No announcement yet.

Don't get the panicking and doom mongering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good manager ...Good squad...Selling Smithies for 3 million utter turd.

Comment

Good manager and good squad positives then. Would rather have got more for Smithies but no idea what he had put in his last contract plus not as good last season plus we have two young keepers to duke it out. Happy days! Pass me the champers.

Comment

I accepted that Onouha and Robinson had gone and that there wasn't going to be much money to spend and players would be sold etc, but seriously think that selling Smithies for £3M is a poor decision.

Did they even try and haggle with Cardiff to get that fee?

I mean if the club is that hard up that they need to sell their players surely they can demand a bigger fee from Premiership clubs in order to reduce the number of players they will need to sell

Cardiff just paid £10M for Bobby Reid and Lecester £20M for Maddison and QPR get £3.5M for a top Championship keeper

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
          Good keeper but not 15point keeper or at least not last season
          But what about over the past 3 seasons,our most consistent and important player ?

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
            I accepted that Onouha and Robinson had gone and that there wasn't going to be much money to spend and players would be sold etc, but seriously think that selling Smithies for £3M is a poor decision.

Did they even try and haggle with Cardiff to get that fee?

I mean if the club is that hard up that they need to sell their players surely they can demand a bigger fee from Premiership clubs in order to reduce the number of players they will need to sell

Cardiff just paid £10M for Bobby Reid and Lecester £20M for Maddison and QPR get £3.5M for a top Championship keeper
            How can anyone disagree with that??

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel R's View Post

I don“t think anyone disagrees, that the reported size of the fee for Smithies is in the low end of the spectrum given the sums changing hands these days. I just think that some people disagree with the kneejerk reaction tendency here, where people start slating the club without knowing the full story about the paperwork, posiible release clauses etc.

Why assume that the club didn“t get as much as they could in the circumstances?
              https://twitter.com/1qprdk

Comment

But what about over the past 3 seasons,our most consistent and important player ?
                Circumstances have changed and anyway I don't want our most important player to be a goalkeeper.

Comment

I'm sure they got the most they could. Why would they do otherwise. It was probably a release buyout negotiated in his last deal. We don't know the details.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

I'm sure they got the most they could. Why would they do otherwise. It was probably a release buyout negotiated in his last deal. We don't know the details.
                    this. i highly doubt that the club just sold smithies to the first club that bid, i'm sure they're well aware that 3-4m is pretty low for a gk of his quality but smithies must have requested that clause which is understandable from his point tbh. i'm not happy that the fee was so low but it is what it is and i'm sure the club will reveal more about it at the next fans forum.

as it stands though we don't have a terrible squad really, we need 2 cb's and a striker and we'll have a good team. i didn't want ned or robbo to leave but you have to remember that ned got slated a lot by us for being too nervous on the ball, letting it bounce and making more mistakes than anyone else in the championship so he's not that big of a loss imo. sure, he had his good games but he had more bad than good games imo. it could be a blessing in disguise if we sign the right defender to replace him.

we have a great manager now, great attacking players and a ready made replacement for smithies so what's the issue?

let's just hypothesise that we sign players we've been linked with for a just a minute and we could line up as

lumley
                    bidwell elphick pearce furlong
                    scowen luongo
                    freeman eze smyth
                    martin

doesn't that line up look better than any from last season? not to mention that we still have hall, bright, manning, chair, oteh and pavel too to make a claim for the first team so it's not really all doom and gloom. plus mcclaren will do a far better job than ollie did for us, i don't get what all the fuss is over tbh. i'm looking forward to the new season

Comment

Originally posted by 1QPRDK View Post
                      Confirmation bias, in a nutshell. The great 21st century social-media disease, along with identity politics.

Comment

Originally posted by 1QPRDK View Post

Warnock offered 15 million but Les said that was too high and 3 mil was enough but then Uncle came along and said he would settle for some magic beans instead.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

A release clause would be paid in full.

Comment

The only player under the current board that we got top dollar for was Sterling and we never sold him. The board have been a disaster when it comes to transfers, contract or fees so if anyone assumes anything about them it would be based on previous dealings.

Comment

Also, not seen it talked about much but what an awful add-on they've allowed to be included as part of the deal. Gambling half a mil on a poor squad staying up, and managed by Warnock who as much as we love him always seems out of his depth at that level.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post

A release clause would be paid in full.
                                I am talking about a negotiated release clause amount at the time of Smithies signing his newest Contract i.e. the one a year or two back. That is the most likely time that would have been inserted.
                                Once it is in I agree it then has to be paid in full by the buying club.

Comment

Working...
                                X