• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lunar Jetman View Post

Kid??? He's 27!!
    It’s a figure of speech dear to those younger than one

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
      How does a player, especially an attacker, actually get a run of form going when they seem to be selected and dropped totally at random?!
      Tough breaking into a side at the age of 19 isn't it ?

Comment

Would like to see him given more of a chance next season, up front or behind the striker preferably.
        Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
        Pawel Wszolek - 6
        Luke Freeman - 6
        Matt Smith - 6
        Ebere Eze - 4
        Joel Lynch - 3
        Tomer Hemed - 3
        Toni Leistner - 2
        Massimo Luongo- 2
        Angel Rangel - 2
        Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
        Geoff Cameron - 1
        Aramide Oteh - 1
        Jake Bidwell - 1
        Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

Tough breaking into a side at the age of 19 isn't it ?
          Of course it is mate, and I appreciate that we don't get to see who's doing what in training. But what I do know is that in terms of confidence/morale, the worst thing you can do to a young player is to drop him out of the picture just as he's starting to make progress. This is just what I feel happened to Oteh, as well as Shodipo before him. Also Wheeler, although he's hardly a young player.

Maybe we have too many players? Maybe Holloway is trying too hard to allow too many players a chance to make an impression. But I do feel that players just seem to disappear out of the picture for months on end, and then get brought in from the cold without any real explanation out of the blue. Ollie has always been a bit like that to be fair.

Compare him to someone like Warnock. In that promotion season you could pretty much predict Warnock's likely team selection before every game and be 90% right. He knew his best 11, and he used them as much as possible. Of course there was enough rotation to ensure that no players got burnt out, but there was definitely continuity. And there was never drastic changes in formation and playing personnel in League matches.

Doing well in this league isn't rocket science. Plenty of bang average teams will get themselves into the promotion picture every season just by playing to their strengths and getting the simple decisions right 9 times out of 10 (look at Preston and Millwall this season). I'd just like to see us get back to that personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush

How many youth team players did Warnock use in that season ? Didn't really have any to use did he, hence inexperience at this level was never a factor in team selection.

Warnock got the formula right that season (the Derry/Faurlin and Gorkks/Connolly partnerships plus the best midfielder in the league who was allowed to do what he wanted) but do you not think he would have changed it around if we weren't unbeaten for so long ?
            Personally I think it's more of a case that Warnock plays the percentages game. He knows his trade and this league very well, he plays it reasonably safe and gets the basics right most of the time.

Holloway is the other end of the spectrum. He's just constantly rolling the dice, chancing his arm with madcap plans and crazy ideas. There is absolutely nothing about the guy that says "stability" for me. From his tactics & team selections, to his press conferences, even to some of the whacky clobber that he wears on a match day. Probably a great guy to have a beer with, but I'd hate to work for him. I don't think instability is ever a good trait for somebody in a managerial job.

Comment

Of course it is mate, and I appreciate that we don't get to see who's doing what in training. But what I do know is that in terms of confidence/morale, the worst thing you can do to a young player is to drop him out of the picture just as he's starting to make progress. This is just what I feel happened to Oteh, as well as Shodipo before him.
              Not if you have one of the best youth development coaches in the country at the club. They will all know what it takes to get in that first XI and personally I'm glad it isn't so easy as it means we'll get real quality in that side.

Comment

Personally I think it's more of a case that Warnock plays the percentages game. He knows his trade and this league very well, he plays it reasonably safe and gets the basics right most of the time.

Holloway is the other end of the spectrum. He's just constantly rolling the dice, chancing his arm with madcap plans and crazy ideas. There is absolutely nothing about the guy that says "stability" for me. From his tactics & team selections, to his press conferences, even to some of the whacky clobber that he wears on a match day. Probably a great guy to have a beer with, but I'd hate to work for him. I don't think instability is ever a good trait for somebody in a managerial job.
                Can't disagree on the huge gulf in difference between those two !

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post

It’s a figure of speech dear to those younger than one
                  Duck me, there must be an awful lot of kids out there
                  #standuptocancer
                  #inyourfacecancer

Comment

How’s he getting on at Portsmouth not heard much since he went on loan

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                      4 league runs outs this season but no more than 45 mins at a time - and some of those were under 10 mins. Played a fair amount in a cup game though.

They're doing well so he's probably finding it hard to break into a winning side.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                        My son has just started uni down there and went to see their game against Wycombe the other week. He said Wheeler was on the bench but never came on.

Comment

I'm afraid our Smyth will have a similar destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                            Portsmouth University is gaining in reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
                              And Oteh.

Comment

Panic buy.

Comment

Working...
                                X