Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why will the board not invest on the playing side.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why will the board not invest on the playing side.....

I really cant get my head round it.

If we want to have a really good crack at promotion next season then that will mean investing more on the playing side.

I watched the Birmingham v Wolves game Monday night and compared the forward lines that they have available...

Blake
    Phillips
    Jermoe
    Harewood

I think Birmingham paid 5 million for Laarson?

It's common place that we have a high wage bill, the best hospitality in the division so why be so tight on the paying transfer fees for top on the playing side of things?

The squad that we have in order to make a decent fist of promotion is not that far away 4-5 million and a few free transfers would do it?

I know Flavio has won F1 on a budget and I am not suggesting that we blow 20 million on rubbish but you do need to invest if we are going to progress to the promised land.

These guys earn millions in interest alone on some of there investments.

I'm really glad that we have the board that we do Flavio and Bernie should take a bow on the commercial partnerships they have bought in to the club.

I think that Amit and the Mittalls are a fantastic family to have on our board of directors, apart from the season ticket prices
    and a few gripes most of the supporters are right behind you some come on guys this summer, less spending on C-Club
    and the Boutique brand and more on a couple of quality buys.

We really are not that far away from having a good side and a great chance next year.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/1882QP...5398272?ref=ts

Originally posted by Funky View Post

If we want to have a really good crack at promotion next season then that will mean investing more on the playing side.

I watched the Birmingham v Wolves game Monday night and compared the forward lines that they have available...

Blake
    Phillips
    Jermoe
    Harewood

It's common place that we have a high wage bill, the best hospitality in the division so why be so tight on the paying transfer fees for top on the playing side of things?

The squad that we have in order to make a decent fist of promotion is not that far away 4-5 million and a few free transfers would do it?

I know Flavio has won F1 on a budget and I am not suggesting that we blow 20 million on rubbish but you do need to invest if we are going to progress to the promised land.

I'm really glad that we have the board that we do Flavio and Bernie should take a bow on the commercial partnerships they have bought in to the club.

I think that Amit and the Mittalls are a fantastic family to have on our board of directors, apart from the season ticket prices
    and a few gripes most of the supporters are right behind you some come on guys this summer, less spending on C-Club

We really are not that far away from having a good side and a great chance next year.
    Agree. If the club spend on the cheap, we wont get promoted and the losses will keep coming. One big spend could mean prem football and see more money coming into the club.

Comment

We can't afford decent players but we can afford to give interest free loans to directors.

Comment

Well the board will have to justify most things at the AGM which will be the right time to discuss this.

My original post though is with relation to invest on the playing staff not loans paid out to the Chairman of QPR.

Comment

well i'm wondering if it fits in with what I've been saying for ages, they're only spending eveybody else's money, not their own. when the money runs out each season, no more spending

Comment

Blake
            Phillips
            Jermoe
            Harewood

Good post Funky, The money is in the prem, quicker we get there, we know the rest.
            They seek him here.................

Comment

I agree Funky. It is not as if we even need to have spent/spend a great deal of money. Last January we should have bought Ebanks-Blake when he was available for £1.5m. Ben Watson is now scoring and playing in the Premiership but we didn't fork out the £2m for him.

These two signings could have been the difference between where we are at a top 6 finish.

Comment

Believe me I am not the boards biggest fan by a long way, but to say they haven't invested in the playing side is a little unfair. How many players have we signed since they came in? I would guess we have signed somewhere in the region of 20 - 30 or so players (including loans) since they came in around 18 months ago. Some of these have been great :Buz,Vine,Gorkss, Connelly to name a few. Some have been middling to indifferent and some have not worked out or been poor ( I will leave you to fill in the blanks)

I believe they have invested a fair amount of money in the playing side when you include transfer fees and wages but the point is have they invested it wisely? Some of the signings have been 'curious' to say the least. Rather than getting in 2-3 avarage players most fans would have prefered to have got 1 quality player instead. The problem as I see it with this is as follows.

Players like Ebanks Blake and Phillips for example didn't come to us. At the time of Ebanks Blake moving, swopping QPR for Plymouth would have been a sideways move at best. We had struggled the previous few seasons and coming to us would not at that time have enhanced his chance in playing in the top league. Wolves have been firmly established as Play Off contenders for the last few years and so that was a more appealing move. Phillips I would loved to have seen however with him I think the opportunity not to relocate his family (kids at school etc) and play for a side with realsitic promtion aspirations again left us trailing.

We have to remember where we were pre Briatore etc. Struggling. This season has't been great, far from it in fact but the one good thing to come out of it is that we have been entrenched in the top half for the vast majority of the season.

This type of performance will make us more attractive to players as if they are offered good money and can see progress is being made in terms of league positon they may be more inclined to come here. Whether they will put up with the managerial merry go round is another issue.

As I said I am not an advocate for the current board as I think they have made many fundamental errors but I do believe that they have invested. Maybe not to the extent of Fulham a few years ago, but certainly more than we have seen in the last decade.

Comment

pblock, you are right we have invested in players and the majority of the fans as you rightly say would have preferred quality not quantity.

The non-signing that still puzzles me is that of Ben Watson. We didn't sign him in the summer but have since bought in Parejo, Tomassi, Lopez and Miller to play in the centre of midfield, which I would imagine would have cost the club on salaries and deals the difference between the £1.25 we offered and the £2m that was wanted.

Comment

I think it's a classic case of the club trying to do things on the cheap.

if we had Ben Watson, Routledge, Kevin Phillips at the start of the season I'd imagine we would be in a play off place right now.

This summer it looks like the club will not invest heavily in the signing of players in my opinion a big mistake with the resources available we should be able to have the pick of the best from the Championship.

Instead we look to loans and bargains you cant win promotion on the cheap you have to spend a bit on quality.

Comment

totally agree Funky, they came in with a blaze of glory spouting off about Champions league nonsense and haven't spent the money they've LOANED to us wisely, instead they've looked after themselves in plush surroundings without any substance on the pitch. and then blaming it on the manager by sacking/undermining him.
                      They need to spend minimum £5m on strikers and get Buz, Vine back then just maybe were in with a chance next season.

Comment

Indeed promotion to the promised land would see them get a faster return on their original outlay as well.

Comment

Indeed promotion to the promised land would see them get a faster return on their original outlay as well.
                          Unfortunately we all know this because we all have an interest in football - maybe those at the club who also know this should tell Briatore.

Comment

How much is the entire promotion thing worth anyway?

Has to be at least 50 million? plus parachute payments

Comment

Indeed Funky, i had this argument at the beginning of the season, spend some now and the rewards would be high, but instead the ITKs said no they will if were near the play-offs, well we were and we still didn't spend hardly anything. But we have spent big on Chandaliers and exec boxes. And the club are paying the owners to sit there in the form of interest payments on the loans they've lent out.

Comment

Working...
                              X