did is sell our souls to men who could have seen our club die. They are not heroes or a blueprint for building a successful football cub but charlatans who could have taken our club down with their financial mismanagement: did it not register with you that our crowds hadn't substantially increased but suddenly our record signing had gone from being Mike Sheron to someone 5 times his cost?

Finally, and this is what people are struggling to understand, the Football League is a private members club and as long as they don't stray into rules that contravene employment law they can set whatever rules they want for the members. There's a reason why our appeal was laughed at.

Comment

• Originally posted by corbray View Post
        https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news...udi-super-cup/

i think we're fine actually, the ticket prices for this game are insane. we'll pay off our ffp fine and aston villa's with one game.
        It got just over 8,000 in 2015 when they were charging normal prices...

Comment

• Originally posted by OldR View Post

On the contrary, it protects small clubs - at least in spirit - by making it less enticing for money men to take over a club, make it reliant on that money and risk going out of business when the owner pulls their money out.

People love a fairy tale and if we won promotion playing good football with a mostly home grown squad we would be cherished and adored by all and sundry. What we did is sell our souls to men who could have seen our club die. They are not heroes or a blueprint for building a successful football cub but charlatans who could have taken our club down with their financial mismanagement: did it not register with you that our crowds hadn't substantially increased but suddenly our record signing had gone from being Mike Sheron to someone 5 times his cost?

Finally, and this is what people are struggling to understand, the Football League is a private members club and as long as they don't stray into rules that contravene employment law they can set whatever rules they want for the members. There's a reason why our appeal was laughed at.
          And that is the inconvenient truth of the matter. It's not the popular view, nor what many R's fans (who, by definition, will not always be objective) will wish to hear.

OTOH, this ruling does now set a precedent for other clubs (with rich owners) to deliberately break FFP rules, get fined, only to then also end up paying it off over 10 years, because that may still end up proving more cost effective if it gets them to the promised land quicker than it would by keeping within the rules.

Comment

• Bang Cricks, my thoughts too....Bang cricks??? dunno wtf i'm doing there.
            Mean't bang ON
            Last edited by QPRDave; 28-07-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Wise words. FFP always seems to be a poor man's Capital Adequacy to me, and we all want our Financial Institutions to be secure.

Comment

Not sure I buy that mate.

Had FFP had come in a decade earlier, Man City wouldn't be the force they are now. Ditto Chelsea if it had came in 15 years earlier.

All it really does for me is cement the current elite teams' place, and makes it very difficult for anyone else to challenge. With the amount of money that is in the game at the highest level these days, I think in the long run FFP will only drive a bigger gulf between the Man Utd's and Real Madrid's of the the world and everyone else.

And if the punishment is to heavily fine clubs that clearly already have financial woes, how does that in anyway protect smaller clubs? If our owners wanted to be d*cks about it, this 20m fine could have put us out of business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

Had FFP had come in a decade earlier, Man City wouldn't be the force they are now. Ditto Chelsea if it had came in 15 years earlier.

All it really does for me is cement the current elite teams' place, and makes it very difficult for anyone else to challenge. With the amount of money that is in the game at the highest level these days, I think in the long run FFP will only drive a bigger gulf between the Man Utd's and Real Madrid's of the the world and everyone else.

And if the punishment is to heavily fine clubs that clearly already have financial woes, how does that in anyway protect smaller clubs? If our owners wanted to be d*cks about it, this 20m fine could have put us out of business.
                  The difference between us and Chelsea /Man City is that regardless of their position when they were purchased, they are historically big teams with significant support: big doesn't mean success but, for example, despite the claims of many of our fans and others, Chelsea have the 4th or 5th highest all time average crowds in English football history and the 80s was an exception to the rule, not the usual.

Therefore they had a safety net. This was increased by the global 'support' they gained after their success. That success of course, also brought significant prize money.

Our rich owners brought us massive debt, relegation (twice) and tried to lie to and deceive the Football League. Big difference.

I don't like cheque book football but it's not a new thing - Sunderland bought success in the Edwardian era - and there has always been a great divide between the haves and have nots with success almost the exclusive realm of the rich.

​​​​​

Comment

The difference between us and Chelsea /Man City is that regardless of their position when they were purchased, they are historically big teams with significant support: big doesn't mean success but, for example, despite the claims of many of our fans and others, Chelsea have the 4th or 5th highest all time average crowds in English football history and the 80s was an exception to the rule, not the usual.

Therefore they had a safety net. This was increased by the global 'support' they gained after their success. That success of course, also brought significant prize money.

Our rich owners brought us massive debt, relegation (twice) and tried to lie to and deceive the Football League. Big difference.

I don't like cheque book football but it's not a new thing - Sunderland bought success in the Edwardian era - and there has always been a great divide between the haves and have nots with success almost the exclusive realm of the rich.

​​​​​
                    Not a fan of clubs buying success either mate. And to an extent, I think our owners probably deserved some of the harsh lessons they've had to take on the chin the last few seasons. They have been very naive.

That said, I still can't accept that FFP in its current guise is the answer.

Comment

It ruins competition and holds backs progress.

Comment

can't argue with that

Comment

​​​​​
                          You must've have been what..........fifteen/sixteen back then?

Comment

• Originally posted by gator View Post
                            Smithies could become our Les Ferdinand if the keepers don't work out, I am figuring one of these guys should be at least adequate but you never know, big risks all round!
                            I can't believe what I've read. Strange comparison and he will never be a prolific goal scorer like Sir les
                            I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Bet Portsmouth wish there had been FFP around before they were almost bankrupted.

for all the Chelsea and Man Utd’s there are many league clubs that have been saddled with debt before the owners ran off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awin View Post

Bet Portsmouth wish there had been FFP around before they were almost bankrupted.

for all the Chelsea and Man Utd’s there are many league clubs that have been saddled with debt before the owners ran off.
                                But how does FFP solve that mate?

It doesn't stop the owners from spending the money in the first place, it just means that the clubs face a fine a couple of seasons afterwards. Portsmouth would actually be in even more sh*te if FFP had existed back then, cos they would have had to pay a fine on top of all the other turmoil they were going through.

I accept there is a problem in football with irresponsible owners, and clubs overspending. But FFP as it is right now is not the answer. A better plan would be to ensure that every club by Football League regulations has to have a competent CFO that will be held personally responsible if clubs were to spend beyond reasonable and affordable limits.

Comment

Working...
                                X