Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Kick Up The Rs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by OldR View Post

    Books seem to be bucking the trend. Sales of e-books via platforms such as Kindle decreased by around 10% last year with industry insiders - according to Newsnight - admitting that they don't know if e-books will prove to be as popular as they thought they were going to be.

    Other publications, however, will go digital only within a decade.
    Interesting, I didn't know that about books. I still strikes me as quite a dated concept to be buying and storing bulky content in paper form when the technology exists to store it all on the cloud and access it digitally. But perhaps there is just something nice about picking up a book?
    Co-Founder of the Dubai R's
    Follow me on Twitter @Tarbie82

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

      Interesting, I didn't know that about books. I still strikes me as quite a dated concept to be buying and storing bulky content in paper form when the technology exists to store it all on the cloud and access it digitally. But perhaps there is just something nice about picking up a book?
      I think that the attraction of a book is firstly you can see your progress when you put in a bookmark which creates a little bit of satisfaction and, secondly, people like to see them on bookshelves. Also, Mrs OldR and I aren't alone being happy to wander through the bookshops on Charing Cross Road and the stalls under Waterloo Bridge just looking through old books regardless of whether we end up purchasing or not.

      Also, they serve a different purpose from other printed material including newspapers. Books are - whether fiction or non-fiction - about taking you 'away' over a number of hours, days and sometimes weeks whilst newspapers and magazines are about informing. The latter is easier via digital platforms in the age of the smart phone.
      Last edited by OldR; 23-07-2018, 09:32 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by OldR View Post

        Books seem to be bucking the trend. Sales of e-books via platforms such as Kindle decreased by around 10% last year with industry insiders - according to Newsnight - admitting that they don't know if e-books will prove to be as popular as they thought they were going to be.

        Other publications, however, will go digital only within a decade.
        Yes, I heard the very same thing a month or two back. I work for a ceramic tile distributor and retailer and the building we recently moved into was vacated by a massive print company that no longer required it because they did a lot of their physical printing here. However one of their employees told me they were seeing an increase in physical book related sales in recent months and a decrease in digital. No-one can deny the benefits of digital media and the fact that you can take what would have been massive novels on holiday, on the train etc now on your tablet or even phone. I think that is brilliant. However, there does seem to be a watering down of quality associated with this when it comes to newspapers and periodicals etc

        Comment


        • #19
          I'm in my thirties and have never owned a kindle or bought an ebook but maybe I'm just an oddball Have a huge vinyl collection too and rarely bought digital music.
          "When you look annoyed all the time, people think you're busy"

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
            I'm in my thirties and have never owned a kindle or bought an ebook but maybe I'm just an oddball Have a huge vinyl collection too and rarely bought digital music.
            Have been converted to Spotify - brilliant for discovering new acts - but love visiting record shops to add to my vinyl collection. Often head over to Notting Hill after a home match to visit the cluster of record shops and to annoy Mrs OldR with Floyd purchases!

            Comment


            • #21
              when I started off in 1972 as a compositor in the print trade I thought I'd a job for life. By 1990 I was wondering where I was going to earn a living. Shocking to think the printed word on paper could be obsolete in a few years time
              I must away now, I can no longer tarry
              This morning's tempest I have to cross
              I must be guided without a stumble
              Into the arms I love the most

              Comment


              • #22
                I can't move to reading books on a tablet or similar device. As OldR says, there is something about physically turning pages and marking progress with a bookmark that I miss. The bookmark also gives you an instant idea of how far you have left to the end. On top of that, I have never worried about whether my book has enough charge to see me through my next reading session...
                "Paul Furlong is my vintage Rolls Royce and he cost me nothing. We polish him, look after him, and I have him fine tuned by my mechanics. We take good care of him because we have to drive him every day, not just save him for weddings." - Ian Holloway.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by OldR View Post

                  Have been converted to Spotify - brilliant for discovering new acts - but love visiting record shops to add to my vinyl collection. Often head over to Notting Hill after a home match to visit the cluster of record shops and to annoy Mrs OldR with Floyd purchases!
                  I'm similar mate. I always used to favour physically buying a CD, DVD or Blu-Ray, cos I liked having them all on display. But a couple of international moves later, you realise that they are just clutter that you don't need. They are also subject to being broken, stolen or simply perishing because they are old and have been played/scratched too many times. Much easier to save everything you want to watch or listen to online and access it all digitally.
                  Co-Founder of the Dubai R's
                  Follow me on Twitter @Tarbie82

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

                    I'm similar mate. I always used to favour physically buying a CD, DVD or Blu-Ray, cos I liked having them all on display. But a couple of international moves later, you realise that they are just clutter that you don't need. They are also subject to being broken, stolen or simply perishing because they are old and have been played/scratched too many times. Much easier to save everything you want to watch or listen to online and access it all digitally.
                    I'm still feeling amazed that I can hear a song on a podcast /radio and download it, or an album, within seconds.

                    As you said with CDs it's the space that causes problems and after my 'divorce' and when I downsized they were mostly put into charity shops.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by OldR View Post
                      I sympathise with the AKUTRs team because it was an important part of going to Rangers in the late 80s and Early 90s and I never failed to buy a copy.

                      However, although there is a niche market they are fighting a losing battle because the mouthpiece offered to fans via the fanzines has now been replicated by the online forums.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Why don't they consider an online, digital version to ensure the magazine stays alive - something a number of independent publications have now done such as the wonderful Soccer History Magazine - and will significantly reduce the purchase price for fans?

                      5 is too much for a copy of AKUTRS - they must know this - and sales figures must be exceptionally poor. Get an online version similar to these guys and you'll increase sales whilst substantially reducing overheads.

                      https://www.soccer-history.co.uk/
                      Totally agree.

                      It's got to be online or bust.

                      I used to buy it and write in my comments but now post these on forums. I don't buy it anymore because at 5 it is too costly given that similar content is posted online nowadays.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Read it is five pounds a few times now but its four pounds right?
                        ​​​
                        "When you look annoyed all the time, people think you're busy"

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                          Read it is five pounds a few times now but its four pounds right?
                          ​​​
                          No, it's going up to 5 from this season.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by OldR View Post

                            No, it's going up to 5 from this season.
                            I didn't know that. Maybe it is better becoming a fanzine that looks back then and have a bulky issue quarterly or 4 in the season. I know that changes how it should be but too hard to stay up to date otherwise.
                            ​​​​
                            "When you look annoyed all the time, people think you're busy"

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post

                              I didn't know that. Maybe it is better becoming a fanzine that looks back then and have a bulky issue quarterly or 4 in the season. I know that changes how it should be but too hard to stay up to date otherwise.
                              ​​​​
                              I would love to see Dave develop the magazine so it is something like Ex-Hammers (www.ex-hammers.com/homepage) or Backpass (www.backpassmagazine.co.uk/).

                              Would happily subscribe to the above and send a few articles in too.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post

                                I didn't know that. Maybe it is better becoming a fanzine that looks back then and have a bulky issue quarterly or 4 in the season. I know that changes how it should be but too hard to stay up to date otherwise.
                                ​​​​
                                Make you right , bring it out less ,but bigger
                                Id hate to see AKUTRS die ,but a Lady an issue is strong ,i`ll still buy ,for no other reason ,but leaving it on the top of me khazi ,for a daily sit down !
                                Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X