No announcement yet.

Congratulations Neil Warnock!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tarbie. I do not disagree about the current system meaning we avoid making the same mistakes again but will definitely argue about Hughes's part in the mess that we ended up in. Fernandes even made reference to it on the podcast about the scouting report being more thorough that it was when we hired the genius that is Mike Rigg who was Hughes's man. We also had the choice of every single player Kia Jorabchin threw our way.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
      Tarbie. I do not disagree about the current system meaning we avoid making the same mistakes again but will definitely argue about Hughes's part in the mess that we ended up in. Fernandes even made reference to it on the podcast about the scouting report being more thorough that it was when we hired the genius that is Mike Rigg who was Hughes's man. We also had the choice of every single player Kia Jorabchin threw our way.
      Will never argue with you that Hughes made a mess of things mate. All I will say is he was given way too much leeway to make that mess. Fernandes was literally gagging for Hughes to spend his money. Caught up in the excitement I think, but weren't we all?

Not a fan of Hughes, clearly he has huge limitations particularly in the transfer market. I just think it's a bit of a cop out to blame everything on him. He was far from the only one guilty of being incompitent during that time.

Comment

Agree to disagree but look at Stoke and the mess he left there where an England goalkeeper is slating the recruitment policy and ill discipline. Seen that before!

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
          Agree to disagree but look at Stoke and the mess he left there where an England goalkeeper is slating the recruitment policy and ill discipline. Seen that before!
          Missing my point mate, I'm not arguing with any of that. Not sticking up for Hughes in any way, shape or form. He was a very poor manager for us.

I'm just saying that there was far more wrong with the club than just the manager, and that the board have to also be held accountable. Perhaps more accountable than the manager in fact. They should have had far better systems in place.

Comment

Systems should have been in place and yes Fernandes had his strides pulled down by Hughes and that Joorabchin who was the biggest winner of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

To abandon that in order to entice 1 manager would be extremely shortsighted!
              Mate - all of that kind of assumes a quality DoF. I think the jury is welll out on that one.

You can have a perfectly good development system without a DoF. The truth is that clubs had a much better record of bringing local kids through before there was such a thing as an academy. Or a DoF.

Comment

100% agree with tarbie-the majority of posters on here (and other sites) wanted rid of warnock. Imo he will be gone by the winter window. Best wishes tho-was actually a time after that a lot of older Rangers gave up on going
                PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Originally posted by hal9thou View Post

Mate - all of that kind of assumes a quality DoF. I think the jury is welll out on that one.

You can have a perfectly good development system without a DoF. The truth is that clubs had a much better record of bringing local kids through before there was such a thing as an academy. Or a DoF.
                  Don't think Les is perfect mate, far from it. And I think, to a certain extent, he's learnt his trade with us. But I don't think it can be argued that the club has made a lot of necessary improvements under Les and Lee Hoos.

Comment

The club was a joke at the time, it was the worst kept secret in football that we were handing out fairytale contracts to any players with a half decent CV, with very few limitations (such as release clauses if we went down). Joey Barton even talks about it in his book apparently. Says he a.) only came here for the money and, b.) was actually given more money than he asked for. Couldn't make it up could you? Not only were we paying more than we could afford, we were paying more than we needed to.
                    Christ, I remember that, and M'bia not really being sure about which 'rangers' he'd signed for

Comment

IF ONLY IF ONLY if we had decent people running our club could've been us maybe? instead we have a DOF who has made appalling managerial appointments/recommendations and put his own agenda before the clubs as most people know about their spat when Warnock was in charge for those few games when Ramsey was sacked when the DOF was interfering in the dressing room there was a lot about Warnock not wanting the job, he did but without interference and overall say, but sadly someone wasn't about to let that happen. I think it's called job preservation

Comment

Originally posted by qprjeff1882 View Post
                        Now that is a proper manager. Well done Neil. Hope the board are looking on and wondering what could have been.
                        This with bells on. I also predicted towards the end of last season that Warnock would have Cardiff chasing promotion this season, and got ridiculed by some.

Comment

Originally posted by dave58 View Post
                          IF ONLY IF ONLY if we had decent people running our club could've been us maybe? instead we have a DOF who has made appalling managerial appointments/recommendations and put his own agenda before the clubs as most people know about their spat when Warnock was in charge for those few games when Ramsey was sacked when the DOF was interfering in the dressing room there was a lot about Warnock not wanting the job, he did but without interference and overall say, but sadly someone wasn't about to let that happen. I think it's called job preservation
                          Sad but true. unfortunately we can't turn back time.

Comment

Apart from the fact that the worst managerial appointment of the lot was not made by the DoF, but by Tony Fernandes. It was also made against the advice given by the DoF and the CFO.

To say Les was interfering is probably a matter of perspective as well. As I said a few posts above, it really is a case of understanding the difference between a Manager and a Head Coach. In our current system, whomever we employ needs to have the mentality of a Head Coach (i.e. they take care of coaching and leading the first team only). As such Warnock was never really a good candidate for the role once we took the step of appointing a DoF. He was always going to want final say over everything, including transfers.

I don't think we as fans can complain about the mismanagement of money during the 3 years that Hughes and Harry were in charge. Then 5 minutes later complain that we've employed a Director of Football and it's limiting our choice of manager. Surely we can all see the reasons we changed the set up, and why it's important to have a structure at the club that doesn't give full control of everything to the Manager?
                            Last edited by Tarbie; 08-05-2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Apart from the fact that the worst managerial appointment of the lot was not made by the DoF, but by Tony Fernandes. It was also made against the advice given by the DoF and the CFO.

To say Les was interfering is probably a matter of perspective as well. As I said a few posts above, it really is a case of understanding the difference between a Manager and a Head Coach. In our current system, whomever we employ needs to have the mentality of a Head Coach (i.e. they take care of coaching and leading the first team only). As such Warnock was never really a good candidate for the role once we took the step of appointing a DoF. He was always going to want final say over everything, including transfers.

I don't think we as fans can complain about the mismanagement of money during the 3 years that Hughes and Harry were in charge. Then 5 minutes later complain that we've employed a Director of Football and it's limiting our choice of manager. Surely we can all see the reasons we changed the set up, and why it's important to have a structure at the club that doesn't give full control of everything to the Manager?
                              T.F had his pants pulled down by Hughes and Harry the so called DOF wasn't appointed until Harry was in charge and fans were unhappy with the way things were going under Harry he DOF was bought in to appease the fans much the same as Ollie & Birch were now, and because he made 2 bad appointments which I believe is 3( must have had some say) Warnock should've been appointed when Ramsey left for the rest of that season, and what's more important a good manager with proven track record or a DOF with no track record or experience of running a club, and by that I mean all the so called DOF had done was assistant to Ramsey running spurs youth set up. I know what I'd rather have

Comment

T.F had his pants pulled down by Hughes and Harry the so called DOF wasn't appointed until Harry was in charge and fans were unhappy with the way things were going under Harry he DOF was bought in to appease the fans much the same as Ollie & Birch were now, and because he made 2 bad appointments which I believe is 3( must have had some say) Warnock should've been appointed when Ramsey left for the rest of that season, and what's more important a good manager with proven track record or a DOF with no track record or experience of running a club, and by that I mean all the so called DOF had done was assistant to Ramsey running spurs youth set up. I know what I'd rather have
                                Whether Les is the right man for the DoF role is a totally different argument, and 1 that I'm still on the fence about if I'm honest. He's done very well in some areas, and clearly not so well in others. You can't blame him for Holloway though, Tony has admitted that was his decision and Les and Lee Hoos were both against it from the outset.

Wrong to say the DoF was brought in to appease the fans in my opinion. He was brought in because we were getting out pants pulled down by agents (and 2 managers in my opinion), and the board needed someone to put some systems in place, and to ensure the club didn't continue to trade at such a huge loss.

You ask "what's more important, a good Manager, or a DoF?". The fact is, we would probably be out of business by now if we'd kept spending the way we were before Les came on board, and we've not had a good manager at any point since Warnock left (yet we've survived). So I'd argue the DoF is more important from that perspective. We certainly needed to do something to stop us from hemorrhaging money. Of course I'd like a good Manager (or Head Coach) too, and I live in hope that one day we'll get one again.

Comment

Working...
                                X