feelings for IH Vs SM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Wilson View Post

I was the opposite...enthused by his appointment, apprehensive after watching his first interviews.
    Well I am specifically referring to the first one really.

Comment

Was gutted when Ollie appointed. Seemed desperate and non-sensical to appoint someone who hadn't managed to get a management job in 18 months and who hadn't had a good season for a while. His tenure at Millwall a disaster as his last job.

Uncle has said he was bowled over by his enthusiasm and, to an extent, I can see that if you watch his first main interview. You can imagine him coming across well in interview when in front of Uncle. However a hopelessly naïve appointment. Fact we now know if was against advice of Les and Hoos says it all really.

With Steve for me never fully convinced as a number 1. Some highs and lows. However has a great reputation as a coach and feel he could work well at this level in the DoF type system we operate. His experience at all levels and having worked abroad also help. Exactly type of person to help bring our youngsters on. Also at his age has plenty of years to give but his managerial record probably makes him reasonably safe bet as doubt Premiership clubs will be queuing up for him. So overall cautiously optimistic.

Comment

I’m in the minority here but when Ollie came back I was buzzing. I think I’d blocked how it all ended last time and to watch his passion pouring out of that first interview gave me a real sense of optimism. Having said that I think I’d have taken pretty much anyone over hassle#### so to get someone who loved rangers as much as I did was a real positive. I quickly remembered why I couldn’t stand the sight of him first time around though, wild team selections and mental rants coupled with more than one embarrassing result meant it all ended just as it had all those years ago for me. Really starting to grate on me every time he opened his mouth and found him to be quite bitter and narcissistic this time too. All in all I’m delighted he’s gone and even more delighted we’ve bagged a proper manager. Really looking forward to the future now COYRS

Comment

Actually quite liked the idea of Holloway as the club was so far disconnected from the fans that we needed "one of our own" to bring it back to the fans. Was well aware of his limitations and knew we would be mid-table at best. Personally think him being sacked was the right move at the right time.

As for SM, I think this is a masterstroke not only because having him at the club may make some of our better players want to stay. We all know he's a top coach and has had some difficult times as a manager but maybe QPR and SM have met at the right time to be a good fit for both....time will tell but for now, it is an exciting time once more to be a QPR fan.

Comment

I didn`t Initially want Ollie in as our manager at all, but when I heard himself saying that during his time out of football mangement he had thourougly studied the game I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now, when his second tenure with us is over, i`m not sure he learned enough,...
            QPR
            Best team in the world
            Sort of

Comment

one thing that i don't get is how people on talksport and sky are suggesting that macca might not be a good manager. he won the league cup, reached a uefa cup final, finished in the top half, won the dutch league, revived derby and took them to a playoff final. sure he did bad with england, newcastle and wolfsburg but hes done well at most of his other jobs! hes hardly a bad manager imo, i'm over the moon amd still pinching myself that we were able to bring him here!

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                Was gutted when I heard Ollie linked with us and devasted even he got it as everything I feared played out before my eyes

personally quite excited by Macca think he is exactly what we need. Calm, logical, likeable, organised, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the game. Think he will surprise a few
                Ditto.
                McLaren is a respected coach even if he hasn't won a promotion from this division (or perhaps anywhere else).

I am confident that he will get the team playing better football and be a more organised side.

He is also confident about the quality of this squad (as he should be given the players he has at this moment). A few new defensive signings and he could have a top 6 challenging squad.

The attack can score goals playing the right way and the midfield can compete. As he said, they have energy, mobility and can play a bit too.

Comment

I think that Ollie did what was asked, so was disappointed he was sacked. I feel Les should have came out earlier and said that the target was top 10 (or whatever it was) so fans knew that Ollie wasn't achieving all that had been asked. I think that things were improving so I think this is a risky gamble.

Steve is a good manager. I wasn't impressed with his spell at Middlesborough and though the media liked him was shocked when he got the England job. He did well when he was with us for 10 games helping Redknapp, but it is difficult to know how much of that was down to him and how much credit Redknapp deserves (I don't expect many to give HR any credit!). If we had appointed Steve after Jimmy I would have been elated, I am a little sceptical because it feel like a managerial change we didn't need to make (like getting rid of Warnock for Hughes) however, he has my full backing. I think that he is a better manager that IH, but if we start poorly, (lets say we get 10 points or less in the first 10 games) then surely it is Les who has to go, as he has made this decision.

Comment

Originally posted by corbray View Post
                    ollie wasn't my first, second or even third choice for the job but i was optimistic when he came in. i started supporting qpr when he was our manager so i had fond memories of his tenure here and loved his passion and enthusiasm for the job. his initial interviews breathed life into the club again for me after a rather low few years with the likes of redknapp, ramsey and then hasslebaink. at first i was an olliephile and supported him, even through the ups and downs and 6 game losing streaks as there was a lot of work to be done but as time went on i became frustrated with the lack of on field progress, no clear cut game plan or formation and of course his weird interviews and calling out of fans.
                    he really started to peev most people off and it was the right decision to let him go at the end of the season.

right now though for macca i'm far more enthusiastic than i ever was for ollie, i can see us easily finishing in the top 10 and i think macca can not only bring in some quality players but also help to keep some of our stars here. i think its inevitable that smithies will be gone regardless but lumley has potential to step up as our number 1 but i can see us keeping ahold of the likes of freeman and luongo now! macca is an inspiring choice as our new boss and i cannot wait to see who we bring in, what formation we play and how the season pans out!
                    good post , can't wait for the new season to kick off and see how we are . if ollie had still been at the helm i'd have been disappointed

Comment

Originally posted by Southport View Post
                      I think that Ollie did what was asked, so was disappointed he was sacked. I feel Les should have came out earlier and said that the target was top 10 (or whatever it was) so fans knew that Ollie wasn't achieving all that had been asked. I think that things were improving so I think this is a risky gamble.

Steve is a good manager. I wasn't impressed with his spell at Middlesborough and though the media liked him was shocked when he got the England job. He did well when he was with us for 10 games helping Redknapp, but it is difficult to know how much of that was down to him and how much credit Redknapp deserves (I don't expect many to give HR any credit!). If we had appointed Steve after Jimmy I would have been elated, I am a little sceptical because it feel like a managerial change we didn't need to make (like getting rid of Warnock for Hughes) however, he has my full backing. I think that he is a better manager that IH, but if we start poorly, (lets say we get 10 points or less in the first 10 games) then surely it is Les who has to go, as he has made this decision.
                      I wouldn't give HR any credit for that great run of games. It was rumoured that he only turned up in training when the sky cameras were there so there was little input from him. As soon as SM left the performances dropped off. He was obvious who the players wanted to play for.

I'm disappointed that Ollie didn't get a chance at one more transfer wondow, but if SMs appointment comes with some investment and his unquestionable coaching skills then so be it. That's business, I mean football.....

Comment

Working...
                      X