buying on the cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying on the cheap?

seaman,parker,bardsley,brevett,sinton,sincair,impe y and sir les.the makings of a not so bad team and all bought fairly cheap and from so called lesser clubs(at the time), i take it from most of the negative posts about transfer policy these type of players wouldnt be welcome at our club, lets go and spend and buy the likes of sheron,hately and spencer because they were expensive or from bigger clubs.

We used to have a couple of managers(ollie and gerry) that were very good at spotting lower league players!
    I came here to chew gum and kick ass,and I'm all outta gum!

Comment

Originally posted by andythefish View Post
      We used to have a couple of managers(ollie and gerry) that were very good at spotting lower league players!
      gerry being one of the best there is/was
      Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Originally posted by barumr View Post
        seaman,parker,bardsley,brevett,sinton,sincair,impe y and sir les.the makings of a not so bad team and all bought fairly cheap and from so called lesser clubs(at the time), i take it from most of the negative posts about transfer policy these type of players wouldnt be welcome at our club, lets go and spend and buy the likes of sheron,hately and spencer because they were expensive or from bigger clubs.
        I'm afraid you are harping back to the good old days, where unearthed gems could be found in the lower leagues. Under Gerry Francis I think we were excellent at finding those type of players but I'm sorry to say it but those days are well & trully gone.

Since the days of Sir Les and David Seaman we have had the introduction of the internet and agent culture has hit the football industry. These days if a lower league or youth player has even an ounce of talent he is being talked about on forums, videos are being put up on Youtube and agents and scouts are all over them!

These days you have to work much harder to find talent in the lower leagues and I'm sorry to say, there are many teams out there with a much stronger scouting system than us.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbie View Post
          I'm afraid you are harping back to the good old days, where unearthed gems could be found in the lower leagues. Under Gerry Francis I think we were excellent at finding those type of players but I'm sorry to say it but those days are well & trully gone.

Since the days of Sir Les and David Seaman we have had the introduction of the internet and agent culture has hit the football industry. These days if a lower league or youth player has even an ounce of talent he is being talked about on forums, videos are being put up on Youtube and agents and scouts are all over them!

These days you have to work much harder to find talent in the lower leagues and I'm sorry to say, there are many teams out there with a much stronger scouting system than us.
          Cough Cough
          @chrisrobson9

Comment

I'm sure if you were a little older, you would also have mentioned Messrs. Bowles, Givens, Thomas etc.

Just goes to prove that you do not have to spend big to buy talent or be successful. But you do need consistency with the manager and to get the players playing as a team.

Comment

:what:
              Sinclair, Parker, Seaman and Sinton were known commodities, wanted by other top flight clubs and we paid market rate for them those 20 years ago.

Only Impey and Les were the real poundshop signings.

Edit - let's also not forget Les, in the end, cost us £675,000 with the sell on clause. Sinclair was £750,000 - both fees far greater than anything we've shelled out in the past few seasons with our billionaire owners (please, no bull about Faurlin)
              Last edited by Nodge70; 05-01-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post

Sinclair, Parker, Seaman and Sinton were known commodities, wanted by other top flight clubs and we paid market rate for them those 20 years ago.

I spent 6 of the last 10 years partying on New Years Eve in the "Les Ferdinand Suite" at Hayes FC.

What a gem he was for us, Besiktas (where he is still a legend), Newcastle, Spuds and Hayes!

People forget how lucky we were to have a player like him
                Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post

Glad I read your response and its saved me the hassle of pointing this out.

Comment

True, most of them were peanuts to buy

Comment

Originally posted by ollyhoops View Post
                      True, most of them were peanuts to buy
                      Penauts today - not then. As I said, these weren't rejects, loans or unknowns - we paid market rate and, in the case of Dave Thomas, a premium because he was being courted by Everton and Leeds at the same time.

Let's not rewrite history to suit today's circumstances, eh? At the time, Dave Thomas' move to us was the 4th biggest transfer fee in UK history.

Comment

...........and it todays world if you pay peanuts.....

You get

monkeys (no need for me to name those players)

Comment

Buying the likes of a Sinton or Sinclair these days seem long and gone.Maybe the gap in the leagues has grown...but if we were to buy..lets say a Hooper and he didnt perform straight away, the fans would be on his and the club's back straight away.

Simon Cox went to WBA and they have been patient with him, but thats because they are not pinning all their hopes on him.

All clubs want instant stars these days.

The players we are being linked with(serious ones) are ones that haven.t really made it - not really wanted etc...£250,000 in the old days eqautes to about £2-3 m these days(just guessing - so don't jump on my back...lol)

If the board were seriously looking at a charge on promotion - then 3-4 players of the Kitson - Kilgallon or any other players beginning with K- are what we need.But then I assume wages are also an issue.

I expect 2-3 mediocre signings, not going to get us fans excited - but enough to establish us as a mid table team again this year.

Shame really - as 4-5 decent players in i feel would boost our chances.But then its not my money and its not FIFA or Pro football.

Comment

Oh dear slightly missing the point aren't you.

If it was a football man responsible for all our signings then your point may be valid

Comment

Originally posted by W12_Ranger View Post
                              Oh dear slightly missing the point aren't you.

If it was a football man responsible for all our signings then your point may be valid
                              jim gregory never used to interfere then,stuck to selling cars.sinton from brentford sinclair from blackpool both promising but not proven bit like beckford but many on here were saying he couldnt step up a level maybe he can maybe he cant but what i'm saying is fans dont seem to want these type of players they want us to spend big.

Comment

Working...
                              X