Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Footballs Finances, Our Owners, and Stuff....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very good post and makes fans see from another light, it could be much worse and we are in a good position atm.

If they were to leave we'd be in big trouble no doubt and would have to sell sell sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
      (a bit long, sorry!)

I was driving home last night, and listened to Radio 5. There was an interview with David Sullivan, and he was talking about the state of finances within the Premier League, and The Championship.

Some of what he said last night:

He told the Tony Livesey programme on Radio Five Live:
      "Some clubs, if you saw what we have seen about the accounts... we've looked at 20 clubs since we've left Birmingham. The state of the finance of football is frightening, that's all I can say."
      He continued: "I think there's a possibility one (Premier League) club could go. I think probably odds on one club will go.

"There's several Championship sides absolutely on the line at the moment. It's a question of whether they can sell players for sufficient money to stay alive.
      "But there's not a lot of money out there to buy players at the moment. Even some of the clubs who you think have got money really haven't got much money to spend on players."

A bit of an eye-opener. Scary stuff, and probably not far from the truth... Which brings me on to our current owners.
      Compared to most clubs in our division, and probably above, we are in a lucky position. We have backers with decent money behind them, and as long as they are around... we are safe in comparison to many clubs.

As someone who has been very critical of the policies of FB, that might sound like a contradiction... but I think people do get the wrong end of the stick when they see critics of FB, and assume that I and others just expect the owners to go out and splash millions on big-name players, and "do a Chelsea".
      Wrong.

What I am most frustrated about is the idea that raising ST prices to the highest in the league, and not communicating with the fans in any way is the right way to approach things. It has contributed to the falling gates and atmosphere at Loftus Road. And actually cost the club money.

Hiring journeymen or novice managers, and then losing them within a matter of weeks has cost the club money.
      The scattergun "randomly plug the gaps" approach to recruiting players, and ending up with the longest squad list I can see in this league (look at the back of any match programme this season for evidence) has wasted hundreds of thousands - maybe millions(?) of pounds. Some of the lengthy contracts handed out to players like Agyemang, Pellicori and Alberti has cost the club big money, and just defy belief.
      The amount of agents fees handed out for the loan of players like Steven Reid, Parejo, Tommy Williams, Damiano Tomassi, Rhys Taylor, and loads more has cost the club money.
      I'd love to see Kitson come to Rangers, and Cousin could be a good addition too... but that would mean that we would have 4 forwards at QPR, all on loan! (including Taarabt).

So rather than people saying "be grateful we're not Luton"... how about wondering how the hell we're going to stop wasting precious cash, and ending up like them? I don't want our owners to waste cash, and splash millions on even more players, and hire managers on a regular basis, only to sack/lose them - and start the whole thing off again.

I want something that will not only get the club pointing in the right direction and unified with the fans, but also would SAVE money, and get the crowds up.

That is.... invest in a proven manager in the summer (I'd love that to be Curbishley, you insert your own name). Trust him, support him.
      Pay him what he's PROVEN he's worth, set him a strict budget, nothing massive, just competitive. In the current climate, that's not mega-millions. Set him targets, sit back and let him do his job freely. If he fails in a set timescale, then cheerio. Fair enough.
      Stop this "Sporting Director" nonsense - it doesn't work.

Don't put the prices up anymore, that would be suicide. Get the kids in every week, cheap.
      Communicate with the supporters, honestly and openly. You'd be amazed how that would help.

Trim this squad right down to 25 players (it's 32+ at the moment), get scouting for players who are on the up, who have a sell-on potential, who are hungry to impress and achieve, who are not all rejects from Prem Clubs. That young lad from Scotland is an example. Scout them properly.
      Get a proper progressive youth system in place (Paul Hart?). Balanta and Langley isn't much of a feeder over 10 years is it? Go to West Ham and learn from the masters of that, if need be.

Use the loan system to our advantage, rather than Hull's or Stoke's, by sending our young talent out to clubs, so they can experience League Football and improve.

I don't want us to waste money anymore, that interview with Sullivan should be taken very seriously.
      But we are in a very lucky position where we could invest in the future, without having to sell everything that isn't nailed down.

I don't want "Flav Out", but I just desperately want him to wake up, and change his strategy of how to run a football club... MY football club.

And, to go right back to the start of this post..... STOP WASTING MONEY.

You're right. I don't want the Board out, but hope they saty on and have lerant from mistakes made so far.

Curbishley knows what to do. He can help with building a team to go up and setting up a system (maybe with Hart's help) to scout and develop good young players. He knows how to keep a side in the PL and even run it without running up huge debts i.e. Charlton.

It wont cost too much to win promotion. A £10M budget would suffice and is probably cheaper than hiring & firing managers/their staff, players (such as Alberti, Parejo, Ledesma, Di Carmine, Tomassi, Miller, Lopez, Pellicori, Watson, William etc) and agents.

I have nothing against bringing in a few loans, especially if they are going to be potential signings. My objection is bringing in players who add little value i.e. Reid or inexperienced young foreign players like Parejo |& Di Carmine, without giving them the time and help to settle.

Comment

Originally posted by MYU View Post
        Very good post and makes fans see from another light, it could be much worse and we are in a good position atm.

If they were to leave we'd be in big trouble no doubt and would have to sell sell sell.
        Compared to other clubs in the league (parachute payments apart).. we are in a good position.

But my main point was that we haven't made the most of that advantage, and have wasted far too much money. They (the owners) have to assess how things have progressed since the takeover, look at it again, and learn from mistakes.
        If they don't, and carry on with the current structure and attitudes, then they will just chuck even more cash down the pan.
        Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
          Compared to other clubs in the league (parachute payments apart).. we are in a good position.

But my main point was that we haven't made the most of that advantage, and have wasted far too much money. They (the owners) have to assess how things have progressed since the takeover, look at it again, and learn from mistakes.
          If they don't, and carry on with the current structure and attitudes, then they will just chuck even more cash down the pan.
          I think the fundamental problem is that the owners believe they'll make more money corporately (is that a word?) then they will as a football team. Shirt sponsorship, advertising, c-club etc etc probably made them more money then what the football league paid them for finishing 14th or what us fans make through the turnstiles. Until they realise that investment in the footballing side of things will bring a much greater return in the long term they'll never believe the need to spend.

Comment

Working...
          X