Scratching for positives from yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CroydonCaptainJack View Post

To be honest Jimmy the feeling is far from clear. Most I speak to think he's doing OK despite his limitations.
    Interesting one Jack as all I hear is people have had enough.

I guess its the circle we keep, the twitter accounts we follow etc maybe influences our thoughts.

Me personally I can't wait for a fresh start with a competent manager with half a brain who doesn't talk constant crap and can set a football team up properly. I like Ollie as a man but can't stand him as a manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post

Interesting one Jack as all I hear is people have had enough.

I guess its the circle we keep, the twitter accounts we follow etc maybe influences our thoughts.

Me personally I can't wait for a fresh start with a competent manager with half a brain who doesn't talk constant crap and can set a football team up properly. I like Ollie as a man but can't stand him as a manager.
      Yes, that may be the case mate but I do speak to a lot of random supporters in the journey etc who are not in my groups. Also, I don't have a lot of time for the twitterati as a fair % seem absolute coc@$

Comment

Originally posted by Shepherds Mush View Post

I think that is why there is a mixed opinion of Holloway in a nutshell. Some think we have underachieved while others, like me, think we have a bang average squad and are exactly where we probably should be.

In addition, I think there may be managers who MIGHT get more out of the squad but there are also other managers who would have this squad relegated (pick any Birmingham manager up until Monk) in a heartbeat.
        I just don't see how our squad could have it in them to beat the likes of Cardiff, Wolves and Villa if they are so bang average.

Then I look at the likes of Preston and Millwall that are up there challenging. You telling me that Luongo, Robinson, Bidwell, Freeman, Scowen etc. wouldn't walk straight into the starting 11 for these sides? Preston looked awful in terms of ability when they came to us. Just a well drilled side, that played to their strengths and took advantage of our weaknesses.

We're a far better group of players than are league position suggests mate.
        Last edited by Tarbie; 22-04-2018, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post

I just don't see how our squad could have it in them to beat the likes of Cardiff, Wolves and Villa if they are so bang average.

Then I look at the likes of Preston and Millwall that are up there challenging. You telling me that Luongo, Bidwell, Freeman, Scowen etc. wouldn't walk straight into the starting 11 for these sides? Preston looked awful in terms of ability when they came to us. Just a well drilled side, that played to their strengths and took advantage of our weaknesses.

I think we are in about the position that reflects the overall strength of the side, yes there are a sprinkling of players who can be quite good on the day, most are inconsistent though, injuries in the back earlier in the season didn't help and we don't have a natural goal scorer, you will only go so far with these issues!
          @gatorTFC

Comment

Then I look at the likes of Preston and Millwall that are up there challenging. You telling me that Luongo, Robinson, Bidwell, Freeman, Scowen etc. wouldn't walk straight into the starting 11 for these sides? Preston looked awful in terms of ability when they came to us. Just a well drilled side, that played to their strengths and took advantage of our weaknesses.

And with Sylla out injured for so long and Smyth only just breaking through who do you think would be scoring the goals?

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

And with Sylla out injured for so long and Smyth only just breaking through who do you think would be scoring the goals?
              See this is another myth that a lot of fans seem to have bought into. We have 2 of the best goal scorers in the league when it comes to goals per minutes played. Smith and Sylla are both right up there when you look at the ratio of goals per minutes on the pitch.

The problem is we haven't played them enough. Alright, you can point to Sylla having an injury or 2, but I'm pretty sure there have been very few games this season where both of these guys have been unavailable for selection at the same time.
              Last edited by Tarbie; 22-04-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

See this is another myth that a lot of fans seem to have bought into. We have 2 of the best goal scorers in the league when it comes to goals per minutes played. Smith and Sylla are both right up there when you look at the ratio of goals per minutes on the pitch.

The problem is we haven't played them enough. Alright, you can point to Sylla having an injury or 2, but I'm pretty sure there have been very few games this season where both of these guys have been unavailable for selection at the same time.
                Sylla has been injured most of the season and you need two strikers doing the job. We have not had a balanced squad to be much higher than we are and we have blooded young players. We need another striker to support Smith and Sylla next season.

But Sylla should have had more game time over Washington which is odd to me. Also, like others sticking with 352 lasted longer than it should have.

We'll have a balanced squad for next season and Ollie will be in charge, until Xmas at least.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post

Sylla has been injured most of the season and you need two strikers doing the job. We have not had a balanced squad to be much higher than we are and we have blooded young players. We need another striker to support Smith and Sylla next season.

But Sylla should have had more game time over Washington which is odd to me. Also, like others sticking with 352 lasted longer than it should have.

We'll have a balanced squad for next season and Ollie will be in charge, until Xmas at least.
                  Mate, just have a look at the squads that Millwall, Sheff Utd, Preston etc have. No way we can be claiming a lack of goal scorers for the reason we are where we are!

Anyway, agree to disagree, not worth banging heads over!

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                    That sums up my view entirely too.

Agree. A competent Championship manager could have got far more out of this squad this season.

Tarbie, the other crucial point you didn't mention is that when they Smith and/or Sylla are played we never play with natural width, which is the very thing that would play to their strengths. IH has not done this all season, despite racking and stacking the squad with wingers last summer.

The only thing he has got right was to finally revert to a back 4, but even that wasn't done until 3/4 of the way through the season.

Comment

The beer wasn't bad in the Bee Hive & Griffin

Comment

Lovely barmaid in the Globe. Hot pants weather as well

Comment

Hard to find any positives really mate. For the 3rd season running we're a worse side than Brentford. Played them 3 times, they've beaten us twice and we scraped a point by the skin of our teeth in the other game. Just ain't good enough is it?

People go on about us being short of cash, having a small ground, small fan base, average squad, lack of funds etc. But have a look at Brentford - Conference standard stadium, less fans than us by a country mile, never had wealthy owners, smaller squad than ours, and no doubt operating on a significantly smaller budget. Ain't just them too, look what Millwall have achieved this season with a bang average squad of players and a tiny budget.

The club really needs to take a look at the themselves and the standards that are being set. Ollie needs to be held accountable, not only for the repetitive cycle of winning and losing runs, but also for the awful away form, and the fact we never show up in these derby matches that mean so much to the fans.

Somebody else posted earlier that their Brentford mates have given up giving him stick. Same with me. A few years back I could expect a ribbing every time they took points of us. These days they don't even bother cos it's virtually a given that they'll beat us. Literally 3 points in the bag is how they look at us these days. It's a sorry state of affairs!
                          This with bells on.

He is a poor coach, It's nothing to do with FFP. But as others have said before, the Board are poor at their job of running this club and don't even attend the games most weeks, instead it is the fans who have to watch the tripe on offer, and as the falling attendences show, many have voted with their feet.

He has forwards who are good in the air from crossesfrom the wings yet doesn't play with wingers. It took him 34 games to work out that they couldn't play with 3 at the back so how long will it take to realise that if Smith or Sylla are to play up front, they need wingers to supply the crosses.

He will stay on for next season and I expect it will be much the same as this one.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                            Although I posted he should go and if I was in charge that’s what I would do, when I think calmly I can see an argument for him staying next season. If he does stay though he needs to seriously up his game as last season and this has not been good enough and we can’t just lower our standards and expectations to fit in
                            But he can't up his game mate, he's not good enough .

Comment

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

This with bells on.

He is a poor coach, It's nothing to do with FFP. But as others have said before, the Board are poor at their job of running this club and don't even attend the games most weeks, instead it is the fans who have to watch the tripe on offer, and as the falling attendences show, many have voted with their feet.

He has forwards who are good in the air from crossesfrom the wings yet doesn't play with wingers. It took him 34 games to work out that they couldn't play with 3 at the back so how long will it take to realise that if Smith or Sylla are to play up front, they need wingers to supply the crosses.

He will stay on for next season and I expect it will be much the same as this one.

And he kept playing Washington but ignored Wheeler before his injury when Wheeler had been a goal scorer at Exeter... unless of course we had signed an injured player. We wouldn't sign an injured player would we.......? No, not us.

Comment

those using ''we are a small club'' as a reason why this club is struggling, need to look no further than Accrington Stanley. Second lowest income in the League and are looking certs to be champions in their division
                                I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                                This morning's tempest I have to cross
                                I must be guided without a stumble
                                Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Working...
                                X