Be more reactive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be more reactive?

I had a look at our starting eleven last season against Reading to what it could be come 4th August against Preston and on face value I don't really see much difference or concerns.

Keep in mind that of the players 'released / sold' at the end of last season, Nedum, Robbo and Smithies are the ONLY players we are saddened or maybe worded better 'concerned' about losing?

- Robbo played in 34 games for QPR last season, some from sub, but in general showed great potential. All agreed he's a huge loss and a void.
    - Nedum played near enough every game for QPR last season, but divided fans massively. Personally a loss for me, still to be replaced.
    - Smithies played nearly every match for QPR last season, stand out performer and a loss for QPR.

To cover this off before my next point, in theory we've replaced Robbo with our new BFG (We cant determine how good he is yet, but its a new CB), Hall is returning (Sure, we dont know if he will remain fit, but Robbo did) and therefore if he's back then he's better than most CBs on his day. Ingram and Lumley are proven to be good enough for this level and I don't feel we need to replace Smithies. (It's just a huge shame / loss personally more than anything).

This means we are on short of Perch and Mackie, both of which made little impact for us for the majority of the season and if anything were either injured or back-ups. Furlong and Eze equal replacements for example.

With this in mind it's more about the depth in squad rather than the quality being different from last year. (As it stands). So if the season was to start tomorrow, we should be more reactive in our comments as we have NO idea how we will be set-up and how well we are going to do for 2018/19 season.

My take:
    - We need another 2 defenders, 1 CB and one utility man who plays across the back.
    - We need more depth in our creativity department, outside of Freeman and Eze. (Although Goss is an unknown quantity for us.
    - We lack goals, massively, Smith for me is our best striker at the club (Smyth is more of a wide man coming inside) and therefore we need another striker.

We are not a million miles off, spending dosh isn't always a winning formula and we now have potentially the right man in charge.

Let's be less proactive suddenly with the 'Nedums experience has gone' because quite frankly not many wanted him in the starting eleven most weeks. Time will tell, its a working progress which I dont see making the top 6 this season but i've seen stories similar with other teams so who knows.

We will sign players, but i'd rather be doing the business we are than spunking dosh on hasbeens and players we cant afford like Villa.

Agreed: As it stands, I think we will struggle massively against Preston.
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
      Preston are a good team in all fairness..

I guess I should add the reason for my post was based on threads around transfers and general worries about relegation given lack of investment to date.

Comment

Thank you mate!

I've been saying the same all summer but clearly it doesn't fit with general doom and gloom that seems to be prominent on this site at the moment.

Personally, when I look at the likes of Eze, Chair, Furlong, Smyth etc. I feel far more confident than I did at this stage last season. And that's before we even consider how big an upgrade MacLaren is over Ollie.

I reckon we're a top half team without a single signing.
        Last edited by Tarbie; 18-07-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post

Preston are a good team in all fairness..

I guess I should add the reason for my post was based on threads around transfers and general worries about relegation given lack of investment to date.
          My worry primarily, is that I think we are a bit leightweight. Bar Leinster and Smith maybe. In that respect, Robert Huth would have been OK. This fact deduces me to the reason why I want Chris Martin (if he is still motivated and fit) I can see him as a part of a plan B against teams like Preston etc. A strong and routined midfielder like Sebastian Larson is also something I would like to add to our squad. Note: He is just an excample. To a certain degree; Chris Martin also. There must be players of his mould out there..of that I am sure..We live in a cruel world, don`t we?
          QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
            Thank you mate!

I've been saying the same all summer but clearly it doesn't fit with general doom and gloom that seems to be prominent on this site at the moment.

Personally, when I look at the likes of Eze, Chair, Firlong, Smyth etc. I feel far more confident than I did at this stage last season. And that's before we even consider how big an upgrade MacLaren is over Ollie.

I reckon we're a top half team without a single signing.
            It is all about opinions. You have yours and that is just fine by me, Tarbie.

QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

With Bidwell, Lynch, Baptiste and Leistner in defence we seriously lack any pace. Only Furlong can turn quicker than the Queen Mary..
              That's my only worry.

Comment

We need to have realistic ambition for next season and not have the usual suspects taking about the plays IF we beat Preston ,the same few will completely forget what happened when we started well last 2 seasons "promotion here we come",holloway will take us there" ect ect . 19th position, I'd take here and here

Comment

With Hall a big injury doubt and Leistner unknown, we could end up with

Ingram

Baptiste Lynch

at the heart of our defence

That's significantly weaker than

Smithies

Ned Robinson

IMO

Think people will realise quickly just how important Smithies and Ned were....plus Robinson was very good last season.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                    With Hall a big injury doubt and Leistner unknown, we could end up with

Ingram

Baptiste Lynch

at the heart of our defence

That's significantly weaker than

Smithies

Ned Robinson

IMO

Think people will realise quickly just how important Smithies and Ned were....plus Robinson was very good last season.
                    As per post, it's easy to give Nedum sh1t all season, then when he goes start giving it the large one on his experience etc. We have to accept and move on now, plus be realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                      Of course we will - it is away from home !

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post
                        Personally think we'll forget about Smithies as quickly as we forgot about all the keepers before him.

Robinson I don't think we'll give a minutes thought to.

Onuha I think we'll regret not doing more to keep a hold of but understand the fact we simply have to cut costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

Of course we will - it is away from home !
                          But, we can still win? We are QPR and "nobody knows the trouble we`ve seen, I think.
                          QPR
                          Best team in the world
                          Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by qpr4life View Post

As per post, it's easy to give Nedum sh1t all season, then when he goes start giving it the large one on his experience etc. We have to accept and move on now, plus be realistic.
                            Fair enough. I never gave him any #### though. Always been consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

Personally think we'll forget about Smithies as quickly as we forgot about all the keepers before him.

Robinson I don't think we'll give a minutes thought to.

Onuha I think we'll regret not doing more to keep a hold of but understand the fact we simply have to cut costs.
                              Personally think Smithies will be the biggest loss. Really not sure on how Robinson will progress. Agree on Ned.

Comment

Working...
                              X