Richard Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Thompson

Hindsight is a wonderful thing as they say so was Richard Thompson really as bad as many of us thought in those days?

With all the recent talk about red noses and protests against Flavio or GP or is it both I honestly cannot remember why we all got so hot and bothered about Thompson

Because he suceeded brilliantly in the business side

But at the complete detrement to the football side!

We were only a couple of players away from being real contenders back then - but players were sold.
    Even back then there were rumours about certain key people being on 10% of profit on transfers -- not a totally bad thing but still sticks in the craw a bit
    I need some time in the sunshine, I gotta slow it right down.

Comment

Originally posted by LBLOCK View Post

We were only a couple of players away from being real contenders back then - but players were sold.
      Even back then there were rumours about certain key people being on 10% of profit on transfers -- not a totally bad thing but still sticks in the craw a bit
      I recall Clive Berlin I think it was giving younsters 100k a year contracts just to keep them at QPR etc but I wonder if the fact that we all knew he was only about 24 went against him and wasnt he a Leeds fan as well?

I agree with you that just a couple of new players would have made us a real force but instead we sold simply to balance the books which of course is unheard of these days at most clubs who would rather sink in to debt then sell prized assets.

Comment

He was unbelievably bad.

He sold Sir Les and replaced him with Hateley and then had the nerve to tell us we had ambition.

Horrible man that started the rot

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
          He was unbelievably bad.

He sold Sir Les and replaced him with Hateley and then had the nerve to tell us we had ambition.

Good point about Sir Les being replaced by Hateley but I think Wilkins deserves most of the blame for wasting that money as Hateley was his best pal from his Glasgow Rangers days and had to leave Scotland in a hurry so the story goes,Simon Osborn who was quite decent hardly ever got a game because Wilkins wanted a final year playing himself and Ned Zelic must be the only Aussie to get homesick in West London and then went back to Germany.

Perhaps its always been madness at QPR

Comment

I protested against Thompson and invaded the pitch. Mainly because I thought that QPR were the best team in the world and saw someone dismantling everything. Particularly when he had all that money and all we could see was the prospect of Fulham Park Rangers. As you say hindsight is a wonderful thing, some of what he was doing was probably needed but I would still demonstrate against FPR because it would see the death of MY club. However, I am very sceptical of any demo's etc now, as it too could see the death of my club and that is a risk I wouldn't take.
            RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Sir Les was always going to go unfortunately, as was Seaman,Sinton, Parker, Pea****, they wanted to go to bigger clubs and try and win things and no one can blame them for that. I protested as a young whipper snapper and to this day wish I hadn't, as 5 other chairman have found out, running Rangers is not as easy as some would believe.

Comment

When he sold he apparently took some money too

Comment

Originally posted by LBLOCK View Post

Giving GF a profit related contract was not a good move

Comment

Originally posted by kingo View Post
                    I protested against Thompson and invaded the pitch. Mainly because I thought that QPR were the best team in the world and saw someone dismantling everything. Particularly when he had all that money and all we could see was the prospect of Fulham Park Rangers. As you say hindsight is a wonderful thing, some of what he was doing was probably needed but I would still demonstrate against FPR because it would see the death of MY club. However, I am very sceptical of any demo's etc now, as it too could see the death of my club and that is a risk I wouldn't take.
                    The Fulham Park Rangers farce was under the ownership of Marler estates,before the thompsons took over

Comment

Originally posted by Chopper View Post
                      He was unbelievably bad.

every penny we got from newcastle for Ferdinand and Pea**** went straight back into the team and improving loftus rd which by law we had to do after hillsbourgh

Comment

It would have been interesting to see what Bulstode would or could have done with the club

Comment

Originally posted by old school qpr View Post
                          The Fulham Park Rangers farce was under the ownership of Marler estates,before the thompsons took over
                          Wasn't Thompson, or more importantly his father the main man behind Mahler ?
                          RIP: Doug, Sniffer and Pat

Comment

Originally posted by IsleworthRanger View Post
                            It would have been interesting to see what Bulstode would or could have done with the club
                            imho he was just a puppet for marler estates he never had any real power although he came across as a decent fella the few times i met him

Comment

The Thompson family make Briatore look like a pauper.

With regard to RT - yes hindsight is a wonderful thing. Remember then though, times were different - we'd finished 5th in the Premier League and were 7th when Thompson decided to sell Pea**** to Newcastle. If Pea**** had stayed and Thompson just taken the same sort of risk Bates did in getting in Gullit, I truly believe, no exaggeration here, we had a decent chance of actually getting into the top 3 or even winning the damn thing. Things were much more even back in 93/94.

Comment

Working...
                              X