My View on Sousa and his "followers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My View on Sousa and his "followers"

I, until the moment Sousa was fired would have called myself a Sousa follower. Now I want to make it clear because even I am now bored with the pro/anti Sousa debates that I and the fellow followers weren't happy with the style of football being played, we weren't 100% happy with tactics, team selections and especially the results. I haven't blindly supported Sousa because I believe him to be some sort of god and from all that I've read on this board I don't think anyone else does. I've followed him, like I followed Dowie, because I believe that he deserved time.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and there are some who will say that 5 months is enough time and if that's what they believe then fine but I beg to differ. I believe that when any manager (even more difficult when foreign) comes to a club and has to inherit a squad without a pre-season that it takes time. All managers have certain styles that they want to see their team play and if they don't have the players for this system you either have to bring players in or adapt to the situation - both again take time.

I was a Dowie follower, why? Because although I didn't go to Swansea to see the poor performance I was witness when we were thrashed 3-0 against Norwich under De Canio and were people calling for his head? No because they were prepared to put all of the other matches into context rather than single out one game. Yes we had gone on a particularly poor run before Swansea but we were a single point off the play offs with more than ¾ of the season to play. Was Dowie given time - definitely not. Why did I stop "being a follower" because he like Sousa now is part of our history and we move on. Will I follow Wise or Ince or Ferguson - most definitely. Rarely do managers take over when a club isn't going in the direction the board want it to and turn it into a instant success. Of course Keane did it at Sunderland but as I said it rarely happens. So if you take a manager then fire them and then fire the next manager soon after you are always left with managers picking up the pieces from the past rather than building the foundations for the future. It is for this reason that I believe QPR fans as a whole should back the next manager and allow him the time to build.

I hope I've cleared a few things up - we weren't overjoyed at the results or the performances but we backed him because we believed he deserved (with a full fit squad) the opportunity to be judged fairly. We can all find stats and make comparisons (I'm guilty of it) but Sousa should have been judged by all of us with a full fit squad not compared with people in our history but judged when every player was available to him and then we could have seen what formation and team he would have put out rather than speculating what he would have done.

Sorry to have rambled but can we put this to bed now?

fair points.
    ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
    THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Neil Warnock's blue and white army.

Comment

Sirpie -- you have hit the nail on the head.
        What is bothering many of us is the knowledge that the managers are not given enough TIME to make a real impact.
        What could Sousa have done with a full squad and a preseason (which is what we wanted?) -- we'll never know -- although, having seen the difference Rowan Vine made alongside Helguson (the first striker pairing this season that works), it's a shame PS didn't have that chance.

That's what we want -- a manager given a chance.
        I hear people saying the fans are impatient for success, but perhaps the fanbase is only reflecting the impatience of the board with the managers...
        Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

Spot on SirPie. I understand and fully agree with your sentiments, with the single exception (as I have admitted elsewhere) that I did call for Dowie to go, but not because we didn't win and didn't shoot on sight against a stand in goalie or concede 80% odd possession to them. It was all down to the very unpleasant tactics employed on the day whereby we resorted to kicking the opposition players into the stand because we couldn't compete. That is one thing that should never be associated with our great Club, hence my reaction at the time.
          Like you I will be totally behing whoever they appoint, of course there are some I would be less happy with than others but it won't stop me going and I won't be booing or protesting...........even if it is that little rascal of a man they call the menace.
          #standuptocancer
          #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
            Spot on SirPie. I understand and fully agree with your sentiments, with the single exception (as I have admitted elsewhere) that I did call for Dowie to go, but not because we didn't win and didn't shoot on sight against a stand in goalie or concede 80% odd possession to them. It was all down to the very unpleasant tactics employed on the day whereby we resorted to kicking the opposition players into the stand because we couldn't compete. That is one thing that should never be associated with our great Club, hence my reaction at the time.
            Like you I will be totally behing whoever they appoint, of course there are some I would be less happy with than others but it won't stop me going and I won't be booing or protesting...........even if it is that little rascal of a man they call the menace.
            The football like Dowie wasn't pretty but some things we never wanted associated with the club happened before Dowie took charge for example the brawl with the Chinese Olympic Team. To be honest although it cost a lot to see us I'm more interested with the result than with the performance especially in this league. One day when we've won our first Premiership title I'll care more about the performance. I know I'm in the minority to hold that belief but I would rather us win ugly then not win playing pretty (Arsenal).

Comment

I supported sousa and thought he would be better given more time, agree a lot of our play was boring, now he has gone, it is time to get behind the club and support whoever comes in as coach.
              I liked the statement from Flavio, said all the right things, including the QPR family.

IN QPR I TRUST.
              They seek him here.................

Comment

Supported him 100%
                Fact of the matter is, you cant judge a manager who wasnt allowed to do his job properly, why bother appointing him in the first place ?
                Onwards & Upwards ?
                Very debatable unfortunately.

Comment

I know you did and nothing wrong with that. Its your belief.

Where would we be without opinions?
                  ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                  THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

yes

yes nail on head lets go forward

Comment

Working...
                    X