Holloway on the way out??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
    Thing is though Mush, a decent manager can see wheen a young player is ready for the first team. A decent manager can also see when a player or system isn't working. This season Ollie has been guilty of the following:

1.) Telling Robinson that he's surplus to requirements, then backtracking. Probably a big factor in why we won't see him in the Hoops again.
    2.) Telling Goss he was surplus to requirements then backtracking when he started performing North of the border. Remains to be seen whether he was right or wrong on that.
    3.) Persevering with the dreaded 3 at the back for 7 months when everyone bar him and Pinkie could see it wasn't right for us.
    4.) Overlooking Furlong, Smyth, Eze, Robinson, Furlong, BOS and god knows how many other players that were good enough for the first team for the 1st half of the season. Wouldn't have minded if better players were being selected in their place but they weren't. How bad were Mackie and Washington? Yet he continued with them week in, week out.

Personally, I think we'll only know just how bad Holloway has been when this squad of players are given to a decent manager. I'll eat my words if we're still bottom half next season under a new manager, but I really doubt we will be. Any decent manager at this level will have these players challenging near the top 6, I'm sure of it!
    I'll agree on the back 3 - ridiculous idea.

Robinson: https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news...-extra-hunger/ (not sure if this works). Essentially said that an honest chat with Holloway about possibly going out on loan (to the right team) gave him the hunger to fight for his place. Reading that I'd say he's got a decent relationship with Holloway.

Goss : Didn't he just say that he weren't for sale after the Rangers manager listed Goss as a summer target ? Also, that loan move was a good move to see how Goss gets on at a competitive level and after a good start he looks like he is struggling to make an impact.

As for overlooking all the youth. Most of us in the first half od the season would probably only have dropped Mackie and Washington for some youth players and possibly get Furlong in, who did have a few games and didn't really impress as much as recently where the shackles are off for all youth. We probably would also have only given them cameo appearances here and there.
    Last edited by Shepherds Mush; 01-05-2018, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hubble View Post
      How ironic, that just when things are looking good - when it looks like Holloway has learnt the lessons of his abject insistence on wing backs - when he's brought the youth through and they are starting to sparkle - just when all this is happening, Mr Blunderbuss AKA Tony Fernandes sticks his oar in.

It took right up till the Forest home defeat for me to finally lose it with Ollie - enough was enough - but since then he's pretty much turned it all around. His general mouthing off and coating off of players has royally ####ed me off - and I was all for him going at the end of this season - but.... we have to be flexible in life and be prepared to change....

The way the youth have come through, the ridding of the dead wood players, cutting his cloth to suit the severe budget restrictions - all of this has been handled well. And right now, who on Earth could we get to come in who could work under the same restrictions? Until FFP is sorted, I think it's going to hard, if not nigh on impossible to attract a manager of caliber and the alternative would be yet another punt on someone new/untested/up and coming. If there was a really good manager option on the table we'd be mad not to look at it, but all things considered, I think Ollie deserves another season.
      I want to agree with you, Hubble. I feel partially the same. But, try as I can, I can't forget the total balls up he made of the season. Especially the three/ five at the back nonsense. His choice. Nothing to do with bedding in youngsters or any of that BS. I can't believe he won't make similar mistakes again. I'd put up with him for another year- only because I like him as a person- but I think we'd be better off with someone else. Glad it's not my call, mind. I'm generally torn. I like Ollie. He's a good and decent person. But I don't really rate him as a manager....

Comment

• Not going to happen, impossible....December's ages away.
        SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

• Originally posted by FurtiveFox View Post
          By his own admission Holloway only picked Smyth as he was out of options. Rest of youngsters then followed. We had odd appearances prior to that but only ones properly around first team were Furlong and Manning.
          This is also what I read a few months back.

QPR
          Best team in the world
          Sort of

Comment

• The youngsters came in because we were so low on resources, ie in spite of the manager and not because of him.

The change in set up came - eventually - partly because of the massive pressure that was building up for him to get a grip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
              I'd put up with him for another year
              No you wouldn't mate. No way.

Comment

Working...
              X