Why can't managers just be honest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't managers just be honest?

OK so I wasn't there but I listened to the radio and both the commentator and Steve Froggat described our defending as like a pantomime at times and were generally quite scathing. One suspects the defending will be lambasted in the press tomorrow too as it sounded embarrassing.

Then after the game Paul Hart trots out phrases like we defended strongly etc. Why insult our collective intelligences by trying to put a positive spin on it? OK I'll be honest I thought that we'd get a duffing up today and we somehow scraped a 1-1 draw but, if PH came out and said we were lucky and the defending was poor but we'll endevour to improve etc I'd be far more satisfied. I'd also respect his honest appraisal but to try and pull the wool over our eyes is silly IMHO and gets on my nerves.......

Anyway, not really sure how I feel as I am not overly confident that we'll beat them in front of an 8K crowd unless they come up with a cheapo deal and we can create a decent atmosphere.......

Originally posted by ahR View Post
    OK so I wasn't there but I listened to the radio and both the commentator and Steve Froggat described our defending as like a pantomime at times and were generally quite scathing. One suspects the defending will be lambasted in the press tomorrow too as it sounded embarrassing.

Then after the game Paul Hart trots out phrases like we defended strongly etc. Why insult our collective intelligences by trying to put a positive spin on it? OK I'll be honest I thought that we'd get a duffing up today and we somehow scraped a 1-1 draw but, if PH came out and said we were lucky and the defending was poor but we'll endevour to improve etc I'd be far more satisfied. I'd also respect his honest appraisal but to try and pull the wool over our eyes is silly IMHO and gets on my nerves.......

Anyway, not really sure how I feel as I am not overly confident that we'll beat them in front of an 8K crowd unless they come up with a cheapo deal and we can create a decent atmosphere.......

The cheapo deal just makes so much sense.....even if you don't get any more gate money in total, twice the supporters paying half price gives more atmosphere (and in theory more chance of progressing to the next round as long as those that go are positive) and more takings at the food/drinks stands?

Comment

Because someone would say "Oh our defenders will read those comments and get upset at the criticism".......

Comment

You take two letters from our club and you have

PR
        ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

What is said to the media and what is said in the changing room and on the training ground are two very different things!

Comment

Originally posted by Fawny View Post
            Because someone would say "Oh our defenders will read those comments and get upset at the criticism".......
            He wouldn't have to single out any particular players he could say that as a team we defended poorly etc there are ways these points can be conveyed. To just try and bluff it out is pointless IMO as this just gets fans' backs up I feel.

I realise that there's always a bit of psychology involved and wanting to show a united front etc and that he might well be saying something very different to the players but I'd still prefer more honesty....

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but when it has happened in the past some people don't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeping Giants View Post
                and more takings at the food/drinks stands?
                You tried getting served in Ellerslie even when we are half empty?.

:tired:

Comment

Wasn't there either, but the comments I've read from those that were don't seem to have been quite as negative as the radio commentary. Admittedly though no one has described the game as a festival of football.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie's Barnet View Post
                    Wasn't there either, but the comments I've read from those that were don't seem to have been quite as negative as the radio commentary. Admittedly though no one has described the game as a festival of football.
                    Scrappy game from two poor sides.But you have to be positive or you would never go to any games at the moment.

Comment

Its like when leighterwood says "were ready to bounce back" or disco dave says "were ready to make a promotion push" and they look like they dont give a s*** the next game, they have to say those things, how encouraging would it sound if the captain said "were f******, nobody gives a s*** we might as well give up"? i dont agree with it but players have to say it, managers should be honest though, magilton was honest about "the big time charlies" and look where it got him

Comment

very much agree with that post
                        ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                        THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by qpr-buzsaky View Post
                          Its like when leighterwood says "were ready to bounce back" or disco dave says "were ready to make a promotion push" and they look like they dont give a s*** the next game, they have to say those things, how encouraging would it sound if the captain said "were f******, nobody gives a s*** we might as well give up"? i dont agree with it but players have to say it, managers should be honest though, magilton was honest about "the big time charlies" and look where it got him
                          I'm pretty sure Magilton wasn't dismissed for being honest, and you may be missing the irony of suggesting this was the case where you are lambasting others for not being honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie's Barnet View Post
                            I'm pretty sure Magilton wasn't dismissed for being honest, and you may be missing the irony of suggesting this was the case where you are lambasting others for not being honest.
                            Magilton lost the dressing room, he obviously told the truth because things got a bit heated in the dressing room at watford and it led to him being sacked, if managers told the truth, do you think that players would want to play under them? if your manager told the press you thought you were the best player at the club and you played s*** would you want to play under them? managers should be honest, but you can take honesty too far as magilton has shown us, managers should be honest, only commenting on how you played as a team because you should only talk to individuals in private, but nowadays anything can get you sacked especially at qpr so managers have to watch their mouth

Comment

Originally posted by qpr-buzsaky View Post
                              Magilton lost the dressing room, he obviously told the truth because things got a bit heated in the dressing room at watford and it led to him being sacked, if managers told the truth, do you think that players would want to play under them? if your manager told the press you thought you were the best player at the club and you played s*** would you want to play under them? managers should be honest, but you can take honesty too far as magilton has shown us, managers should be honest, but nowadays anything can get you sacked, especially at qpr so managers have to watch their mouth
                              he couldn't have always told the truth...he denied the headbutt saga........

Comment

Working...
                              X