Ollie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glevum_Hoop View Post
    I'm doubtful that he can get more out of the squad than Holloway has.
    Have said this for a long time but for me Holloway was tactically inept away from home. 3rd worst in the division for points away and that is shocking. If the new manager is someone who can understand how to play as an away side then maybe he can get more out of this squad.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post
      Yes, I saw this on facebook yesterday so that is presumably that is you.
      Some very valid points there which concurs with my view that overall Ollie did ok given the circumstances.
      With the usual proviso about baffling team selections and whether he can push us on further though.
      I only cut and pasted it from FB - just thought it was an interesting take on the Ollie situation. Personally, I think Ollie to a "solid" job of steadying the ship and should have been given the opportunity to see out his contract, however as another poster stated "that's football" and the owners have decided to shale the dice again and gamble on McClaren getting more out of the current squad ( hopefully with 2 or 3 additions in the summer). Only time will tell if this approach works but Fernandes hasn't got a good record of getting managerial calls correct so far in his tenure so fingers crossed his luck turns with the McClaren appointment!!!

Gloucester R's - No Sheep Shagging Allowed

Comment

forgot to mention some of our white flag games Brentford A Hull A Bristol city A Forest H&A

Comment

Is that the person whom he worked with at Sky Sports? Doesn't want to see the reason he was sacked was not only his away record but the famous 'Holloway makes 6 changes today.....' Especially after a win.
          The outbursts, to me, showed he was cracking under the strain and it might be better for him in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
            The OP is a real opener in terms of money given to Holloway so based on that alone he did a good job, He could have done a much better job had he played a system that suited the players he had at his disposal. What I do find quite interesting is Holloway not making any comment or statement on his departure? Even just a thank you to the fans as that is something he would normally do.
            I imagine the reason is that he's signed an NDA, so he can't talk about it. That's would be fairly standard if this is a precursor to a take-over, for example. I would also imagine he got a fairly good pay-off.

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
              forgot to mention some of our white flag games Brentford A Hull A Bristol city A Forest H&A
              You can add Leeds at Home, Boro at Home to the White Flag games.

Comment

Maybe there is more to the sacking than just getting rid of him due to results.

Comment

Hopefully we will find this out today by the sounds of it, interesting day it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post

You can add Leeds at Home, Boro at Home to the White Flag games.
                    Surely you are just picking out games we lost there?
                    Our home form was actually good.
                    No mention of Wolves and Cardiff at home the two teams automatically promoted?

Comment

I think this is probably the case yes.

Comment

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

Surely you are just picking out games we lost there?
                        Our home form was actually good.
                        No mention of Wolves and Cardiff at home the two teams automatically promoted?
                        My reply was to what were White Flag games :-)
                        I have in the past acknowledged, Wolves and Villa performances etc and thats what makes it even more frustrating, as we showed we could do it but then the next game, players would be dropped to the bench, which was very frustrating and unnecessary. Cardiff game we got lucky though, they were properly decimated by injuries and Hoilett had a perfectly good goal chalked off too.

Comment

ollie steadied the ship and i think most people understand that, he came in after boring jfh and got our players confident again but can anyone honestly say that he was the right man to take us forward? there was no real progression with results and after 18 months he still didn't know what formation to play or how to best utilize our players.

his record has more lows than highs and whilst he sometimes got things right he got things wrong more often than not and most fans had lost patience with him.
                          the squad we have is actually pretty good but completely unorganized, we won games from hard work rather than skill which is why so many of our wins were by narrow margins. imo steve can take us forward, we have a good backroom that will only get better with the better coaches that steve will bring with him.

Comment

For the 500k spent Ollie improved the transfer value of quite a few of our players, Matt Smith to name one. That said he is not going to improve us more next season with the same tactics and coaching.

Happy the club have made a good decision

Comment

Can see where the Sky guy is coming from but Ollie didn't come into a bad squad. We didn't need to spend loads on complete revamp. Facts are:

1. Away form criminally bad. 11 months without a win at one stage.
                              2. Reliance for two thirds of the season on a formation that to a blind woodlouse we didn't have players for.
                              3. Almost got us relegated from a position of safety the previous season.

As another poster has said that squad of players could and should have done better. We only improved after someone had clearly had a word with him following which said formation abandoned and started playing some youngsters.

Ollie put his heart and soul into it, has made massive contribution to the club both as a player and manager over the years, got players motivated but his second coming has not gone well. I wouldn't have minded him starting next season as manager following recent improvements but think board have got it right and taken brave decision to get someone else in with hopefully a longer term vision for the footballing side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
                                Can see where the Sky guy is coming from but Ollie didn't come into a bad squad. We didn't need to spend loads on complete revamp. Facts are:

1. Away form criminally bad. 11 months without a win at one stage.
                                2. Reliance for two thirds of the season on a formation that to a blind woodlouse we didn't have players for.
                                3. Almost got us relegated from a position of safety the previous season.

As another poster has said that squad of players could and should have done better. We only improved after someone had clearly had a word with him following which said formation abandoned and started playing some youngsters.

Ollie put his heart and soul into it, has made massive contribution to the club both as a player and manager over the years, got players motivated but his second coming has not gone well. I wouldn't have minded him starting next season as manager following recent improvements but think board have got it right and taken brave decision to get someone else in with hopefully a longer term vision for the footballing side of things.
                                I agree with you on all the above except starting with him next season.

The time to change is before pre season starts. This way, the new man has time to plan his pre season trips/matches and perhaps single out any players he might be able to buy. Then when pre seaspn starts he can choose his formation and tactics for the season ahead. Don't forget, the transfer window closes early now so he will have even less time for ins and outs from his squad.

One last point, how often has it been said that it is not good to change manager/head coach mid season?

Comment

Working...
                                X