Matt Smith to Millwall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bobbydunc View Post
    So you think then if we would of had Bos on the wing we would of been a top 10 side finishing wise?!
    No. I never said anything like that. I said we never got to find out because he was never given a consistent run as a conventional winger. i.e. never in a 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with the role of getting to the byline and whipping in crosses (getting chalk on his boots as Shearer used to describe it) with the main purpose of supplying crosses to the target man Matt Smith (thus getting the best out of him too i.e more goals), which is what this thread is really about. Therefore all any of us can do is speculate on what MIGHT have been with him last season.

I agree with you about Pawel and Shodipo being even better options, but again Pawel hasn't played as a 'out and out' winger for us since the season before last.

Bottom line - let's just hope McClaren can address all these issues, and I'm personally quite confident he can.
    Last edited by Stanley; 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbydunc View Post

So you think then if we would of had Bos on the wing we would of been a top 10 side finishing wise?! Personally from what i saw he was very simular to mackie with not the best control, i would say looked clumsy & can understand exactly why he hasnt been regularly picked and if he was soo good at taking a man on and whipping a ball in, he would of been picked more regularly, but i take it youve seen something more than the coaching team & holloway saw in training every day.

And i made this point as regards to not using out and out wingers because apart from Pavel we did`nt have anyone shinning enough, but my preferred two to go with would definately be Pavel and olimide, and regards to Bos he only looked a little bit decent upfront in the middle when running at defence, but not on the wing in my opinion.
      i thought he played very well towards the end of the season when he was given some games on the wing, there's defo a player in there that's for sure. he needs to play more regularly though as that's the only way he can develop but i don't really see the mackie comparison, i understand that bos was working hard in the games that he played but that's to be expected from a young player who's trying to break into the team. to me he showed good ball control, he could take the ball round players and has some pace on him. i reckon he has all the potential to be a good championship player and maybe even premier league one day but he needs to be given that chance on the wing first. macca will get the best out of him imo.

Comment

One of the reasons Ollie got the sack in my opinion.
        Playing Washington and Mackie instead of Smith was a completely bizarre decision scored every time he came on vittually
        Great squad member definatly 15 goals per season player....Ollie by not playing 4 4 2 Smith and Wsloek you got the sack mate.
        Hope he's def in the squad next season we will need him.

Comment

Where the hell is Shopido so much promise even as a squad player coming on after 60 minutes.

Another shite desicion

Comment

Smith aint going nowhere , now jog on back to Kent ,and take your flat caps with you
            Rangers,Scooters ,Tunes and Trainers

Comment

We need to keep Smith,our most effective striker

Comment

Matt Smith - 11 goals / 9 assists and should really have got player of the season. No chance of us selling him IMO.

Comment

WE (QPR), have always had great luck with big strikers, the lump up front, the target man. Matty Smith is just another to add to that list, I ruddy larrrrve the guy.

Not only does he offer something different up top for us, but he's goal scoring return is very good as well, given he isn't on pens. Lastly and to bang on about the 'right type', but Matty Smith is a credit to our club and it would be a huuuuuuge shame to lose him.

He's finally settled at a place and playing regular football, last time he had that was probably Oldham, he's racked up nearly as many appearances here as he did there.

Reminder....

- Paul 'Only One' Furlong - Not many rated him for a short while, but looked at how he turned out.
                  - Helguson - Again, not many liked him for ages, but WOW, he was some player for us.
                  - Bobby Z - Enough said.
                  - Matty Smith - Not been bad for us from day 1, would hate to lose him.

A thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

Play him with proper wingers (which we never did under Ollie) then you don't have to play long balls up to him and you could still get 15 goals a season from him. It's always about playing players to their strengths. Furthermore his GPG ratio was still strong even when we never played him with out and out wingers. McClaren I'm confident is astute enough to understand that, and Smith's progress can no longer be stunted under him like it has been over the last couple of seasons.

We should hopefully see other examples of this throughout the squad where players have been incorrectly utilised.
                    This exactly. Having a big man up front doesn't = long ball football. Arsenal had Giroud but didn't play long ball football and he still scored frequently for them.

If QPR had Freeman and Wyzsolek on the wings and putting in crosses to Smith, he would have scored 15-20 last season.

Comment

Did that not ger mentioned a month or so ago?

Comment

It did.

Back in training, so think it's rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
                          It did.

Back in training, so think it's rubbish.
                          Perhaps Matt and his Agent have got mobile phones or that computer thingy?

Comment

Why would he want to go there?

Comment

Not under FFP. Might start every game. Have wingers to provide service. More money than 3 & 4 pence. Fans who appreciate him. More chance of scoring. Somewhere where he's wanted. A(nywhereB(ut)QPR)
                              Last edited by acricketer; 30-06-2018, 02:19 AM.

Comment

He might start more here under new manager, unless he has been told to move on but he is in Portugal with squad

Comment

Working...
                                X