If it is McClaren

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If it is McClaren

Whether we get the Wally-with-a-brolly or Shteeve version there is no denying he is a proper manager. It will settle the debate about how good our squad actually is.........although it will be interesting to see who is left after the season is over.

What makes him anymore of a proper manager than Ollie? Other than a spell in Holland, his record isn't that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Norths View Post
      What makes him anymore of a proper manager than Ollie? Other than a spell in Holland, his record isn't that great.
      McLaren's career stats as manager are a good bit better than Holloway:

Ollie - Played 950, Won 343, Drew 262, Lost 343 (36.1 % won)
      McLaren - Played 619, Won 278, Drew 147, Lost 194 (44.9% won)

Also worth bearing in mind that most of McLaren's games were at a higher level of competition than the majority of Ollies. Other points worth noting, McLaren was Assistant to Alex Ferguson through one the most successful periods in Man Utd's history. He also won the League Cup with Middlesbrough, and took them to a UEFA Cup final, he won the Dutch league with FC Twente too. Also generally accepted as one of the best coaches in the English game.

But yeah, apart from that he's no better qualified than Ian Holloway!

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

McLaren's career stats as manager are a good bit better than Holloway:

Ollie - Played 950, Won 343, Drew 262, Lost 343 (36.1 % won)
        McLaren - Played 619, Won 278, Drew 147, Lost 194 (44.9% won)

Also worth bearing in mind that most of McLaren's games were at a higher level of competition than the majority of Ollies. Other points worth noting, McLaren was Assistant to Alex Ferguson through one the most successful periods in Man Utd's history. He also won the League Cup with Middlesbrough, and took them to a UEFA Cup final, he won the Dutch league with FC Twente too. Also generally accepted as one of the best coaches in the English game.

But yeah, apart from that he's no better qualified than Ian Holloway!
        Calm yourself - just asking the question

Funny you should mention his coaching credentials as I've always thought of him as a better number 2. Plus I've never forgiven him for that night at Wembley.

Ollie a 'proper' manager in his own right, even if some decisions do leave you baffled.

Comment

Calm yourself - just asking the question

Funny you should mention his coaching credentials as I've always thought of him as a better number 2. Plus I've never forgiven him for that night at Wembley.

Ollie a 'proper' manager in his own right, even if some decisions do leave you baffled.
          This is a decent point.

I made the argument in a couple of other threads that we don't actually need a Manager. What we need is a Head Coach. Les and the scouts take care of new signings, Ramsey takes care of U23's and youth development. What we need is somebody to coach and manage the first team. When you look at it from that perspective, McLaren is the perfect fit.

Comment

At this present moment in time I'd be happy with Ollie staying, providing we see this type of play going into next season.

If we are making a change, the board have to think wisely and cover every inch and prevent the same mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

This is a decent point.

I made the argument in a couple of other threads that we don't actually need a Manager. What we need is a Head Coach. Les and the scouts take care of new signings, Ramsey takes care of U23's and youth development. What we need is somebody to coach and manage the first team. When you look at it from that perspective, McLaren is the perfect fit.
              I think that's the direction a few clubs are looking to take, most notably Arsenal. Interested to see if we follow suit.

Comment

I think that's the direction a few clubs are looking to take, most notably Arsenal. Interested to see if we follow suit.
                In theory, it's the direction that we've been on since Harry Redknapp departed. Ramsey's appointment was really all about a DoF system with a Head Coach instead of a manager, but perhaps we were trying to run before we could walk at that point!

Comment

Originally posted by Alanwycombe View Post
                  Whether we get the Wally-with-a-brolly or Shteeve version there is no denying he is a proper manager. It will settle the debate about how good our squad actually is.........although it will be interesting to see who is left after the season is over.
                  He was co commentating on radio for stoke game, got me thinking why would he choose us
                  when there will be teams like stoke, money to spend possibly looking for a manager too

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

He was co commentating on radio for stoke game, got me thinking why would he choose us
                    when there will be teams like stoke, money to spend possibly looking for a manager too
                    Perhaps some would prefer to have a decent crop of talented young players to work with than cash in the bank. Hard to pick up decent young players these days!

Comment

Not a bad point mate.
                      When money is spent, a lot of money, the pressure on managers is huge.
                      Next year Ollie or who ever is manger, will be under less pressure imo because fans are
                      more patient with youngsters and less expectant., including oneself

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post

Because likes of stoke are not interested. Big clubs more often then not look abroad

Comment

Working...
                        X