No announcement yet.

Smithies to Cardif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sends out a message that our players are available on the cheap. Bad business because again they have alienated the supporters. Fabianski went for £7m and is 33 with no sell on value.

Comment

Bad omen for McClaren. "Play with the cr@p you are given and pray to god your coaching skills can appease the fanbase"
      Last edited by acricketer; 25-06-2018, 11:57 PM.

Comment

May have been his release clause. Let's see what we do with that money, if it gets us a 15 goal a season striker then it's a good deal. We're not in a position to buy that striker without selling so what are you going to do? Robbo still not signed for another team and I'm sure he'll stay with us when his deal expires at the end of his week.

Comment

Originally posted by davieqpr View Post
          Sends out a message that our players are available on the cheap. Bad business because again they have alienated the supporters. Fabianski went for £7m and is 33 with no sell on value.
          Over on lfw some posters have absolutely convinced themselves the fee is because of a release clause. Don't see it myself and there's been no mention in any reports of a clause being triggered. We're just crap at selling our main assets.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
            May have been his release clause. Let's see what we do with that money, if it gets us a 15 goal a season striker then it's a good deal. We're not in a position to buy that striker without selling so what are you going to do? Robbo still not signed for another team and I'm sure he'll stay with us when his deal expires at the end of his week.
            £4m doesn't get you much in this day and age.

Robbo looking on and seeing Ned gone, smithies being sold - why on earth would he want to stay? Good opportunity for him to get a decent move.

Comment

If it is because of a release clause then who has set it at 4 milllion? Karl Darlow went to Newcastle 3 or 4 years ago with Laschelles for a combined 9 million fee and his part was set at 4 million and I would have Smithies at a highler level than him. 4 million will not get us a great deal as shown by the bear on 3 million we did on Washington.

Comment

Good back up for Etheridge for us. Etheridge off to the the Asian Cup in January so will get games then. Always good to have 2 keepers going for the number 1 jersey.
                Interesting quote in our local paper for you boys -" Reports from West London suggest QPR are keen to offload a host of first team stars in a bid to get in line with Financial Fair Play Regulations, and the deal could be seen as good value for both clubs "
                That to me doesn't look like a buyout clause in his contract.
                Sure theres good keepers available to replace him for you. Such as Hennessy on a free. Other option was Bialkowski, might mean you may move for him
                Last edited by GarethGardner; 26-06-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                  If it is because of a release clause then who has set it at 4 milllion? Karl Darlow went to Newcastle 3 or 4 years ago with Laschelles for a combined 9 million fee and his part was set at 4 million and I would have Smithies at a highler level than him. 4 million will not get us a great deal as shown by the bear on 3 million we did on Washington.
                  If there is a release clause the club can’t be blamed for that.
                  Smithies and his agent may we’ll have given a take it or leave it stance during negotiations. If we didn’t accept, his contract would have started to run down and he’d have gone for even less.
                  “He'll regret it till his dying day, if ever he lives that long”
                  Will Danaher

Comment

Originally posted by Itsonlyagame View Post

If there is a release clause the club can’t be blamed for that.
                    Smithies and his agent may we’ll have given a take it or leave it stance during negotiations. If we didn’t accept, his contract would have started to run down and he’d have gone for even less.
                    This is the point I'm making mate.

If you join the dots, it was pretty obvious Smithies was gonna go this window. 2 years left on his deal, been linked with moves away consistently for the last 2 or 3 transfer windows, and didn't play in the last 4 or 5 games of last season whilst we assessed our other goalkeeping options. Add onto this the fact that we have 3 keepers who all want to play (and personally I think all look good enough for this level), and the club need a cash injection. It was always going to happen, wasn't it?

It seems a lot of people are unhappy with 4m quid as a fee. I agree, it's a little light, but not as bad a deal as some are suggesting. I'm sure the situation is simply that we told the player he could go if an offer came in from a bigger club this summer, and this is the best offer on the table. Personally I'd be disappointed with the club if they stood in Smithies way after his efforts across the last 3 seasons. He's earned the right to go and play in the Premier League as far I'm concerned.

Comment

But to Cardiff???? Oh well.
                      QPR
                      Best team in the world
                      Sort of

Comment

Club were open and said we need to sell player a season to operate. If it was established prem side in you could get touch more, I think 6mil would be perfect, no way is he 10mil keeper

we rate him at qpr but you ask fans outside of the club and they think he’s average. I will be sad to see him go best keeper I have seen other than seaman

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                          But to Cardiff???? Oh well.
                          They're in the Premier league, can offer more wages and, contrary to the song lyrics, we don't really hate them...

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post

we rate him at qpr but you ask fans outside of the club and they think he’s average.
                            That was the point I was making yesterday. People go on as if he's the best goalkeeper in the division just as they do about Mass being the best midfielder and Eze being the best prospect. It's all opinions and if there isn't a release fee Smithies is only worth what someone is willing to pay for him.

Comment

Club were open and said we need to sell player a season to operate. If it was established prem side in you could get touch more, I think 6mil would be perfect, no way is he 10mil keeper

we rate him at qpr but you ask fans outside of the club and they think he’s average. I will be sad to see him go best keeper I have seen other than seaman
                              Exactly mate.

Comment

Agree with your comments, seems it’s only us that rate him highly. Thought last season was not his best. Looks like he will be second choice at Cardiff, we all knew realistically that we would have to sell someone and the goalkeeping position imo is covered

Comment

Working...
                                X