A Kick Up The Rs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

I'm similar mate. I always used to favour physically buying a CD, DVD or Blu-Ray, cos I liked having them all on display. But a couple of international moves later, you realise that they are just clutter that you don't need. They are also subject to being broken, stolen or simply perishing because they are old and have been played/scratched too many times. Much easier to save everything you want to watch or listen to online and access it all digitally.
    My opinion is ,easier .dosn`t mean better . i have a huge Vinyl /CD collection ,have never owned an ipod or anything of that ilk . The fact of actually owning /collecting amazing music .something to pass down to the kids ,something thats " real" somehow resonates with me , the Mrs is the same with books ,but thats a pain in the arris to be fair !
    But ive never had any international moves , ive only lived in the Sutton /Merton /Croydon triangle . so i`m not saying Tarbs is wrong , we`re just different
    Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Originally posted by vespa View Post

My opinion is ,easier .dosn`t mean better . i have a huge Vinyl /CD collection ,have never owned an ipod or anything of that ilk . The fact of actually owning /collecting amazing music .something to pass down to the kids ,something thats " real" somehow resonates with me , the Mrs is the same with books ,but thats a pain in the arris to be fair !
      But ive never had any international moves , ive only lived in the Sutton /Merton /Croydon triangle . so i`m not saying Tarbs is wrong , we`re just different
      Have to totally agree vesps. Internet is wonderful technology but give me other aspects, bluerays-cds-real books etc all day long. I actually really miss going into blockbusters to have a look around. Definitely right with the foreign aspect, I've travelled but I think living in strange and interesting places definitely changes your mind set. I couldn't do it unless it was Canada because the people are right up my street
      I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

[QUOTE=WeAreQPR12;n247449

Have to totally agree vesps. Internet is wonderful technology but give me other aspects, bluerays-cds-real books etc all day long. I actually really miss going into blockbusters to have a look around. Definitely right with the foreign aspect, I've travelled but I think living in strange and interesting places definitely changes your mind set. I couldn't do it unless it was Canada because the people are right up my street[/QUOTE]

Good to have you back Weare ,
        Does Tarbs mean, international moves broadens your outlook ,like your saying ? Cos i took it it to mean ,the physical act of transporting your cd/dvd/vinyl collection to foreign countries messes them up ? Cos just moving from Mitcham to Hackbridge ( about half a mile ) seemed to fuc k my vinyl badly !
        Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

Good to have you back Weare ,
          Does Tarbs mean, international moves broadens your outlook ,like your saying ? Cos i took it it to mean ,the physical act of transporting your cd/dvd/vinyl collection to foreign countries messes them up ? Cos just moving from Mitcham to Hackbridge ( about half a mile ) seemed to fuc k my vinyl badly !
          Totally right mate.

My point was more that things tend to get broken, lost or stolen along the way if you move around a bit. On my move from Dubai to Johannesburg a few years back, SA Customs were kind enough to steal a lot of my stuff. I also had a lot of my DVD's warp/perish in the Middle East heat whilst sat in a container. I was really annoyed at first, but I soon realised that all of the DVD's that I no longer had were available in HD on either Netflix or Showmax.

Whilst I understand the appeal of a record or CD collection, I think we will be the last generation to appreciate this. I think most people under 30 these days prefer to stream or download content, rather than actually buy it in physical form.

Comment

That is a great post mate.
            I too have a massive Vinyl/CD collection but I am also a fan of digital music in terms of its portability. I lived in HK for a few years back in the 90s and that was the signal to pack all my Vinyl up and whilst there I started picking up CDs of the very same albums I had put in my loft at home in England. Although you could skip tracks more easily I liked the fact that a CD was a mini version of the album. The trouble with digital is that instead of listening to albums as a whole piece of work the kids just skip past the tracks they don't like. How many times over the years have you listened to an album and the tracks you didn't originally like become your favourites, just through repeat listening. Some of the youngsters will never get to that point and are missing out.
            Interestingly, a year or two back I got out all my vinyl and have been playing it a lot and my two boys (21 and 18) think it is great. I think one of the benefits of the modern technology is the kids are much more aware of the music from previous generations. We didn't really have that as we were only interested in the music of the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

That is a great post mate.
              I too have a massive Vinyl/CD collection but I am also a fan of digital music in terms of its portability. I lived in HK for a few years back in the 90s and that was the signal to pack all my Vinyl up and whilst there I started picking up CDs of the very same albums I had put in my loft at home in England. Although you could skip tracks more easily I liked the fact that a CD was a mini version of the album. The trouble with digital is that instead of listening to albums as a whole piece of work the kids just skip past the tracks they don't like. How many times over the years have you listened to an album and the tracks you didn't originally like become your favourites, just through repeat listening. Some of the youngsters will never get to that point and are missing out.
              Interestingly, a year or two back I got out all my vinyl and have been playing it a lot and my two boys (21 and 18) think it is great. I think one of the benefits of the modern technology is the kids are much more aware of the music from previous generations. We didn't really have that as we were only interested in the music of the moment.
              As a massive Floyd fan the idea of 'selecting tracks' on an album is completely alien!

No, all jokes aside, an album is meant to be listened to in its entirety and although there may be tracks that you don't like, the artist/band has created something as a whole. Also, there are, as you say, some tracks that I hated but grew to love, especially on Bowie's Berlin trilogy, for example.

I would love to have a larger vinyl collection, but space constraints renders it impossible. However, I use Spotify as I did the vinyl/CD lending service in the library - that's going back a few years! - a chance to listen to a band I may not have done so before or further explore the back catalogues of artists/bands I only know a little bit about.

I'm not that old (My user name stands for 'older' rather than 'old') but i really do struggle to understand kids sometimes!

Comment

Working...
              X