Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

Again sorry for another late report... I didn't really get a chance to get online yesterday as I had other commitments. But for anyone interested, this is my take on Saturday's game against Blackpool.

Without edging towards getting too much sympathy, it was an especially early morning start for me. As I had no transport, I had to get on the very first bus leaving in the morning towards the ferry. It's around a mile long walk just to get to the bus station from where I live... and it was raining so.. (ok I'll stop now!).

As we headed up towards the ground there were two main concerns that we had, which kept us busy nattering away most of the way there. Namely Flavio Briatore and his supposed exit from the club, and the rumors about Routledge leaving for Middlesborough. I was keen to try and keep a close eye on the latter, and check for any sign's that he could be a player off on the move.

After we arrived at the ground, we stood by the side of the pitch and watched as the players warmed up. Ikeme looked pretty pumped up for the game, and it wasn't any great surprise when we found out that he would be starting in place of Cerny. One refreshing thing up in Blackpool was the attitude of the stewards who couldn't have been nicer towards us. We got chatting to one of them, and they discussed the fan that had got injured in the away end against Preston a few week's ago... As he was a Blackpool supporter, he said he didn't feel much sympathy towards him and joked that he got a sly kick on him while he was on the ground! Like I said though, it was a complete contrast to the power hungry people we are normally up against. He also joked that one of the lino's looked about twelve years old, and overhearing our conversation the lino turned round and jokingly said "I'm 13 actually!" which we had a good laugh at.

Eventually we took to our seats towards the top of the wooden construction that they call a stand, and watched as the players came out from the tunnel ahead of us. The Blackpool drummer has quite a name for himself, and it's no surprise to see why. The amount of noise coming out from the 'Kop' end there is unbelievable, and made it quite an intimidating place to go.

The early few minutes were fairly evenly matched. Blackpool were having by far the greater amount of possession, and putting together some fairly slick moves around the pitch. They didn't really get any real opportunities at goal, but the signs were certainly there that they would be no push-over's. Worryingly for us, we just couldn't seem to string a pass together, and that became more apparent as the half drew on. The only real positive to take from the opening few minutes was Taarabt, who looked the only real danger man for us. There were 2 separate occasions where he somehow managed to beat about 3 men, and I think even the Blackpool fans admired the stunning footwork he was displaying. Both times he tried to play Agyemang in behind the defence, but his passes were too heavy and ended up in the goalkeeper's arms.

One player who was a huge concern was Fitz Hall in at right back. He was continuing to stand off his man, and it was clear that sooner or later Blackpool would hurt us from this position. It was no surprise when they eventually took the lead. Again the winger managed to get down the left hand side, and after Hall had dived in down by the corner flag, he cut in and crossed at the far post, where Adam had the easy task of slamming the ball into the net with Ikeme in no man's land. I'm not sure whether he should have done better, but it looked a poor goal to concede.

Obviously the player's looked fairly dejected, but oddly enough it was Taarabt who was giving out the encouragement. While frantically clapping his hands, he was going overboard with keeping the player's heads up and concentrated on the game. We ever so nearly managed to draw level shortly after. After picking the ball up on the left hand side, Taarabt was showboating with stepover after stepover along the byline, and eventually unleashed a drive that clipped off the defender and flew wide for a corner kick. In truth, it might have been better to square the ball as we had a fair few players in the box... but (for once) you just couldn't fault his effort and determination to win.

As the half drew to a close, in truth it was a fairly uninspiring first half. Blackpool were probably the better side, although Ikeme had very little to do.

Harford decided to make a change right at the start of the second half, and it was the again ineffective Buzsaky making way for Ephraim on the left hand side. Again Blackpool probably shaded the opening few minutes, but for one of the first times in the game we were starting to really play football like we did under Harford originally. I'll admit to not being a huge fan of Ephraim, mainly because I feel he goes missing far too often for my liking. But he was a constant menace out on the wing, and his cutting in from the sides and playing in other players was giving us a completely new dimension.

Our first real effort on goal came when Taarabt burst through the middle. Ephraim made a great run from the left hand side over to the right, and I actually thought Taarabt had taken it too far... but somehow he squeezed a shot away that clipped one post, rolled along the line, and then hit the other post before being booted clear for a throw in. It was extremely unlucky, and Blackpool would count themselves very fortunate to not have gone a goal down here. Shortly after, we had what our football in the second half deserved. Routledge picked the ball up on the edge of the box, and after cheekily back-heeling the ball back, Taarabt had an attempt on goal which apparently hit the Blackpool defenders arm. As ever, I'll try and be completely honest, and I would say that it wasn't a penalty. That being said we had really been pushing them this half, and you always felt a goal would come sooner rather than later.

Nobody would stop Taarabt taking the penalty, and after placing it on the spot, I just hoped he wouldn't try something over the top with this chance to draw level. Then he ran up and in typical Taarabt fashion, he confidently dinked the ball to the right of the goal and drew the scores level. He ran down in front of the QPR fans, and clapped us before rallying the other players to go on and get all 3 points... I don't think I have ever seen so much fist pumping from him towards our supporters!

Now we really had Blackpool on the back foot though, and we had numerous chances to actually go ahead from here on in. Ephraim beat his man on the touchline, and after playing a delightful one-two with Faurlin on the edge of the box, he saw the keeper make a stunning save and push the ball clear for a corner. Routledge was coming more and more into the game as it went on, and for the first time in a few weeks, it was clear that the player's were being allowed to really express themselves.

Despite the real pressure we were putting Blackpool under now, they did have one great chance to take the lead again. After hitting us on the counter attack, Blackpool had 2 men forward with our sole defender being Matthew Connolly. After the Blackpool striker's heavy touch (I'm not sure who it was), Connolly darted towards the ball and was faced with a one on one race for possession with him. As the player looked to square for the unmarked team-mate in the middle of the pitch, Connolly lunged and just managed to hook it out for a throw-in... an absolutely crucial tackle.

We looked over at the bench as we saw Ramage just ready to come on. Despite our dominance in the half, Hall was looking a liability and it was a welcome relief to see it was likely him that would be making way, even if Ramage hasn't been in the best of form of late.

Frustratingly, it was again on Hall's side that the goal came from. After the cross came in Gorkss (as he had done throughout the game) managed to get his head on the ball, but it fell just on the edge of the box and was drilled straight back in towards goal. I'm not sure if the Blackpool player dummied over it, or got a touch but it somehow evaded Ikeme and Blackpool again took the lead. It was completely against the run of play, and you did feel that this would probably be it as far as getting any form of a result goes.

Listening to the noise of that drum bellowing out through the ground again was horrible. Blackpool's style of football also changed dramatically with the beastly Ben Burgess now on the field.

We did threaten to hurt them, but they had so many men back in midfield and defence, you did wonder how we would break them down. The fan's were still full of encouragement for the players - more out of hope than expectation.

As the clock was ticking down, Connolly played a ball through to Agyemang on the edge of the box. It seemed to flick up, and eventually dropped towards Connolly around 25 yards out. After taking one touch to set it up with his right foot, he smashed a stunning left footed shot straight into the back of the net. The keeper didn't have a chance, and the traveling QPR fans went absolutely MENTAL. I actually cut my leg on a seat somehow, but I don't remember anything from it. Fan's were going right down by the pitch going crazy... and what a stunning goal to draw level. Connolly came past pointing at his badge, and received a tremendous applause. I also noticed Routledge wouldn't seem to let go of him, such was his pleasure at us pulling level, and was actually the last player to stop celebrating if you like... The sign of a player on his way? Let's hope not. Listening to the Blackpool drum suddenly stop was quite a nice feeling as well I might add.

There weren't any real opportunities from here on in. Routledge had a half chance to square into the box in the dying seconds, but there were no real attempts/chances on goal. As the referee blew time on the game, the players came right down in front of us fans, and for one of the few times this season looked genuinely appreciative of our support. Gorkss was especially delighted for obvious reasons, and Mick Harford got a great send off by the traveling fans.

As we headed home, despite probably deserving more than a point, I was delighted with how the game went. That was a very tough place to go, but we really took the game to them especially in the second half. The style of football has changed dramatically from the boring long ball under Hart, and I can see us winning games under Harford. The football is attacking and enjoyable to watch, and the likes of Routledge/Ephraim/Taarabt are almost given free role to go out there and play... absolutely brilliant!!!!

I won't lie we did have a couple of scares throughout the game, and Blackpool are a very dangerous side.

But in amongst everything that has happened over the past week or so, it was a welcome distraction to just get back to playing football... and the players really didn't disappoint.

Who know's... watching QPR might actually start to be enjoyable again if this game was anything to go by. Let's hope Harford can keep this kind of football going, and hopefully we won't lose anyone in this transfer window. Routledge please stay!

All in all a very promising display.

Mick Harford's Blue Army!

Another excellent report SM. Really do appreciate the time and effort you put into these as i cannot make away games my self coz of work.You Sir are a gentleman
    God I miss cooke's pie & mash

Comment

Thankyou very much mate

Appreciate that comment, and being called a gentleman? ;D

Cheers,

Comment

great report of the game as always.sounds like we played quite well and were unlucky.bring on the forest :-D
        "birch said he rated u btw luke, congrats"

Comment

Top report

Comment

5-Star.

Cheers mate!
            Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Top stuff.

Love these reports from a PROPER fans perspective --- almost felt like was in the seats there with you.

Well done that man
              I need some time in the sunshine, I gotta slow it right down.

Comment

wow

wow fantastically brilliant report,forget having to go to a soccer match,on a freezing cold winter day.better just to read these incredible reports from a man who,should be employed by qpr,to put reports in the programs

GREAT STUFF SM,YOU ARE WORTHY OF YOUR HALL OF FAME STATUS

Comment

Another excellent report, almost as if you were there yourself. Like you said in your previous report, you thought we might get something at Bloomfield Road and we did. Please keep them coming SM as they are an excellent read.
                  Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------
                  https://twitter.com/#!/QPRBOB

Comment

SM superb once again.

Definately owe you a pint for these top reports.

Always a good read and it is nice to hear that the players showed some passion and commitment.
                    I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Thank you very much fantastic report.

Comment

The Blackpool drummer has quite a name for himself, and it's no surprise to see why. The amount of noise coming out from the 'Kop' end there is unbelievable, and made it quite an intimidating place to go.

Can we get a drummer in please?

Comment

Steve we have one in qblock Pete but he needs a new drum.
                          Maybe we should all donate a pound and see what we can find on ebay.
                          I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

getting a bit sick of having to wait till monday to read these reports:devil:

Great report, but wouldn't say it was an 'incredible' amount of noise but they were good fans, that thing they did after the goals when they all shouted something was tres loud indeed.

Comment

SM
                              Great report as usual.
                              Nice to hear a balanced, intelligent view of what happens ON THE PITCH.
                              I felt like I was there next to you

How you do that journey, week in, week out I don't know and I drive approx 1000 miles each week!

Comment

Working...
                              X