No announcement yet.

Congratulations Neil Warnock!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very well reasoned Tarbie and something I have thought myself.

A DOF also in theory offers continuity in playing staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

Whether Les is the right man for the DoF role is a totally different argument, and 1 that I'm still on the fence about if I'm honest. He's done very well in some areas, and clearly not so well in others. You can't blame him for Holloway though, Tony has admitted that was his decision and Les and Lee Hoos were both against it from the outset.

Wrong to say the DoF was brought in to appease the fans in my opinion. He was brought in because we were getting out pants pulled down by agents (and 2 managers in my opinion), and the board needed someone to put some systems in place, and to ensure the club didn't continue to trade at such a huge loss.

You ask "what's more important, a good Manager, or a DoF?". The fact is, we would probably be out of business by now if we'd kept spending the way we were before Les came on board, and we've not had a good manager at any point since Warnock left (yet we've survived). So I'd argue the DoF is more important from that perspective. We certainly needed to do something to stop us from hemorrhaging money. Of course I'd like a good Manager (or Head Coach) too, and I live in hope that one day we'll get one again.
      Great post. Knew there was a reason you're Ted's poster of the year
      Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
      Pawel Wszolek - 6
      Luke Freeman - 6
      Matt Smith - 6
      Ebere Eze - 4
      Joel Lynch - 3
      Tomer Hemed - 3
      Toni Leistner - 2
      Massimo Luongo- 2
      Angel Rangel - 2
      Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
      Geoff Cameron - 1
      Aramide Oteh - 1
      Jake Bidwell - 1
      Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Whether Les is the right man for the DoF role is a totally different argument, and 1 that I'm still on the fence about if I'm honest. He's done very well in some areas, and clearly not so well in others. You can't blame him for Holloway though, Tony has admitted that was his decision and Les and Lee Hoos were both against it from the outset.

Wrong to say the DoF was brought in to appease the fans in my opinion. He was brought in because we were getting out pants pulled down by agents (and 2 managers in my opinion), and the board needed someone to put some systems in place, and to ensure the club didn't continue to trade at such a huge loss.

You ask "what's more important, a good Manager, or a DoF?". The fact is, we would probably be out of business by now if we'd kept spending the way we were before Les came on board, and we've not had a good manager at any point since Warnock left (yet we've survived). So I'd argue the DoF is more important from that perspective. We certainly needed to do something to stop us from hemorrhaging money. Of course I'd like a good Manager (or Head Coach) too, and I live in hope that one day we'll get one again.
        Tarbie- you do talk a lot of sense but I’ve got to take issue with a couple of things. Firstly.......why do we need the best centre forward (in my life time anyway) being the one who “stops us from hemorrhaging money”? He’s a footballer not a businessman.
        Secondly - cutting costs is easy. It’s more about making sure that we don’t fall apart after we cut those costs? I’d say the powers that be have made their greatest accomplishment of lowering your expectations

Comment

So is the suggestion Phil Beard (business man) done a better job then Les or any other former player could

Comment

Originally posted by James1979 View Post

Tarbie- you do talk a lot of sense but I’ve got to take issue with a couple of things. Firstly.......why do we need the best centre forward (in my life time anyway) being the one who “stops us from hemorrhaging money”? He’s a footballer not a businessman.
            Secondly - cutting costs is easy. It’s more about making sure that we don’t fall apart after we cut those costs? I’d say the powers that be have made their greatest accomplishment of lowering your expectations
            Said it a few times mate, I'm still very much on the fence about how good a DoF Les is. But we all know Tony loves hiring people who are passionate about the club. Also, I don't think we can downplay the experience Les gained at Spurs. He clearly obtained first hand experience of the inner workings of Tottenham, and they're one of the best run clubs on the planet. Les' contacts from Spurs have also been a huge factor in the resurgance of our youth system.

As for lowering expectations, that's a work in progress I think. And I have no sympathy for Tony on the subject. He is solely responsible for pushing our expectations up so high. It's actually pretty shocking that just a few years later we're having to lower them to the point that we're meant to be satisfied with what was served up these last 2 or 3 seasons!

Comment

Will be interesting to see how quickly Warnock is dropped out of Cardiff when they are bottom of the table next season. Maybe Tan will have more faith in Warnock delivering a survival season than TF did ?

Comment

Said it a few times mate, I'm still very much on the fence about how good a DoF Les is. But we all know Tony loves hiring people who are passionate about the club. Also, I don't think we can downplay the experience Les gained at Spurs. He clearly obtained first hand experience of the inner workings of Tottenham, and they're one of the best run clubs on the planet. Les' contacts from Spurs have also been a huge factor in the resurgance of our youth system.

As for lowering expectations, that's a work in progress I think. And I have no sympathy for Tony on the subject. He is solely responsible for pushing our expectations up so high. It's actually pretty shocking that just a few years later we're having to lower them to the point that we're meant to be satisfied with what was served up these last 2 or 3 seasons!
                Good post.

I think LF has done some good and some bad things as DoF as he is still imo learning.

And you are spot on about TF. He just hasn't got a clue and does not appear to be learning very much. His appointment of IH is testament to that. What is the point of hiring LF and LH and then going against their advice on a mangerial appointment? he seems to think that all we should be expecting now is a lower half finish and youth and free transfer signings.

Comment

Working...
                X