Just Back on the Island...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Back on the Island...

I deliberately didn't post anything on yesterdays game as I thought I would have a more well reasoned post if I allowed myself to calm down. Unfortunately I'm even more angry than I was yesterday! For anyone interested here is my thoughts on our game at Portman Road.

I have to say that I wasn't particularly confident going into the game. Our performance on Saturday was dull and uninspiring, and even with blue and white tinted specs - you would have to say that Bristol City were absolutely robbed. I don't think that I have ever been so downbeat after a victory... it was quite a surreal feeling. That added to the fact that Ipswich Town would be no pushovers (despite their league position) made me think it would be a tough one to call. I think on paper maybe you would say that this is a game that we should (easily?) be winning, but I really didn't see it that way at all.

Obviously things started in the worst possible way for us. I think it was Leigertwood that gave away possession, and once the ball was played in behind Ramage there was only ever going to be one winner. I haven't seen the replays again, but I felt that he should have done much better and possibly even cut that ball out as well?

The game could have had a far different outcome had Taarabt manage to finish off the two guilt edged chances that came along.

Ramage came forward to support Routledge, and in all fairness put in a quite marvelous cross right onto the head of Taarabt who was unmarked. Unfortunately the ball seemed to just skim off his head and wide for a goal kick. He really should have done better, and had he put it on target no doubt it would have been a goal - the keeper was in no mans land.

Shortly after another golden opportunity came along. Again the cross came in from the right hand side, and Taarabt somehow ballooned the ball over the bar from little more than 6 yards out. Again it was extremely unlucky, and 99 times out of a 100 he would have put this one away as well.

There was also a penalty shout when I think Simpson was fouled in the area? I have to say I didn't have a great view of it, so I'll leave it to the television replays to decide that one.

Ipswich on the other hand were a completely different animal. They were flooding forward, and the physical presence of Stead was causing havoc throughout the game. With the width that Carlos Edwards was providing complimenting that perfectly, you really did feel that they would score every single time that they came forward.

I am racking my brains to think of any stage of that game were I felt we might actually hurt them, but I really just couldn't see it. Taarabt was our only real outlet, and I think he had a cracking game despite his two missed chances.

Paul Hart substituted him towards the end for Balanta, which was again met with furious chants of "You don't know what you're doing" and for probably the first time since following QPR, I sincerely agree with this chant. But I'll give my reasons for that later into the report.

As the game ticked down towards the end, it was no shock to see Ipswich pop in a further couple of goals. I think we are fortunate that they didn't score even more if I'm being honest.

Much has been said about Leigertwood and his leadership qualities... but I thought it was worth mentioning that despite a few boos (it was a few, nothing like the intensity at LR), he marched the players over to the away end and made sure that they clapped the supporters. Following Rowlands outburst on Saturday, I think he could learn an awful lot from Leigertwood here. I certainly appreciated it, and clapped until each and every one of them had left the pitch. Well done Leigertwood, nice to see him have the balls to approach the fans after what was again a very poor performance.

There were a couple of players that I thought were worthy of a mention, but there was certainly one that REALLY caught my eye yesterday... Ben Watson!

Player Ratings -

Watson - I think we have all seen some poor performances from individual QPR player's over the years, but never have I seen a player so reluctant to actually put his foot into a challenge. To say he looked dis-interested would be a horrific understatement. From as early as the first few minutes it was clear his mind was elsewhere, and it went from being blatantly obvious - to just downright insulting. I would say that he pulled out of 50/50 balls, but again it wouldn't do justice. Maybe if I said that a ball he would win 95/100 times he didn't even attempt to go for might be a little closer to the truth. I hate booing or slating players, it never does any good IMO. But boy did he need a kick up the backside yesterday. I think we have all seen the rumours about him not returning to QPR, and that being his last game for us... well all I will say it that I am absolutely overjoyed that I won't see him in a QPR shirt ever again. An absolutely appalling performance, and really was not fit to wear the shirt. I felt it was a mistake from Hart to start him anyway, but how/why he didn't replace him with Faurlin I just don't know... But I suppose that sums up our new boss doesn't it. We may as well have had 10 men on the pitch.

Leigertwood - Despite his mistake for the first goal, I actually thought he had a very good game yesterday. So strong in the tackle, and I will say that my opinion that he should play RB has completely gone up in smoke judging by his last few games in centre midfield. He did lose the ball a couple of occasions, but every single time he did he attempted to win it back... and more often than not he did. Absolutely pivotal to the side now, we can't afford to lose him.

Buzsaky - Again wasted on the left hand side. Another very quiet performance from him. I can't think of the last time he lit up a game like we all know he can. Admittedly playing in an incorrect position isn't helping.

Taarabt - I thought he was probably our best player on the pitch yesterday. Full of tricks and fancy footwork... and (for one of the few times this season) he was actually passing the ball around. There is no two ways about it, he really should have finished both chances that came his way, and he did attempt some ridiculous long range efforts... but at least he was having a go. All he tried to do for the full game was make things happen, even if they didn't come off. Some of his passing out wide to Routledge was just sublime, very impressed with him.

Balanta - Thought he looked very lively when he came on at the left hand side of midfield. I was raving about him after his form earlier in the season, and he looked a far bigger threat than Buzsaky. Ghosted past players as if they weren't there, and one of the few positives from another very bad day at the office.

Now onto Paul Hart....

I would like to think that I was a fairly reasonable fan. I don't like the huge turn around of managers that we have had since the takeover, and it's not conducive to running a football club properly and being successful. But as fickle as it may sound, I would get rid of him already, or alter his position so as to save further embarrassment on our part... Because I have no doubt that our final league position will be far more cringe-worthy if he is left in charge.

Just looking back over the 3 games that he has been in charge... I think it's probably the most bored that I have been all season. How many chances have we created over these games?

Paul Hart may be a good manager in certain jobs, and if we were scrapping at the bottom of the table I could see why a club may appoint him. But when challenging for promotion, he is just not the answer. His philosophy is clear - defend defend defend. We have players that are the envy of plenty of other Championship clubs... Routledge, Taarabt, Simpson, Buzsaky to name a few, but they all follow a similar pattern - and it's certainly not being gritty and playing ugly.

Magilton gave them free reign, and it is was just mouthwatering to watch. I see people just talk about Magilton in this 'purple patch' but look back at my reports on his games throughout the season. Even if we didn't win, I just couldn't knock him because it was just so good to watch. Maybe this wasn't all fans opinions, but it was certainly mine.

It comes down to what you want I suppose... do you want a manager that takes more pleasure in attacking and pummeling sides, or one that wants to defend and see what you can rob (it really will be robbery with his defensive style) every game?

My fear is that THIS is the season to do it. Player's like Taarabt and Simpson likely won't be here next season if we are still playing our trade at CCC level, and it's quite possible that some of our own players may follow them out the door IMO. We have a squad more than capable of really doing something this season, but I fear that this is going to be ruined and destroyed with Paul Hart at the helm.

Genuinely I don't want to see this football another minute longer. No doubt he will be out the door if we play like this at home... Flavio will not be a happy man.

I say admit the mistake and just get rid now before our supporters are bored into submission and our season effectively ends.

I'll just add that I haven't advocated any of our managers getting the chop, this is a first for me... but it just has to happen.

"You don't know what you're doing!"

Fantastic read mate, fantastic read...makes me actually think i was there.

Thank you.
    Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Cheers Scott, I hope that you managed to capture my anger in that :(

Comment

Great report, top man.

Comment

Very good SM.

The Caretaker should be running our youth set-up, not the first team.

We need a boss who commands respect by his past achievements and reputation within the game.
          Will NEVER happen while the current set-up is in place.

NEVER.
          Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report.

I understand what you mean about PH - i just can't understand why anyone on here defended the appoinment in the first place. Got to be the worst we have made for a long time and that is saying something.
            twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Good write up regarding the game, however Hart must be left to do his job till the end of the season. What is worrying, is that no manager will touch this job if Hart was to leave.

It really is a sad state of affairs, and I don't think you can blame Hart or any other previous manager.

I have always been a fan of GP but I do now feel it would be best for the club, if he was to step down. I also think losing some of our board would not have a negative effect either. They might be billionaires but it is clear they are not really serious about QPR.

The club should be sold and followed by a new manager and we start building again.
              I also don't think we should have to many billy big balls playing in the shirt.

I am fed up of Buzz and others saying the fans should be patient.
              Many of the players need a kick up the ####.
              I don't agree with Mag losing it, however I do understand his frustration.
              Last edited by WeAreQPR12; 29-12-2009, 02:19 PM.
              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

good read sm cheers.
                @chrisrobson9

Comment

i agree about Hart and genuinely think whoever had the idea to appoint him needs sacking too or if it was Flav needs to stay out of making footballing decisions.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments everyone

Have to say (extreme I know) but I really think that him leaving or moving upstairs etc IS the best thing for us.

We all know we won't go anywhere with him in charge. I would rather see Ainsworth/Gallen in charge for the rest of the season... atleast the players will attack the opposition.

Comment

Thank you SM great post.

I totally agree PH must go, his job is to pick the players up and motavate them.

Judging by the body language of the players,he has failed to do this.

Comment

Thanks Zanney.

I think the amount of us fans that are all saying the same thing has to count for something. Think we can all see it, it's just about whether the club can stand the humiliation of getting rid of yet another manager.

Comment

Great read well done! looking forward to my trip to HQ on Sat 9th! you R'ssssssssss!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X