Sousa's tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sousa's tactics

Now i keep hearing that he was negative for playing 4-5-1, but please do tell me how much defending players like Routeledge, Traabat and Cook do?

This is a modern formation used by top clubs all over Europe which gives you 5 midfielders when defending and 3 'forwards' when attacking.

Chelsea played this formation when they won the prem for 2 years on the bounce.

The fact of the matter is that we had no 'solid' centre mid players (and we still dont) and we had no stricker to work the opposing centre halfs.

Also if you look back over a majority of Sousa's games we had some great chances fall to our players to turn draws into wins and they couldnt take them. Just think about Alberti & Gorkss against Sheff Utd, Traabat against Palace, Everyone against Norwich and so on.

This is where the need for a 'poacher' to convert these chances is needed and before anyone says it, Blackstock is not this man. Dont get me wrong, he is a good stricker and will get you 10 goals a season but he doesnt 'play on the defenders shoulder' and 'gamble' on through balls. This is probably why Sousa opted for Di Carmine as this is the way he 'tries' to play but he simply isnt up to it.

I say we need 2 good stricker i.e. Lita (the poacher) and Folan/Fallon type player to win the high balls. We also need a centre midfielder who is a captain figure. I think the lack of Ben Watson being signed has cost us more then any of us think.

Right system wrong players,square pegs in round holes as they say.
    We move on.

Comment

Originally posted by EYR View Post
      Right system wrong players,square pegs in round holes as they say.
      We move on.
      Yes i agree which is why the sporting director system doesnt really work. The manager needs to bring in the players he needs to play the formation he wants to play.

Comment

In an ideal world the gaffer chooses the players he wants to fit the system and the DoF goes out signs them up.
        At QPR its
        GAFFER "id like a forward,big target man with good ball control"
        DoF " well ive got you Coventry's 3rd choice LB"

Comment

In an ideal world the gaffer chooses the players he wants to fit the system and the DoF goes out signs them up.
          At QPR its
          DoF " well ive got you Coventry's 3rd choice LB"
          Haha, exactly. Great system isnt it?!

But i thought it went -

DoF " well ive got you a stricker who has hardly played for Bolton and failed the medical "

Comment

Originally posted by barnethoop View Post
            Haha, exactly. Great system isnt it?!

But i thought it went -

DoF " well ive got you a stricker who has hardly played for Bolton and failed the medical "
            Yes thats defo how it goes hahaha

Comment

Yes thats defo how it goes hahaha
              lol nice one
              The future's bright...the future is blue and white.
              :grimace:

Comment

Working...
              X